Best first projector for under $900 and 120" screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I have a quick question, I am looking for a good projector and hoping to get some insight on what you guys think, I will be using a Favi 120" electeric screen, 1.3 gain. I will be using it for movies and games only. 50/50. I have about 12ft to work with and the projector will be roof mounted and 50ft hdmi cable. I have decided on the screen, just need help choosing a projector. I have been leanant on the led as I want good picture, I have an led tv now and hoping for decent picture.

I have been considering:

Optoma GT750
Viewsonic Pro8200
Acer K330
Optoma ML500

Anyone have any thoughts on the above or a vote. Im so lost they all look good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingme425 View Post

Hi guys I have a quick question, I am looking for a good projector and hoping to get some insight on what you guys think, I will be using a Favi 120" electeric screen, 1.3 gain. I will be using it for movies and games only. 50/50. I have about 12ft to work with and the projector will be roof mounted and 50ft hdmi cable. I have decided on the screen, just need help choosing a projector. I have been leanant on the led as I want good picture, I have an led tv now and hoping for decent picture.

I have been considering:

Optoma GT750
Viewsonic Pro8200
Acer K330
Optoma ML500

With a screen that size, you should look for a 1080p projector
post #3 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

With a screen that size, you should look for a 1080p projector

Im looking at the viewsonic pro8200 1080p or the optoma hd20 or benq w1200 for $999, any insights on any of those, or another you may recommend sub $900.
post #4 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I would choose between the Benq 1200 and the Viewsonic. Both are good choices but I think the Viewsonic may give you a better picture, plus I'm sure its cheaper.

Other projectors to choose is the really bright Panasonic AR100U for $1000, the Mitsubishi HC4000 $1100, and the best choice I think is the Epson 8350 $1200. But the Mitsubishi and Espon are more than your budget but are the best value.

One thing you should note is the GT750 will look great gaming on this size screen. I used my GT720 on my 150in and 220in screens with no problem. I actually prefer my $500 Optoma projector over my $8000 JVC for gaming. Movies are a different story tho. Blu rays may look ok on your screen size with the Optoma, but all the other 1080p projectors I mentioned will be better.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would take the Viewsonic Pro 8200 over the w1200 and HD20 for most peoples uses, especially if you are a gamer. The Viewsonic is the better gaming projector over the other two, the Benq is slightly better at movies because of better blacks. Make sure the Viewsonic will fit in your room, it has a large offset.

The Viewsonic Pro8200 has almost zero gaming lag, the w1200 is nearly unuseable in games 100+ms lag. The Viewsonic is an exceptional NON-3D gaming projector, it will beat the 720p units in gaming. IMHO, the Viewsonic even beats the Epson 8350 in gaming and bright scenes and sharpness. I personally prefer the image of the Viewsonic over the Epson LCD image even for most movies, because the Viewsonic produces a more film-like image than the Epson due to a higher pixel fill ratio of DLP. Sure, SDE is not an issue at 1080p for most, but it still affects the smoothness of the image. People pay thousands for e-shift of the RS-55, and that is going even beyond the pixel fill simulation of DLP (much less LCD), so it shows you it still does matter.

Both the Benq and Viewsonic are about the same brightness. The Viewsonic has less rainbow effect if you are sensitive, even most people sensitive to RBE would find the Viewsonic to not be bothersome. I have owned a few different DLP's including the Mitsubishi hc4000, and other than the 6x color wheels of the Optoma hd33, the Pro8200 is the only one that doesn't have much rainbow effect under $1500 for me. I can spot one on a very rare occassion, but on a Mits or Benq DLP (which also have 4x color wheels), I can see them almost constantly in dark games or movies, but not on the Viewsonic. It is a 7 segment instead of a 6 segment wheel even though they all run at 4x, and this seems to make a huge difference.

That is why I still own the Viewsonic instead of other DLP's, because of almost zero RBE and zero LAG. Many of the 720p projectors only have 3x color wheels, and that is more RBE than even a Mits or Benq, much less the Viewsonic which has almost none. So the 720p DLP's have WAY too much RBE if you are sensitive (keep in mind most people aren't that sensitive to rainbows, but a good number are at 3x speed wheels).

I have over 1000 lamp hours on the Viewsonic with zero issues and the lamp is still VERY bright since the projector starts out so bright. I also own the JVC RS-45, and honestly unless I'm watching a movie with a ton of dark scenes, then I have no problem using the Viewsonic instead of the JVC to keep the lamp hours low on the JVC. I cannot say the same about other projectors I have owned. The Viewsonic is easily the best all-around DLP projector ever made under $1000 when you average it all the attributes out (gaming, brightness, sharpness, etc...). I also really like the Mits hc4000, but the problem with it was too much RBE for me and not enough brightness. The Viewsonic solves both and at a lower price, and the black levels are suprisingly close to the Benq w1200 (not quite as good).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks coderguy, I am leaning more towards the Viewsonic pro8200, I have about 14ft from wall to screen and using a 120" screen and will be sitting about 9ft away, really the only place the couchs can go. Is that way to close or is that fine?
post #7 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM

I owned the HD20 for several years before upgrading to the HD3300. I spent extensive time gaming on it (50/50 movies/games like you plan). I have never seen a lag-test performed on the Pro8200 but I did perform a lag-test myself for the HD20 owners thread which can be found here.

Conclusion, the HD20 actually outperformed my controlled variable, a 6ms rated Dell LCD monitor, impressive nonetheless. The 4X color wheel was a plus too. Good luck on your choice but don't sell the HD20 short on gaming performance.

post #8 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

@KINGME
It's slightly too close especially for gaming more so than movies. Generally if this is your first projector, it takes a bit to adjust to that size of an image from that close. Why not go to 100" to 110" instead, probably 106" would be perfect?

The HD20 has Dark Chip 2 and more RBE, the Pro8200 has Dark Chip 3 and less RBE.
The Viewsonic is slightly sharper (but not by tons). The Viewsonic is brighter and that does matter at this large screen size.
The Viewsonic has better blacks with a higher native on/off.

That is why I recommend the Viewsonic over the HD20, but the two aren't miles apart in these categories, but the Viewsonic just edges it out in several areas. The Viewsonic lamp is much brighter though and should last longer.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 23 Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I dont know why I want 120" seems hudge, but I only wanted to buy 1 screen and am moving into a house soon, I guess I will wait on the screen till I get the projector and then check it out from there. My question is because the Viewsonic has such a high throw and I want to mount it on the roof, I have a 8ft roof and need a short mount for it to work. Any ideas on that? I have had a 73" DLP tv before and it was cool, the 3d aspect was more like wow look at this, otherwise I personally never used it, more of a ahhh this is cool to guests, lol.

So two questions:
My room is 14ft long by 8ft high and 12ft wide, I want as big as a screen as possible, I guess 100" motorized would work, I want it to drop infront of my samsung led tv, Why does big just have to keep getting bigger, even the 73" felt small lol. would the projector be able to do 120" (if I was to go that route) at 12ft?

And I was looking at cheap 120" screens of ebay like Favi with 1.3 gain, are these worth it? I have spackeled walls so picture wont look good on that wall lol. (I also rent, so cant smooth the wall out, but proabbly could paint) its bright white right now, but was gonna paint the wall behind the screen like darkish blue, not black blue, more like a medium blue. What do you suggest for a screen.

Thanks for everything, I feel like everything is coming together so fast, I have decided on the projector, now need to worry about the screen(brand and gain), ambit light, and viewing distance. The screen will be 2 ft residing off the wall so even with the projector 1ft off the wall, thats only 11ft left.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I dont know why I want 120" seems hudge, but I only wanted to buy 1 screen and am moving into a house soon, I guess I will wait on the screen till I get the projector and then check it out from there. My question is because the Viewsonic has such a high throw and I want to mount it on the roof, I have a 8ft roof and need a short mount for it to work. Any ideas on that? I have had a 73" DLP tv before and it was cool, the 3d aspect was more like wow look at this, otherwise I personally never used it, more of a ahhh this is cool to guests, lol.

So two questions:
My room is 14ft long by 8ft high and 12ft wide, I want as big as a screen as possible, I guess 100" motorized would work, I want it to drop infront of my samsung led tv, Why does big just have to keep getting bigger, even the 73" felt small lol. would the projector be able to do 120" (if I was to go that route) at 12ft?

And I was looking at cheap 120" screens of ebay like Favi with 1.3 gain, are these worth it? I have spackeled walls so picture wont look good on that wall lol. (I also rent, so cant smooth the wall out, but proabbly could paint) its bright white right now, but was gonna paint the wall behind the screen like darkish blue, not black blue, more like a medium blue. What do you suggest for a screen.

Thanks for everything, I feel like everything is coming together so fast, I have decided on the projector, now need to worry about the screen(brand and gain), ambit light, and viewing distance. The screen will be 2 ft residing off the wall so even with the projector 1ft off the wall, thats only 11ft left.

I have a 120in and a 100in screen, the 120in is nice and huge. I think if you hey your environment dark, it will work. I would not get a Favi screen. What's your screen budget and do it have to be an electric screen?
post #11 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a 120in and a 100in screen, the 120in is nice and huge. I think if you hey your environment dark, it will work. I would not get a Favi screen. What's your screen budget and do it have to be an electric screen?

Screen budget is low under $300, I guess doesnt have to be electric but think it would be easier.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screen budget is low under $300, I guess doesnt have to be electric but think it would be easier.

I got a 135in manual pull down elite screen for $160 but Jamestown fixed frame screens are inexpensive. Or you can look through the AVS classifieds for used screens. I since Carada screens for $250 and less, which are really good screens
post #13 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got a 135in manual pull down elite screen for $160 but Jamestown fixed frame screens are inexpensive. Or you can look through the AVS classifieds for used screens. I since Carada screens for $250 and less, which are really good screens

Yeah I was looking at elites too, were did you buy yours? Thats a great deal, but lol, I dont think I could fit a 135 lol
post #14 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I was looking at elites too, were did you buy yours? Thats a great deal, but lol, I dont think I could fit a 135 lol

Look at this one

http://www.provantage.com/elite-scre...2~7ELSC06P.htm

Looks like they have lowered their prices. Provantage has the best deals on them
post #15 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

My question is because the Viewsonic has such a high throw and I want to mount it on the roof, I have a 8ft roof and need a short mount for it to work. Any ideas on that? .

With the Viewsonic's steep 33% offset, it will be difficult to go with larger screen sizes with an 8' ceiling. Keystone would almost be unavoidable on many.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

With the Viewsonic's steep 33% offset, it will be difficult to go with larger screen sizes with an 8' ceiling. Keystone would almost be unavoidable on many.

Here's a way to get the mount to about 1-1/2" to 2". Take two pieces of particle board or plywood, approximately 18-20" wide and the depth of the projector. Drill four 1/4" holes on the corner and mount carriage bolts to one of the pieces of wood using a nut to secure it. Screw that board to the ceiling with four drywall screws, attaching it to the rafters or bottom chord of the truss. If the placement of the projector is between joists or the joists run the wrong way, use to strips of wood to the joist. Then screw the plywood to those strips.
Mount the projector to the other plywood, drilling three holes that line up with the projector mounts (which I believe are 5 mm). Make these holes oversize and use a fender washer (that way you can make minor alignment adjustments to the projector after it's mounted). Snugly fasten the projector to the wood, but not so tight you can't move it around.
Then just fasten that board using the protruding carriage bolts. You can adjust the board to be perpendicular to the screen.
Pretty simple and very adjustable.
[IMG][/IMG]

You are right though that the offset does pose a problem in a room with an 8' or shorter ceiling height. The offset of the Viewsonic is the same as the HC4000 and several other projectors.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

With a 8ft cieling and about 12ft to work with whats the biggest screen can I go with? Does keystoning mess up the image?
post #18 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM

The limitation to the screen size is 14' dimension of the room.

Using the mount that I described which places the projector very close to the ceiling you could use a 120" screen. The offset would be approx. 26" and it would put the bottom of the screen at the floor.

Tilt the projector up 5° and tilt the screen out 4" and you would raise the bottom of the screen approx. 1.5' from the floor without using keystone.
[IMG][/IMG]
post #19 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Serious thanks so much for all the help, Now i know I could use a 120" screen, but from 8-9ft viewing distance what is the recommended screen size you would recommend? Also I was gonna purchase a electric screen that went up and down, can you angle those??
post #20 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Buy the projector first, project onto a wall or white sheet. Use it for a month, decide how big you like it, measure it, then buy the screen.

100" to 110" at most in general, but it varies depending on individual user preferences.

post #21 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Serious thanks so much for all the help, Now i know I could use a 120" screen, but from 8-9ft viewing distance what is the recommended screen size you would recommend? Also I was gonna purchase a electric screen that went up and down, can you angle those??

You would have to use a rigid screen to angle it like that. Practically, the bottom of a 100" screen would be approx. 2' off the floor, assuming you used a mount something like I drew.

A 110" screen would be about 1.5' off the floor.

IMO, both those are too close to the ground, but then I use a recliner when using the projector. I prefer to be looking slightly up.

The measurements I used assume only 2" between the bottom of the projector and ceiling. A normal mount would increase that by 6" or so and move the bottom of the screen down by that amount.
post #22 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

This guy has a pretty nifty calculator to get you in the ballpark based on SMPTE and THX guidelines, which can scale to our cinemas as well.

9' from a 120" screen (51 degree viewing angle) would be roughly equivalent to 1/3 from the front on a commercial movie theater.

100" screen at 9' puts you near the middle, relatively speaking of course.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have been considering:

Optoma GT750
Viewsonic Pro8200
Acer K330
Optoma ML500

Do you want 3D? If not, I'd only look at 1080p projectors at that price, if you do want 3D, at that price you're looking at 720p.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page