Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
would like to go 120+ inches

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gray unless you can get the room completely dark whenever you are watching.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It's exceptionally bright and if you wish to have decent black level for 2D viewing I would also cast a vote for grey (around 120"). Just watch out for that shimmer that most inexpensive grey screens have, it can make bright colors look dirty (especially high level whites).

Jason
Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks I ordered an elite screens 120" gray. Gain is 1.0. I will watch 3d but I've read even at full zoom on lowest the lumens can be too bright for 2d.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

Gray unless you can get the room completely dark whenever you are watching.

What about just using "eco" mode with the white screen?

I'm reading that eco's got better color balance too.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

What about just using "eco" mode with the white screen?

I'm reading that eco's got better color balance too.

Your major concern will be the black levels which aren't great, a gray screen will make a vast improvement. The problem with shimmer on bright areas is a problem, but I went from 100" white screen which was too big for the distance from the projector to a 92" white, but the black levels where annoying enough for me to order a gray 92" and was much happier even with the bright shimmer (appears like the screen is coated with diamond dust on bright areas of the screen, which I'm willing to accept for the improved black levels. I'm not willing to pay a large amount for a high quality screen at this time though). If you've got a choice between gray screens, I suggest a non-HC (High Contrast) version as the projector is plenty bright and you won't need it. I'm very satisfied with this projector itself. Had I to do it over, I might have gone with the additional $1k for the 5010e, but that would not be for anything to do with the brightness level or picture quality, which blew me away, but definitely go with a gray screen unless you can get the room completely black when watching...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm looking at a 92" screen size too. It's a walk-in basement renovation -- used to be a 6' high storage space, but now is high enough for a TV room (though not high enough for a "theater"). I'm free to make the screen end of the room as dark as desired. Since the rear of the room is windowed (above a couch) and looks out to a hillside garden, I think I'll make the front 2/3 of the room (nearest the screen - ceiling too) dark and lighten up the rear 1/3 near the couch so it doesn't look entirely Twilightville.

What I'm really interested in is what you see (Moire) with these Epsons when using an AT (acoustically transparent) screen setup. Which would be useful in the smallish room to max out the screen diameter.

Had a friend 15 years ago who had an old Sharp LCD PJ in his home theater, so I'm curious how much they've improved since then.

Just bought Mom a 55" LG passive 3-D. Which made me a believer in (a) BRIGHT displays, (b) 3-D, and (c) bigger-is-better for 3-D (Masters this week on ESPN 3-D! Yay!!).