Can I fit a projector in my car? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If someone goes to a forum discussing cars and they find out that a car costing $10k is 95% as good as ones costing $40k, its not hard to tell which way most people will go.

If the sponsors of that forum happen to be selling the $40k car, and what’s more, they can’t even sell the $10k car, well they might get a little upset.

Now if the forum is broken up, so that the comparison between the cars cannot be so easily made, then people may think the $10k car is not a serious contender, and go back to spending $40k

Just a thought
El
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
As I understand it, this isn't a business decision for AVS at all but rather one for the forum.

Reading into it, it seems dealers are going after people in the lower-end of the market and they need a way to make it easy to filter apart the messages.

Dealers pretending to be endusers and using the PM system kind of goes against the spirit of things here. Personally, I'm in the market for an AE100 but I wouldn't go with someone who uses such underhanded tactics. I enjoy the forum too much to not support it like that.

There are much more noble people like Kwon who got a button for ********** who I plan on going with. AVS isn't even a seller for most of these lower-end projectors.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

The way I see is even the 40K car will eventually become a 10K, it is just a matter of time, when a few months ago I spent 8K for one of my PJs I never thought that one is almost worth as a second class today. like any other electronic equipment it is just a matter of time to be replace with new technology. I do have some mix filling about dividing PJs into two different prices categories. Perhaps the most politically way should have been light out put and resolution.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 07:46 PM

Funny thing about the "spamming" issue. I can't remember reading a single post complaining of what, if it were true, is a rather sleazy and underhanded marketing ploy. If it were really true I'd be upset as well.

What I find amusing is that if it weren't for the AE100 I'd never have been able to jump into the world of pj's, thus wouldn't have ordered an HTPC, nor would I be purchasing cables, VGA switches etc. from AVScience and the sponsors of this site. In a few years all of us newbies will be a ready market for more upscale pj's etc.............and AVScience will reap the rewards.......at least we can hope so.
To paraphrase Chairman Mao "a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step". It's important to think long term in the world of business.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 08:41 PM

And I thought someone was going to put a projector in their car....would definetly settle issues whether or not to have hidden speakers, and would narrow choices for screen size.....Also would be kind of funnny to go to a drive-in, and then play your own movie inside your car.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 09:20 AM

Actually I've thought about putting a projector in the car, for a long road trip you could follow a nice clean tractor and trailer, and watch a movie from the trailor doors! :D But just think how many people would slow down and cause a traffic jam on the interstate. You could even get a FM transmitter and let people recieve the audio! :D Would this violate the public display of dvd laws?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

i actually once did a job where i found myself in the back of a car squeezed in with a really large projector, where we drove past a movie camera while projecting an image on a wall.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzman
i actually once did a job where i found myself in the back of a car squeezed in with a really large projector, where we drove past a movie camera while projecting an image on a wall.
huh? I don't understand what you just said?:confused:
post #9 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

it was for a tv show. they wanted a volkswagen bug to drive past with an image on a wall behind it moving with the car.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #10 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Can we all stop second guessing the owners here. They attempted to segrigate the true HT PJ's and the comodity class PJ's ( the could have chosen better names, but that's another topic ). I applaud them for the change, as it will allow for me to follow BOTH forums better without being overwhelmed.

Personally I do believe that there should be a Digital PJ - General thread for things like interfacing, screens, and modding as they generally apply across the board.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #11 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, though a 9" crt does have some challenges. Total light control is a must. I find that spraying black paint over the inside AND the outside of the widows gives the best results. :eek:
post #12 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I thought you really wanted to put a projector in your car. Then I thought, "he must be from New Mexico" (like me) but then I realized you were trying to put a projector in a car and not a monster truck or sport ute!

:D

It's an interesting idea, though! Maybe we need to work on it.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2002, 07:13 PM

I can see it now........The HT Class from Mercedes Benz
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page