Optoma HD33 vs Casio XJ-A240 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title obviously suggests heads up and I know the Optoma wins by leaps and bounds. But what if a local retailer had the XJ-A240 for $599.00 and I am presently using an 8 year old 4:3 Dell 2200MP? Will I be satified or wowed or should I simply save more money and get the HD33?

I know there are some real PQ snobs out there who will flame the very question, but I don't want to hear from those guys. I want to hear from people who can give me practical explanations and opinions.

This is a MAJOR dilemna for me. I went to Best Buy today to see the HD33 and they don't have them to watch. And the Casio is also not available to watch but it can be brought back at no charge within 30 days.

Here is the real question: Is a true 1080p HT projector going to be leaps and bouds better than a 720p data projector? And.............taking into consideration the 20,000 hour lamp life, 2X remote Zoom and $599.00 asking price will this projector be good for watching movies and sports? $599 folks! It is calling me.....HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Well, if you can get the Casio with a 30-day return policy, why not just try it out and see if you like it? Honestly, if I could get it for that price, I would try it in a heartbeat. But my screen size is pretty small compared to most here (max 80", though I usually run more like 50") and I think regular DVDs look great on my Optoma H27 (480p), so I'm not a videophile by any means.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post

Well, if you can get the Casio with a 30-day return policy, why not just try it out and see if you like it? Honestly, if I could get it for that price, I would try it in a heartbeat. But my screen size is pretty small compared to most here (max 80", though I usually run more like 50") and I think regular DVDs look great on my Optoma H27 (480p), so I'm not a videophile by any means.

Thanks for your reply. You have a good idea about just trying it out! Honestly, over the last few days I have been searching and reading so much I got the feeling I might just go crazy.....lol Then I stumbled upon a few videos of people running the Epson HD and 3D machines and could actually see the HUGE brightness and quality differences. Then after readin countelss threads I realized that the Optoma machines seem to have real quality issues. In the end, I have decided...............

Whatever I buy, it will a machine with a good history of reliablity, a light canon, and a great deal while on sale somewhere. Probably the Mitsubishi HC4000, Epson 3010, 8350, or something from the higher end of the scale which goes on clearance or a refurb model.

As far as the 2 projecotrs I started this thread about, they are both completely off of my radar now. The Optoma brand in general just seems to have way too many reliability issues and the Casio, although impressive in many ways and a HUGE deal of a price is way too much of a compromise in terms of HT PQ.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM

The Casios picture really isn't that terrible. Its actually really good for gaming.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexas View Post

The Casios picture really isn't that terrible. Its actually really good for gaming.

I'd be interested to see some screen shots.........from what I have seen on the net it is not really good for watching movies. Tell me more if you have an opinion and can save me big bucks it is still on sale.......$599.00
post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM

There are people here who love the Casio and otheres who hate it. The people here who say it's not good for movie watching are videophiles (nothing wrong with that, just be aware of it). They want every color to match a standard and everything to be perfect. If you are like that, then you probably don't want the Casio. But if you're the kind of guy who buys a tv and just plugs it in and never even thinks to calibrate the colors or anything... then give the Casio a shot. With that return policy, you really have nothing to lose.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Well, I can put my two cents in about picture quality. Sometimes, matter if fact, most of the time its overblown. I have a $8K JVC RS55 and I calibrate it with a i1pro meter that is around $1000. It scales resolution up to 2160p. Excellent movie experience. But I watch 90% of my content on a $400 Acer H5360. HDTV, consoles, netflix, etc. is 720p or less. Only blu rays are 1080p and a 720p projector looks good with blu rays also. If the cheap acer was not acceptable to watch, I would not attempt to watch it at all. I use it for everything, and it makes a great computer monitor. I wish I could get the Casio in place of my acer. Personally, I would get the Casio until you can get something better. There really isn't a big improvement until you get one of the $2K machines.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 539
It depends on how close you'll be sitting. With a 720p projector, the pixel grid can be kind of annoying if you're sitting at a recommended screen size vs. seating distance.

Since 3D is seemingly not an issue, there are other budget 1080p projectors that would probably be better looking once calibrated than the 720p Casio. It also doesn't seem to support a 1080p signal off of a Blu-ray disc, just 1080i. Strange. It's also a 16:10 panel rather than a standard 16:9.

How about an Epson 8350 or Panasonic AR100U (depends on your room environment... the Epson has better blacks, less digital noise and a quieter fan, but has less lumens)?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys. I am over the Casio as far as value, because for any dollar amount I should not compromise on what I can get with a bit of patience. Last year I bought a 4.0 Mustang and knew that if I waited about 3 months I could have had the all new 3.7..........I found the, "deal of the century" on my 4.0. Now I hear the 3.7's coming down the road and ask myself.....self, why didnt you wait?

All of that aside, the Optoma GT750E, seems more like a "steal" I guess I just got too excited about the price for the Casio and after all of the research, and believe me I have done a lot, the GT750E stands out like a thumb in terms of value compared to anything else on the market. If I am wrong about this, I dont even want to hear about it........ After all of the reading I have done any new ideas would just be bad news. It is settled.................OPTOMA GT750E. It does everything I need.........

big picture in a small room, 720p seems to be what most things are broadcast in anyway, 3D right out of my PS3 without add-ons or computers, most reviews, including respectable high-end reviewers say it has spot on colours right out of the box............oh and did I mention the $750 or so street price?

Thanks for your replies, but thankfully, my girl talked me out of the Casio. It was a compromise............I love my 4.0 Mustang, but she is slow as hell and eats gas like a pig...........no more compromises.............yes the HD33 sounds better for some, but I am in a small room and the short throw and half the price the GT750E is just perfect!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3rpl8yer View Post

Well guys. I am over the Casio as far as value, because for any dollar amount I should not compromise on what I can get with a bit of patience. Last year I bought a 4.0 Mustang and knew that if I waited about 3 months I could have had the all new 3.7..........I found the, "deal of the century" on my 4.0. Now I hear the 3.7's coming down the road and ask myself.....self, why didnt you wait?

All of that aside, the Optoma GT750E, seems more like a "steal" I guess I just got too excited about the price for the Casio and after all of the research, and believe me I have done a lot, the GT750E stands out like a thumb in terms of value compared to anything else on the market. If I am wrong about this, I dont even want to hear about it........ After all of the reading I have done any new ideas would just be bad news. It is settled.................OPTOMA GT750E. It does everything I need.........

big picture in a small room, 720p seems to be what most things are broadcast in anyway, 3D right out of my PS3 without add-ons or computers, most reviews, including respectable high-end reviewers say it has spot on colours right out of the box............oh and did I mention the $750 or so street price?

Thanks for your replies, but thankfully, my girl talked me out of the Casio. It was a compromise............I love my 4.0 Mustang, but she is slow as hell and eats gas like a pig...........no more compromises.............yes the HD33 sounds better for some, but I am in a small room and the short throw and half the price the GT750E is just perfect!

I would choose the GT750 too. Think about it, almost everything is 720p anyways. Only blu rays are 1080p, and to take full advantage of its quality on a projector, you will need a $2k+ model at the least, most like you will have to spend close to $3k to be fully satisfied with every little detail. I love my GT720, its very portable and extremely bright. I even use it on my 220in outdoor screen in the summer. Good buy and good luck
post #11 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

ty blee, I am looking forward to it!! I am now looking at the best screen for the money. I have a 92 inc Da-Lite Model B which has been great, but I ant to go bigger or stay home....lol

Seems the best size for my area is 106" and I am considering a manual pull down, but worry about fabric probles. My Dalite is awesome as it is tensioned by using a device in the back..........these other manuals with roll ups worry me.but they are inexpensive.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3rpl8yer View Post

ty blee, I am looking forward to it!! I am now looking at the best screen for the money. I have a 92 inc Da-Lite Model B which has been great, but I ant to go bigger or stay home....lol

Seems the best size for my area is 106" and I am considering a manual pull down, but worry about fabric probles. My Dalite is awesome as it is tensioned by using a device in the back..........these other manuals with roll ups worry me.but they are inexpensive.

How much do you want to spend?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

How much do you want to spend?

I didn't realize how much of a scrooge/miser/cheapskate I was until just a few years ago. I always thought I was just a good shopper. lol

If money was not an issues I woud not be in here grappling for every angle; I would simply go to that expensive place where the salesman are real jerks and get the best of the best. But since I am who I am I will have to do the same thing I did while finding the GT750E.....research and scour! I work from home on the computer and only passively so I can literally spend as much time as I want seeking the best price for the best option out there.

So far Elite Screens seems like the best bang for the money.......but I have only been looking at them for a couple of days now.......
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP