Epson wants to replace my new pj with a refurb! Is this really normal?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi again folks. Based on reading much in these forums, I recently purchased a Epson 8350. I have been getting an intermittent error, and I finally called the support line today. They will ship me a replacement, but it will be a refurbished unit.

This seems completely wrong to me... I payed over 1k$ for this nice new a couple months ago (January) and now they will only send me a refurb unit.

This seems completely unlike other electronics I have purchased in the past....

Is there anything I can do here? I protested a bit, but the support rep said that after 30 days, any replacements will be refurbs at Epson's choice.

"Error in auto-iris, please contact Epson Serve Center" was what I get from time to time.

It still has a 2yr warranty

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs79 View Post

Hi again folks. Based on reading much in these forums, I recently purchased a Epson 8350. I have been getting an intermittent error, and I finally called the support line today. They will ship me a replacement, but it will be a refurbished unit.

This seems completely wrong to me... I payed over 1k$ for this nice new a couple months ago (January) and now they will only send me a refurb unit.

This seems completely unlike other electronics I have purchased in the past....

Is there anything I can do here? I protested a bit, but the support rep said that after 30 days, any replacements will be refurbs at Epson's choice.

"Error in auto-iris, please contact Epson Serve Center" was what I get from time to time.

It still has a 2yr warranty

Thoughts?

Actually, that is completely normal throughout the electronics industry. Either you send it in for repair (and do without the unit for 2 weeks at best), or you exchange for a refurbished unit. Epson has one of the best policies because they send you the new one first and cover all the shipping. Some companies make you ship the old one (at your cost), evaluate it, then send you a replacement. Usually takes a week or more before they even ship the replacement.

The only exception is if your retailer has a policy that allows for new exchange, but that is usually only for the first 30 days unless you purchased an extended warranty through them.

Sometimes you get lucky and they send a new one if there are no refurbs available, but that is the exception.

In my experience, most of the time, you can't tell any difference between a refurb and a new unit except maybe an R on the serial number or a small sticker.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
They do regularly send refurbished units and if you send your unit for repair they may still send you a refurbished unit. I sent my 8700UB for repair after going through many units to finally get a new unit that wasn't defective last year. I didn't want to risk getting another bad refurb so my unit was sent for repair and when it came back it had a new serial number and a new lamp. Luckily it had the best convergence I have seen on the 8700UB yet so the picture was really sharp. That added up to me being happy in the end because I had put over 500 hours on the lamp and now I have a sharper unit with a new lamp. It sucks that I waited all that time that they were supposed to be doing a repair just to receive a different unit though.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Do not get a replacement unit if you can wait ten days for yours to be fixed. My brother had four different replacement units and each had different problems. Get yours fixed if you can wait for it to be repaired at their service center.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yep, as stated this is pretty normal procedure.

In all honesty i wouldnt stress about a refurb.

Refurb's are great, i dont know why people have a stigma about them.

Refurb's are 9 times out of 10 units that were DOA, got returned, then were thoroughly inspected by a technician on all points of operation, fixed whatever the issue was (usually something stupid like a bad solder point) and sold at a much lower price.

The best part is your refurb is GUARANTEED to work properly, whereas your brand new unit isnt guaranteed to do squat, thus the warranty.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

Yep, as stated this is pretty normal procedure.

In all honesty i wouldnt stress about a refurb.

Refurb's are great, i dont know why people have a stigma about them.

Refurb's are 9 times out of 10 units that were DOA, got returned, then were thoroughly inspected by a technician on all points of operation, fixed whatever the issue was (usually something stupid like a bad solder point) and sold at a much lower price.

The best part is your refurb is GUARANTEED to work properly, whereas your brand new unit isnt guaranteed to do squat, thus the warranty.

+1 I totally agree
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page