Need Help with 1st projector for TV, PC and gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a projector for my room. I have read a lot of threads on this forum and I think I want to buy a projector next instead of getting a new LED TV for ~$1,000.

I'm not planning on buying new. I'm thinking refurbished as i can't find any used projectors. After reading for a few weeks, i came up with a few things. Either a Epson 8350 or the BenQ W6000.

This projector will be the main source for watching any type of video. It will mainly be used to watch regular Cable TV most of the time. I also want to hook up my high end desktop that i built to the projector via HDMI or DVI so i can serf the web, watch youtube/netflix and play PC games ( FPS and racing games mainly). I also have a PS3 that i want to hook this up to as well so i can plan a few PS3 titles on the big screen.

I'm not looking for anything in the 3D projectors as my price range is too low for a good 3D projector and plus i don't know how good the PS3 is at playing 3D movies.

I'm thinking of hanging the projector off the ceiling. My room is about 16ft long and the ceiling is about 9-10 ft. I want to project about 100-120" screen, or biggest i can go with decent picture quality. If hanging the projects is a problem, i can always make a little stand at the other side of the wall and just put the projector on top.

I also have a very dumb question, none of the projectors have a place where i can hook up my tv cable directly in the back. Do you guys use some sort of cable box or something to have HDMI out and watch TV through HDMI?

Also are there any other projectors i should look into that are around $1000 range? I do not want to spend too much on just the projector as i also need to buy a screen or probably just make a fixed screen at home with some wood from home depot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
PS3 plays 3D movies just fine I'd guess that playing 3D games like uncharted 3 puts more of a strain on the processing than movies. But if you don't care for 3D then you shouldn't pay for it. The sandy bridge CPUs or llano with the onboard graphics should play 3D as well.

I use a cable box, I don't think there are projectors that have a hookup for an antenna.

I'd probably go with the BenQ that you listed. If you can get that for 1K, that's a great price. make sure that the refurb includes a new bulb otherwise you might as well just buy it new since the bulb is probably around 300.

post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

wow that is one expensive bulb. hopefully i can catch the W6000 on sale again as right now all of them are like $1200 a piece.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
W6000 is great for what your needs are. The QC has been a little shaky on them but for the money it cant be beat.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM

For your sources of cable and gaming you might do well with the Optoma GT750E. It is only 720p, but so is your souce material. It is a super bright projector and can easily make a HUGE screen. It was not important to you but it is also one of the few projectors on the market, in fact the only one under 1K, where it is ready to play 3D games with your PS3 right out of the box. There are a lot of people on this forum who have went that way and are happy with it. Here are two very good reasons to at least consider the Optoma GT750E:

1. Price.....the GT750E is available new in the box with full warranty for around $750.00.
2. Input LAG for games. I cannot comment on the BenQ W6000 because I have not seen any data to suggest it is slow, but the GT750E consistently is rated at almost, or no input LAG for vdieo games. This one you may want to look into for sure before buying a refurbished projector. Refurbished projectors tend to come with more restrictive return policies.

One last thing to consider is placement. With the BenQ W6000 you have some very excellent placement opions with a lens shift and 1.5:1 zoom, but will require at least 11',9" to get a 100" screen whereas you can get a 100" screen from only about 5 feet with the Optoma GT750E and go as big as 178" from only 9' and it will still be plenty bright enough. If you play PS Move this is essential because you will no be in the way of the projector.

The BenQ is certainly, from what I have read, a great 1080p projector for 1080p material and movies, but buying a refurbed more expensive projector for watching cable and playing video games seems kinda like buying a used Cadillac Sedan to go out to a sports car event to me. A new Optoma GT750E seems like a much better fit. It is a projectorcentral.com Highly Rated projector and it is more affordable. Here is a link to a review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...tor_review.htm

Let us know what you choose.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If I were you I would look into the LG HX350T. It has the built in QAM tuner so you can split and go directly into your home cable for crisp unencrypted major network viewing and you can hook it up to your computer for the other things you mentioned. It looks like you are planning on using it as a replacement for a regular TV and this means that you will be facing a lot more lamp replacements than normal projector users so it makes sense to go with an LED based projector. I don't think its going to do 120 inch screen as brightly as you want but you will get a respectable screen image at under say 100 or so inches. IMO its worth the trade off. You could also go with the 500 lumen acer/optma clones but from what I see there doesn't seem to be much of a REAL difference in USABLE light output. Also the light output of the LED projectors seems
hard to understand since they appear to me low lumen but everybody raves about how bright they are and the youtube videos seem to bear this out.

Just my Opinion

Bohanna

FYI ,, The reason I talk about the QAM tuner is that I have a MyHD 130 tuner card that I use to feed my projector for unencerpted network viewing and the image that it feeds for sports viewing is so clear its stunning and much better than the sale feed through the HDTV cable or satellite box out put. So If you plan to watch major network events its the way to go. The other great thing about the built in tuner is you can take the projector on the road, hook up a ten dollar monoprice antenna and you have HTDV anywhere in about 2 minutes. Bring a boombox ,,,hook the audio out to it and you are good to go.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 12
The optoma gt750 is great at certain things. It's actually the projector I have at the moment. It's good for gaming and 3D but if you're mainly going to be watching movies and tv I wouldn't recommend it due to the color inaccuracy and the mediocre black levels.

As for me, I really wanted 3D and short throw and I didn't want to spend 1500 for a 3D 1080p projector which is why I got the 750, and I'm happy with it for what I'm using it for plus I'm not really a videophile, the picture doesn't have to be perfect for me to enjoy it. But I think the OP can get a projector that better suits his needs.

The difference between 720 and 1080p projectors isn't just the resolution, companies put more of their new tech into the more expensive 1080p which usually means they are more accurate in color, better black levels, better motion processing etc.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The only way I would not choose the GT750 is if you are going to be watching mainly blu rays. I use my 720p projector 90% of the time. I use my 1080p projector just for blu rays and 3D blu rays. It keeps the bulb life down on my expensive 1080p projector and its not really a big difference when watching 720p or less sources. I actually have a $8k projector and watch my $400 720p Acer h5360 and $500 Optoma GT720 the majority of the time. I might watch my JVC RS55 4 hours a week and my 720p projectors 40hrs a week.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM

I can definitely say you'd be better off with the 8350.
1. it is 1080p
2. it has unparalleled installation flexibility.
3. Refurbished from epson this would come with a 2 year warranty that is unbeatable. call them up, and they'll overnight you another unit free of charge.
4. with promos on epson's website on occasion these can be had for $850 or so

I've played with more than my fair share of projectors and the 8350 is definitely my favorite in the price range. Don't worry about bulb cost, unless you use this thing constantly it won't add that much to the overall expense. If the bulb blows early in the two years epson will likely give you another one anyway.

the other options proposed in this thread may work for some, but for me 1080p is a great thing to have. BD's through the ps3 look fantastic even if games are mostly output in 720p, and while there's no such thing as being future proofed in gadget land 1080p is where we'll be for a bit, and I would hate to spend $750 on tech that already is on the back end of the fun curve.

I don't work for epson, or get any incentives from anywhere, I've just owned and installed a bunch of projectors and the 8350 is one of the best for the money. Obviously a lot of this is opinion, I'm in no way putting down the other options voice here, just throwing my two cents in.

If you get it and really don't like it you can always get rid of it for a minor loss as there are so many people still interested in it.

OP feel free to pm with questions if you think I could help you out.

cheers
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
DLP is better for gaming than LCD.
I've experimented with 30+ projectors.

The w6000 also has darker blacks than the 8350 and a much higher pixel fill ratio. If you set up a DLP against an LCD in a side-by-side (depending on seating distance), you will notice the difference in pixel fill easily, and even if you don't see the difference that much, it will still affect the smoothness of the image. DLP is the PQ leader under $1500 IMHO. The Benq w6000 is also much sharper than most of these projectors mentioned, and sharpness can be very important for gaming depending on what type of gaming you are into. There are disadvantages to DLP, but it's outside of the PQ itself mostly unless going to $2k+ budgets and comparing them to high-end LCOS projectors.

Benq W7000 (same pixel fill as w6000)

Epson 5010 (similar pixel fill to 8350, although 8350 has even slightly more pixelation)

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Liked: 13
You might consider the Viewsonic pro8200. Newegg regularly puts it on sale for $720, if the budget is an issue.
It looks great with a HD source, like blue Ray or HDTV. And when you're watching tv black levels aren't critical since you'll probably have some lights on in the room anyway.
And the black levels aren't that bad when watching movies.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't think a 720p projector like the Optoma GT750 is on the back end.

For HDTV, there is not going to be a change in resolution from 720p/1080i in the future. There's actually no talk about having higher resolution HDTV.

For console gaming, the majority of the games are 720p. There is no projectors or consoles that can game in 1080p 3D, so you are still stuck with 720p 3D. A projector like the GT750 has no lag and is excellent for gaming.

With the PC, text is very good, because its a DLP projector. Much better than a LCD projector.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After reading the first post and all the rest , all good viewpoints and suggestions. I'll throw my viewpoint into the mix.

First of all, I thought I would be using the viewsonic pro8200 for everything, TV, gaming, movies , but it didn't end up that way. I mostly use my hdtv 42 inch TV for everything and use the PJ for special gaming, movies, sports. You saying you want your first PJ to do everything all the time, I don't think most of the rest of us do, I don't.

My 42inch hdtv is on all the time for either PC, 360 gaming, tv stuff, so that's how I do it.

Now as to portability vs stationary PJ. I did pick the viewsonic pro8200 because it was a cross-over PJ meaning it could be home theater and go anywhere PJ (school, business, travel). And I'm glad I didn't get the epson 8350 because it's big and heavy and doesn't have internal speakers, but that's me, others only want dedicated home PJ. If you are like me and have friends or family or would like to take your PJ on the porch at night or move to bedroom/den/ etc ... then think portable or cross-over like the viewsonic pro8200.

Other reasons some people are avoiding the epson 8350 at this point is bulb problems (it's something that epson is working on and is trying how to get the bulbs to work for longer periods of time, generally 400-700 hours bulb life with some reports 1,000 hours). Epson changed company that makes the bulb to see if that will fix problem, but it could be PJ design itself not cooling down the bulb the right way, so everybody that owns it hopes it's just the old bulb company that first made the bulb for epson. Also, epson is good for 2 years in replacing bulbs for FREE, if they didn't do that, you would be hearing MORE LOUD pissed off comments about bulb pop, especially at 300 dollars per bulb replacement, but after 2 years , you are on your own.

Also, some people swear by lens shift , but for me since I'm more portable I don't have a problem moving the PJ around room until it's centered and then it's done. The lens shift guys want the PJ in one location fixed and are not interested in moving the PJ around but using lens shift to make it work in favorite spot. So, all the lens shift guys picked the epson 8350 since most other PJ's don't have lens shift. I look for other things like cheap bulb replacement costs, longer warranty, read about if PJ as user problems before I buy, brightness, hdmi, 1080p, etc. So you have to look at the big picture (pun not intended until after I wrote that). Good luck, maybe PJ would be good everything always on solution for you and lens shift would be good feature for you , it's good you are posting about it before you buy, have fun and let us know what you get and how you like it.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reply guys, this is awesome.

Now i do have a 42" 720P Samsung LCD TV that i currently use. its good and gets the job done. I currently use the PS3 to watch movies through. I don't plan any 3D games or movies yet.

I don't mind going 720P but the main reason i don't like it is due to its resolution. it is 1280x720. I think its too small for to be used with PC. at the moment i'm so used to having a 1920x1200 resolution monitor that going something smaller just looks weird for me. Even my laptop has 1920x1200 screen. I love the extra space and have multiple screens open at once. Now 1920x1200 is not possible with a PJ so i'm ok with going 1920x1080.

I have build this desktop to handle any game that is currently out there. I can max out Battle Field 3 and have very good fps. If i go with a lower resolution, it would probably look very weird.

Also i called up my cable company and they can send me a cable box with DVR and it has HDMI out so i can watch TV through HDMI and get some extra HD channels. so that problem is solved. I'm not too picky about the lense shift, as i don't mind moving my projector. once this projector is set, it is not going no where. it is not leaving my room unless it needs to be fixed. so size wise, i don't mind the unit being big.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post

Thanks for all the reply guys, this is awesome.

Now i do have a 42" 720P Samsung LCD TV that i currently use. its good and gets the job done. I currently use the PS3 to watch movies through. I don't plan any 3D games or movies yet.

I don't mind going 720P but the main reason i don't like it is due to its resolution. it is 1280x720. I think its too small for to be used with PC. at the moment i'm so used to having a 1920x1200 resolution monitor that going something smaller just looks weird for me. Even my laptop has 1920x1200 screen. I love the extra space and have multiple screens open at once. Now 1920x1200 is not possible with a PJ so i'm ok with going 1920x1080.

I have build this desktop to handle any game that is currently out there. I can max out Battle Field 3 and have very good fps. If i go with a lower resolution, it would probably look very weird.

Also i called up my cable company and they can send me a cable box with DVR and it has HDMI out so i can watch TV through HDMI and get some extra HD channels. so that problem is solved. I'm not too picky about the lense shift, as i don't mind moving my projector. once this projector is set, it is not going no where. it is not leaving my room unless it needs to be fixed. so size wise, i don't mind the unit being big.

There are tons of 1920 x 1200 projectors out there. Most of them, however, are meant primarily for business use. With that said, I still think the W6000 is perfect for what you need.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page