Could I/Should I get a projector for my apt? Pics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've finally gotten a place on my own and want to get a projector. My place has several limitations though, so I'd appreciate your input if it would be worth attempting.

The living room is the only available spot(my place is only about 650 sq ft). the living room is 15'8 long and has large windows along one side. The painted walls are pale yellow. The nice thing is It's a concrete and steel building(the stereo can go loud!), but it also means I'll have to drill into the ceiling to hang the screen. With the windows and light in the room I can barely see my 50" plasma during the day(I put it on torch mode), so the projector will be a nighttime only thing.

I rent so I have some reservations about the drilling and don't want to paint the walls. I'm looking only at LCD projectors as I'm sensitive to rainbows and also, because I rent, I want the placement flexibility in case I move.

My budget is very limited and I'm looking at the Epson 8350 rrefurb, 6500refurb(if they come back to the Epson store) or the Panny Ar100, with an Elune vision 106" Manual pull down pro cinema grey screen. Hopefully to pull down in front of the TV. Seating distance would be 10 ft from the screen.

Will the reflection from the windows cause lighting issues with the image as they will be perpendicular to the screen?

Sorry for the long winded post, you guys always seem to ask for more info so I did my best to get it all in the first one.

Sorry pics aren't working, will try something else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the Flickr of the pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76889624@N03/
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At my old place (rented) I had a big side window like yours now. I use black out curtains from WM. I could watch on the daytime no problem.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS66 View Post

At my old place (rented) I had a big side window like yours now. I use black out curtains from WM. I could watch on the daytime no problem.

Thanks for replying! Do you think it would be a problem watching at night with curtains open? I love having them open at night for the view, but I worry the reflection would mess with the projector.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM

I suspect you would have lots of light coming in at night. May not look like it at first glance but hang a white sheet on the wall, let your eyes adjust, and you will see the various light sources from outside hitting the screen. Definitely recommend blackout curtains. If you were facing a forest with no city lights you might be OK, but with that view I think you will need curtains.

Don't know where you live but it can stay light until well into the evening here (in soring/summer) so the curtains give you more flexibility to watch during evening hours as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

I suspect you would have lots of light coming in at night. May not look like it at first glance but hang a white sheet on the wall, let your eyes adjust, and you will see the various light sources from outside hitting the screen. Definitely recommend blackout curtains. If you were facing a forest with no city lights you might be OK, but with that view I think you will need curtains.

Don't know where you live but it can stay light until well into the evening here (in soring/summer) so the curtains give you more flexibility to watch during evening hours as well.

Thank you for replying, I was going to get those anyway as it does stay light out here(Kamloops, BC) til 10pm in peak time.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM

This is blackout curtains I got from WM. I got black color. Seems they out of it right now. It blocks out complete the light of sun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Austin-Mic...ha-95/13244696
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page