Epson 6500UB - Normal Behaviors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just setting up my Epson 6500UB Refurb and of course looking to get the most out of it, but want to make sure that it's issue-free. This is replacing an Epson Powerlite 1080 so hopefully a step up at least in regards to black levels.

A couple questions for the owners in the hopes they might know...

- When the projector powers up, the image has a very green look to it for the initial 30-60 seconds or so. This clears up once it gets to full brightness, but I never saw my old 1080p do that. Normal?

- When I look closely at the screen on projected white text, I can see definite green and red convergence bloom around the letters. It's not terrible, maybe a pixel or two off the white, but it's there. Of course when I back up off the screen the eye can't notice. I remember my old Epson LCD did this as well so I assume this is just a fairly common trend of LCDs.

- I'm going to wait to closer to 100 lamp hours to calibrate, but I'm noticing a lot of recommended calibration settings use the projector in high lamp mode instead of low. I've always run in low to preserve bulb. Anyone else here using low? I noticed the fan noise was a lot greater with high on, and given I sit with the projector shelf-mounted above the seating area, fan noise can be a bit distracting.

Overall, happy with the condition and the (I assume) new lamp that came with it. Just want to make sure there are no warning signs that would indicate swapping for another one through Epson, before they're all gone! 6500UB's can't last forever especially at the price I paid.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Perfect convergence is very rare. If it is more than a full pixel off, you might see if they can exchange it. Put up a full screen test grid and see how bad it is. Sometimes it is only on a portion of the image. If it bad across the whole screen, then maybe try to get another.

Colors will always change as the lamp warms up. Nothing to worry about there. I'd stick to low lamp power. It will give better blacks and as long as you are in a dark room, you should get a fine image. Yes, all the new refurbs come with new bulbs.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Epson 'running out' of replacements. They have a 2-year replacement warranty to honor. They will send an 8500 or 8700 if they no longer have any 6500 to send out.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, really appreciate your response.

I'll try and get a shot of the convergence with a grid up and post here for an opinion, if possible to get a good representation of it in a photo. I never expected it to be perfect, but want to make sure I at least have a "good" one.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

Thanks Bill, really appreciate your response.

I'll try and get a shot of the convergence with a grid up and post here for an opinion, if possible to get a good representation of it in a photo. I never expected it to be perfect, but want to make sure I at least have a "good" one.

Any more thoughts since you bought it? I've been hoping to get a projector and the 6500 refurb was on my shortlist(before the Canadian Epson store ran out).
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it or calibrate it beyond the settings I found online. Hopefully in the next day or two I can at least find a good pattern to put up there to post some photos of the convergence to see what the group thinks.

I did use it briefly and was pleased with the picture and performance during the movie I watched. Still had a little trouble getting things perfectly square in one of the corners, not sure if that is a keystone type issue or if it can be adjusted with slight placement or raising the feet, but it's close enough. Not sure if that's more a flaw or just in need of more tlc and better centering on the wall shelf it's on.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page