Replacing an Epson 6500UB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Epson 6500UB that I have calibrated myself using HCFR and an i1. The projector is ceiling mounted approx. 14" from a 106" screen. I have been very pleased with the picture; however, I now have some issues of large bands of pink/purple bands across the top and bottom of the image. I would like to replace this projector with a 3d capable projector. I do not neccessarily need H/V lens shift as I can adjust dropdown bar and center fairly easily without having to use keystone adjustment. I have a light controlled room, but do watch some 2d content with lights on at low levels (like football games when friends are over). Given my current uses and positioning and in light of the fact I like the image of the 6500ub (including black levels), can you give me some advice? I am currently considering 2 less expensive options: the optoma HD33 and epson 3010...how would those compare to the 6500UB I have been using and how might they work in my conditions? Now, I know I could jump to an epson 5010 or panny 7000; however, I'm not sure if the picture difference is worth the price jump? I would expect the picture of 5010 or 7000 would be a significant upgrade over the 6500, but I am not sure about the 3010 or hd33...Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated...

Jasson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb1051 View Post

I currently have an Epson 6500UB that I have calibrated myself using HCFR and an i1. The projector is ceiling mounted approx. 14" from a 106" screen. I have been very pleased with the picture; however, I now have some issues of large bands of pink/purple bands across the top and bottom of the image. I would like to replace this projector with a 3d capable projector. I do not neccessarily need H/V lens shift as I can adjust dropdown bar and center fairly easily without having to use keystone adjustment. I have a light controlled room, but do watch some 2d content with lights on at low levels (like football games when friends are over). Given my current uses and positioning and in light of the fact I like the image of the 6500ub (including black levels), can you give me some advice? I am currently considering 2 less expensive options: the optoma HD33 and epson 3010...how would those compare to the 6500UB I have been using and how might they work in my conditions? Now, I know I could jump to an epson 5010 or panny 7000; however, I'm not sure if the picture difference is worth the price jump? I would expect the picture of 5010 or 7000 would be a significant upgrade over the 6500, but I am not sure about the 3010 or hd33...Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated...

Jasson

Jason,
I believe either one is a step backwards from the 6500UB. The HD 33 is DLP so if you haven't ever seen a DLP unit make sure you do before spending your hard earned cash. They can produce excellent picture but RBE (rainbow effect) drives me crazy. Make sure none of your family is bothered by RBE and some medical conditions can be serve with flashing lights. Research on DLP's has been done by independent labs so research research research before you go DLP. They say it doesn't bother most people but I suspect it must be a 50/50 being LCD and DLP split the PJ sales about 50/50.
The 3010 will not have the inky blacks your UB has but it may be good enough for you. The 3010 is the brightest in 3D mode.
Check projectorreviews.com for good reviews on these units and good luck.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a 6500UB on it's 2nd bulb, ceiling mounted running on its 3rd year now showing pinkish edge around the top of the screen.

I just found a brand new one with a 2 year warranty on EBay for less than $1000.00 delivered. Had to keep checking back and looking for a few weeks but they pop up now and again still.

Laser/LED units are probably coming by Xmas.

I love the picture the 6500UB throws and for the cheap price I can wait for 3D content to proliferate a little longer.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page