Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy my third projector. My first was a 720P BenQ PE8700+. My current one is a Panasonic AE2000U. Its been great (i've gone through five bulbs) but i'm having some problems with the fans (they are getting loud) and i'm getting the itch for 3D.

My usage breaks down like this:

50% TV (half sports half programs)
40% video games
10% movies/blu ray

As you can see lag is important to me. That sort of takes the Epson projectors out of the equation.

I'm debating between the Optoma HD33 and the Sony VPL-HW30AES. These are worlds apart in cost, I know, but I've always sort of gone for what I thought was the best "value" and the right choice for me at the time.

My concern with the Optoma is the contrast ratio. At 4000:1 it seems like its pretty weak in that department. I feel like I'd be taking a step back from my current set up and that concerns me. I like that it gets 1080P 3D at a good price, but I don't know if its good enough and I can't find anyone near me with one to see.

The Sony seems like an almost perfect projector, but it's twice the price. Is it really worth that much more money?

I know I've seen some posts on here of people that have seen both projectors. What suggestions do you have? Is there another projector I'm missing that is less than $3000 (the sony is close enough at 3200 including glasses and emitter), that handles lag well, is bright, cheap replacement bulbs (i'm sick of paying $400 for panny bulbs) and is 3D?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page