Have researched for weeks, still unsure, room pics and details! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am setting up a home theater in our bedroom and need some help with what projector to buy. I have read almost every thread for weeks as well as searching reviews but by now I think I may have information overload. I have a plasma in my living room and really love the more natural looking picture, although i really like great black levels I find that having the ability to make out details in the blacks even more important. When I watch an LED tv even though the blacks can be great the blacks details all seem to get washed out and everything just looks black, and the more digitized looking picture really bugs me also.

My budget is about 1500 but would like it to be less if possible, My screen size is 100" and the projector will need to have lens shift side to side and up and down because the projected image will need to be pretty close to the top of the 8 ft ceiling that the projector will be hanging from, and their is a ceiling fan in the way of mounting it dead center to the screen.

So far I have purchased speakers and amp
Energy veritas 5.1 fronts
Energy mini V center --( should have gone bigger but space and WAF involved)
Energy mini V surrounds
Energy S10.3 sub
Denon 2112 receiver

And maybe I jumped the gun a little but went with a budget screen, the Elite 100" spectrum series electric screen. I am sold on spending more on the screen material but as a newbie to projectors and spending countless hours researching I finally thought I would just get a cheap one until I can see what I like and do not like about it (gain ect..) before making a more informed decision when spending more. The picture with the painters tape is the view able size of the screen when everything is hooked up.

Oh, and the room will be painted a medium flat grey color this week before the install but the ceiling will have to stay white. The room will be able to be darkened at night by shutting our bedroom door and will have a blind on the one window, although no room darkening curtains or anything. It will probably never be turned on during the daytime. The only feature that I know I need is a 12v trigger, and content will consist of about
40% netlix
30% blu-ray
30% DVD's

So far the benq w6000 seems like it would fit the bill? Also I love the awesome warranty of the epsons. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc04301sk.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/dsc04302x.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/dsc04303d.jpg/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391476
post #3 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've also been looking to upgrade our benq 720p to 1080p. Much like you, I also dont care about 3D, and it seemed like the W6000 was a good projector to get. However, the 7000 adds frame interpolation, which is terrible for movies but actually makes sports look much more realistic. I definitely think its a feature worth having for sports, so if you're end up watching that sort of content, consider the w7000
post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

lespurgeon, thanks for the link. I have already spent quite a bit of time looking over coderguy's thread and it was very helpful.

Ou8thisSN, thanks for the advice on the Benq 7000, I will not be watching sports on the projector though just movies and possibly some gaming once in a while. I mainly was hoping someone could tell me if anything else that has horizontal and vertical lens shift and could come close to the grainier, more natural color type of plasma image. I really have trouble with most motion control type Televisions images because they really seem to look artificial to me.

It seems the more I look the W6000 might be the only projector that fits the bill under the $1500ish price range. One of the projector review sites mentioned alot of artifacts in the W6000 though and we are not sure if we are sensitive to RBE. It looks like the projector lens would end up a few inches under the top of the screen and about 3 feet to the right of the center line of the screen, I have not found a good calculator to make sure this will work anyone able to confirm that should be ok?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What distance are you projecting at from projector to the screen. This will help us out in helping you out.

I have a bedroom setup myself with about 11-12 feet distance from proj to screen (Epson 8350 and 106" pulldown) and I too went with a flat grey colour for my setup. Had a ceiling fan to deal with in the middle of the room. So i mounted an old TV swivel arm to my back wall and plunked my epson on top of it. I didn't know if I was or anyone else that would be watching were sensitive to the RBE. Plus i really needed that horizontal/vertical shift to get the image set properly. Personally i have no problems with the projector except for maybe a little lag sometimes in fast panning scenes, but that is about it. Use it for about 60% TV/Blu-rays and 40% Video Games (which doesn't seem to suffer from the lag like issue) I came form a RPLCD so i haven't had a Plasma to really enjoy the deeper blacks they present but after some tinkering with the image it works good enough for me. So don't rule out the Epson i think just yet.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

invadergir
What distance are you projecting at from projector to the screen. This will help us out in helping you out

Sorry I should have included that, I am thinking about placing it around 12 feet back but have the ability to go closer or as far back as about 15 ft.

Glad to hear you went with a similar setup and paint color and enjoy it. The 8350 seems like the only other projector in the ballpark since I am not able to find the epson 8700ub. I have called around to all of the local projector dealers but most do not even have any sort of viewing room, only one has a projector set up and it is like a 20,000 dollar one. I really would like to see the w6000 and the 8350 in action but I think the only way would be to purchase them both and return one of them.

The Epson sounds like it has better color out of the box and a much better warranty, but the W6000 has the better picture quality (sharpness) at least according to my forum viewing. Hopefully I can hear from someone who has seen them both and can chime in as far as which one will look the least digitally (if that's a word) looking, when I see some TVs especially with motion control on the images seem kind of like paper cutouts of people and things in the foreground superimposed on the background, like everything was shot on a greenscreen and filled with computer animation.
I am a little concerned about calibrating the W6000 but I am hoping that if I purchase some sort of setup disc I will be able to get it pretty close.

Thanks for your help and I will upload some pics when I get the room done!
post #7 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Very interested in this thread. Thanks for posting Posher. I am in the same boat as you, with lens shift being ideal. At this point considering W6000, 8350 as well has HD9500. 3D isn't a necessity, but if the 2D picture quality is close I might opt for 3d. I would be gaming most of the time and it sounds like lag isnt an issue with these three. Choices, choices....
post #8 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Duke, its tough to shop for these projectors without the ability to try them out and see the images for ouselves. I have not heard of the HD 9500 but I did call projector people this afternoon and asked for their advice, the rep I spoke to recommended the Panasonic PT-AR100U. He seemed to think it was a step up from the Epson 8350, but he was not able to give me any advice about the W6000 vs the Epson and the Panny.

Looking up the reviews of the PT-AR100U it seems like it is about a wash from what i can find compared to the Epson, other than the Epson really shines in a very dark environmental while the much brighter Panny does better in a less light controlled environment. I am not sure which would work better for my bedroom with grey walls and a white ceiling but guessing the Panasonic pt-ar100.

But I still feel like I am stuck between the LCD, DLP debate. Looks like it still is up in the air between the W6000 and now maybe the Panasonic. Anyone able to see these projectors first hand and comment on the picture and motion blur?
post #9 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM

I've also been looking to upgrade our benq 720p to 1080p.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM

I did some reading up on that panny. Gonna have to throw that into the mix. Sounds like a great option for a do it all room.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

A update for anyone in the same boat, I did purchase the panny ar100. After trying it out for a few days it just did not meet my expectations. The picture was very bright but the black levels seemed pretty bad to me. After playing with settings as much as I could blacks were still dark gray and the picture never looked good, even my wife who could care less about this stuff said it was cool that the screen was big but she did not think it looked very good. That said we do have light colored walls, ceiling, and flooring.

I returned it to Projector People and picked up the refurb epson 8700UB. The difference is dramatic, the contrast and picture looks really good and instead of constantly fidgeting with settings and trying to tell myself that it is still cool because of the big screen, I just watch and enjoy

Not to knock the Panny ar100 I am sure it is perfect for many people but I really was looking for something that looked atleast similar to my plasma and I think the Epson fit the bill perfectly.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The 8700ub is definitely a lot better for black levels over the 8350 or Panny ar100u for sure. As an owner of a JVC RS-45, for me the black levels are nice to have and certainly add depth to the image at times, but after you get used to the WOW effect of the better blacks, just like anything else it is not AS COOL as when I first owned the JVC. I guess that's life in general though.

Still you cannot beat space scenes or "fireworks like" special effects in darkness on a JVC (or Epson 8700) projector.

Mostly it's SCI FI and Fantasy type movies that really benefit from darker blacks. A few would be Harry Potter, Thor, Green Lantern, Star Wars, and things like that. That's not to say that is the only place where you see the advantage, that is just where it becomes most breathtaking and more important. As tired as I am of Harry Potter, I think some of the best dark contrast scenes ever filmed are in the HP movies.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page