I need VGA switching solution for my AE100 please... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my DVD player, STB, Hipix, and Xbox all ran into a component switch. I have ordered an AA transcoder to convert the output of my component switch into RGB... If this was the last connection I needed I'd be set. I would just run a VGA cable from the AA to the AE100 VGA port.

but alas, I want to throw a monkey wrench in. I want to output my Geforce3 to my AE100 to play games... NO VGA PORTS LEFT!!! I thought about getting a cheap manual VGA switch, but these are not recommended for high res sources. i guess i could get a high end VGA switch capable of 500mhz, but that is $300+!!! anyone got any ideas? thanks.

I thought about "double-transcoding"... get a transcoder for geforce3 output, run that into my component switch, when it gets output it will get transcoded back into VGA. lol. is that a dumb idea?

:p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 11:05 AM
hgo

Someone from previous post used kvm switch to do the job. It might work for you.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Belkin E series KVM can be had for $45 for 2 port and $55 for 4 port at http://www.shopharmony.com/secure/pr...temID=F1DB102P or http://www.shopharmony.com/secure/pr...temID=F1DB104P . It has 400 Mhz bandwidth (plenty for XGA resolution); although not as HQ as Kramer or Extron but it sure is a lot cheaper. Perfect for the cheaper AE100.

Huey ;-]
post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 01:53 PM

Huey,

Are you sure that those Belkin switchboxes will work for Video only? I looked them up and discovered that they have no power supply. They pull power from the PS/2 keyboard port. Is power required for the Video switching? If so, then you would have to connect these to a computer.

///CA
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the idea, but the KVM seems like a "ghetto" way of doing this. i called Audio Authority and the tech guy actually said he had a DTC100 "double-transcoded" onto a 56" RPTV and he didn't notice any signal degradation. i'll think i'll go the extron p/2 da2 with a VGA to component transcoder route. it will cost me an extra $250, but it'll be much cleaner.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Adebar,

How big is your component switch box? Your double transcoder idea is pretty good. Does your G3 have dual monitor outputs?

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. Yes the KVM method is kind of "ghetto' but it has been the only inexpesive way to do switching for a long time. Extron stuff is pricey and bulky.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Adebar,

How big is your component switch box? Your double transcoder idea is pretty good. Does your G3 have dual monitor outputs?

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. Yes the KVM method is kind of "ghetto' but it has been the only inexpesive way to do switching for a long time. Extron stuff is pricey and bulky.
i don't have a real component switcher. lol. it's a standard a/v switcher made for analog audio and composite video. all it does is pass signals passively. i've used it before and never seen degradation.

no, the gf3 does not have dual monitor outs :(

post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Howsabout making CAT5 VGA cables and using a switch/router to choose your signal?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Adebar,

That type of switcher should work o.k for short to medium cable runs. I'm starting to like this new forum more and more.

The reason I asked about the geforceIII was how you were planning to transcode it and still be able to show the output on your computer monitor? There is a way you can do it by removing the 75 ohm completion resistors but simply using an HD-15 "Y" cable without removing the completition resistors will give you an impedance mismatch.

ZenerDiode,

If you are refering to my thread in the about cat5 video cables, please bear in mind that the signals are analog and wouldn't work with an ethernet switcher.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Adebar,

That type of switcher should work o.k for short to medium cable runs. I'm starting to like this new forum more and more.

The reason I asked about the geforceIII was how you were planning to transcode it and still be able to show the output on your computer monitor? There is a way you can do it by removing the 75 ohm completion resistors but simply using an HD-15 "Y" cable without removing the completition resistors will give you an impedance mismatch.

ZenerDiode,

If you are refering to my thread in the about cat5 video cables, please bear in mind that the signals are analog and wouldn't work with an ethernet switcher.

-Mr. Wigggles
the extron p/2 da2 is a VGA "splitter"... it inputs 1 VGA source and outputs the same signal to 2 different VGA outs :) it goes for around a $100 on ebay. i'll just transcode 1 of the outputs :)

post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

CrimsonAle, it will do video only but you're correct that you need an external powersupply. It's called a cheap Walmart AC adapter that'll do 9V at 600 mA with positive center pin for about $10. You can buy a Belkin one designed for this switcher for $16 before shipping. This adapter is needed if you don't have a PC nearby for power draw.

If you run a HTPC anyways, you could also hook a PS2 cable from your PC's PS2 keyboard/mouse out port to the "input 1" of the switcher and then the actual PS2 keyboard/mouse into the main output of the switcher (called 'console'). This will allow the unit to draw power from your PC and still switch video only (This will work regardless of what port is active and HTPC does not even have to be on if there is a green light on your keyboard when HTPC is "shutdown" via Windows as there is power going to the PS2 port at all times--obviously if PC is unplugged or turnoff cold in the back of powersupply then this would not work). Keyboard will only work when you have the switch to "Input 1" but then why would you need your keyboard unless you are using "Input 1" which is your HTPC.

Huey ;-]
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by ZenerDiode
Howsabout making CAT5 VGA cables and using a switch/router to choose your signal?
Are you serious? That's a good joke :)

The people who use CAT5 for video cabling physically SWITCH the wires. Like they have a wire for every display device and then a block of female plugs for each source device and they simply plug into what they need.

An Ethernet switch or router when fed a video singal...well...I don't know what would happen. Video switching would certainly NOT go on.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 02:51 PM

I am doing the Cat5 patch panel approach for switching. Search for Mr. Wiggles great thread "RGBHV over CAT5" That's where I got the idea.

I am getting a 16 port Panduit mini-com patch panel which will have all of the inputs for my Panasonic TH-AE100 projector. Then down the road, my DTC100 & Dreamcast VGA will all have their own Cat5 VGA "dongle" coming out of them. I just plug the Cat5 dongle into my shielded Cat5 AE100 jack on the patch panel. This is just like an oldtime telephone switchboard operator. Also I can easily hook up my laptop as well if I want to show digital photos for example. I am also replicating the composite video port on this patch panel as well. You never know when someone would want to jack in their digital camera.

If you are not familier with it, mini-com is a modular connector approach by Panduit. I use it all over my house. They have ethernet, cat5, F-type, BNC, s-video jacks and all kinds of wall plates etc.

Ricardo
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page