Best place in ceiling to put outlet for projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, Just finished framing my basement. The electrician is coming in soon, and we are going to put an outlet in the ceiling for my (future) projector. I plan to be buying the projector in about a months time.

I have not decided on a projector to purchase yet, so I'm curious what's the best general distance from the screen to place the plug? To give me the best versatility when choosing which projector.

I'll be projecting onto about a ~100" screen. Will also be running an HDMI cable.

It's quite a long room, I could go probably up to 15' away from the screen if needed. (I'm fairly sure I won't need nearly that distance though..)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading View Post

Hi All, Just finished framing my basement. The electrician is coming in soon, and we are going to put an outlet in the ceiling for my (future) projector. I plan to be buying the projector in about a months time.

I have not decided on a projector to purchase yet, so I'm curious what's the best general distance from the screen to place the plug? To give me the best versatility when choosing which projector.

I'll be projecting onto about a ~100" screen. Will also be running an HDMI cable.

It's quite a long room, I could go probably up to 15' away from the screen if needed. (I'm fairly sure I won't need nearly that distance though..)

Thanks!

Wow, so many variables...you might want him to simply pull the wire, put some string on it and then once you figure out your projetor / mount you can simply pull it to the final resting spot and use a remodel box to finish it up.

Sorry, best I could do.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Thanks!

As the previous post said there are too many variables here, you really should have decided on a projector so you would know your throw distances - projector to screen. My advice is that it would be better to place the ceiling outlet too far back than too far forward. Nothing looks worse than having your power cable strung out in front of your projector IMO. Generally people try to keep the projector and outlet fairly close together.

If you are sure you are going with a 100" 16:9 screen here are some examples of projector to screen distance. This should give you a feel for where you want to be.

Epson 8350 - 13' 4"
Panasonic 7000 - 13' 1"
Optoma HD33 - 11' 10"
Panasonic AR100U - 12' 11"
Acer 9500 - 13' 2"
BenQ 7000 - 14' 1"

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply guys. Plumber is going to be busy for awhile, and the electrician can't come in till the plumber has finished. Looks like I've got a couple weeks now to decide.

Didn't know there was such a broad range in throw distances! I'll start doing some research on projectors soon so I can really nail down the throw distance.

Do you guys figure having the power outlet directly behind the projector would look best? Or I could put it to the left or right of the projector? Not sure what would look best.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks for the reply guys. Plumber is going to be busy for awhile, and the electrician can't come in till the plumber has finished. Looks like I've got a couple weeks now to decide.

Didn't know there was such a broad range in throw distances! I'll start doing some research on projectors soon so I can really nail down the throw distance.

Do you guys figure having the power outlet directly behind the projector would look best? Or I could put it to the left or right of the projector? Not sure what would look best.

Thanks again!

Well...my outlet is actually in the other room. The entrance to the outlet is RIGHT BEHIND and actually on top of the projector...very clean.

I have a UPC Battery Backup in the OTHER ROOM 8 FT away...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page