1Likes

post #271 of 2337 Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbunn View Post

Latest update on image quality between my Panasonic AE900U and the LG PA70G.
I am surprised to report I the following: My entire family prefers the 700 lumen LG picture over the 1100 (rated) lumen Panasonic AE900U picture.
The Panny has a slight edge picture wise with its 'smoothing' technology, and may have *slightly* better blacks, but the added punch and brightness of the LG overshadows all that. The LG can match the AE900 with proper calibration.
Bottom line?: I'm keeping the LG and putting the AE900U up for sale on EBay.

My family also likes the PA70G, particularly my kids who are burning up hours on it with the HTPC and Xbox. In that regard at least, LED has it all over traditional bulbs, as I haven't been concerned about hours in use or persons switching the PA70G on and off. I might have to keep the PA70G if only because at this rate of use, I might be going through too many bulbs with a traditional projector.

On the other hand the focus bothers me a bit (family doesn't notice it). I can't get all parts of the screen in perfect focus at the same time. It is not something that can be noticed when watching movies or playing games. And I still need to try a test moving the screen further than 12 feet from the projector, to see if it can handle that distance, since at 10 feet the focus ring is practically at the limit of travel.

Another odd thing. With the Xbox set to 720P, I can set the PA70G to "just scan" mode and the aspect ratio is fine. But with the HTPC, the "just scan" mode is always disabled on the PA70G regardless of the resolutions I have tried sending it. To get everything playing nice in terms of aspect ratio, I have to set the PA70G to "full", and then send it a 1280x720 resolution from the HTPC. That seems to work fine - nothing cut off or stretched. But I am curious why I can't use "just scan" with the HTPC feed. Fortunately, even though the PA70G gets both signals through my A/V receiver using one HDMI cable, it is smart enough to know which device is sending the signal, and remembers the various settings. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well all the devices have played together in terms of HDMI handshake etc - no aggravations so far in that regard.

Also the "whistle" noise that some persons reported, I think it is actually the slight buzz sound made either by the LED or some transistor inside the projector. Because the buzz starts a second or two before the fans get going. It doesn't bother me much but maybe it would someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2337 Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Latest update on image quality between my Panasonic AE900U and the LG PA70G.
I am surprised to report I the following: My entire family prefers the 700 lumen LG picture over the 1100 (rated) lumen Panasonic AE900U picture.
The Panny has a slight edge picture wise with its 'smoothing' technology, and may have *slightly* better blacks, but the added punch and brightness of the LG overshadows all that. .
Bottom line?: I'm keeping the LG and putting the AE900U up for sale on EBay.

Thank you very much fbunn for confirming us, that LG can match the AE900 with proper calibration. Any pictures or video yet?
post #273 of 2337 Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

I would check fry's sales online on fridays, they will have it back on sale for sure, nobody is buying it full price, so I would just keep an eye on the specials on fridays and the 1-day and 2-day sales during the week sometimes

Ok, that's a good idea, I'll keep an eye out. I was just a little afraid that the $550 was some sort of one-time "soft" introductory price launch.
post #274 of 2337 Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I imagine pricing of this will be similar to the $400 LG HW300 - where at times it's up at its MSRP, then most times Fry's keeps it around it's "sale price."
post #275 of 2337 Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM

I just bought the Optoma ML500 from Amazon on Monday when the price for me dropped to ~$440. I've had it for 2 days, but it is missing the elevator foot that screws onto the bottom to adjust the projector's height.

I just found out about the LG PA70G recently. I live very close to a Fry's and noticed on their website that the LG PA70G is on sale for $549 ($591 with tax). This would be ~$150 more than the Optoma. I'm not sure if I would have to pay a restocking fee to return the Optoma to Amazon.

Is it worth getting the LG PA70G for $591 over the Optoma ML500 at $440?

I plan on using the projector for presentations for teaching and to use at home for viewing movies. Both light to moderate use.
post #276 of 2337 Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyoats View Post

I just bought the Optoma ML500 from Amazon on Monday when the price for me dropped to ~$440. I've had it for 2 days, but it is missing the elevator foot that screws onto the bottom to adjust the projector's height.
I just found out about the LG PA70G recently. I live very close to a Fry's and noticed on their website that the LG PA70G is on sale for $549 ($591 with tax). This would be ~$150 more than the Optoma. I'm not sure if I would have to pay a restocking fee to return the Optoma to Amazon.
Is it worth getting the LG PA70G for $591 over the Optoma ML500 at $440?
I plan on using the projector for presentations for teaching and to use at home for viewing movies. Both light to moderate use.

I think it'ws worth getting the PA70g over the ML500 if the ML500 PJ has 300 lumens vs. the 700l ,umen PA70g. The 700 lumens are for real, and brightness is important.
post #277 of 2337 Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

The ML500 has 500 lumens, but from the few side to side comparisons that people have posted, it seems the PA70G has a noticeable edge in brightness, and is quieter overall than the ML500.

Is that worth it for you for $140? It depends. If you're going to go over 100" in screen size, then yea, I'd say it'd be worth it to me. If you stick around 92" or so, then you should be perfectly fine with the ML500 in eco mode.
post #278 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 AM

fbunn, I think you are giving people false hope with your 3D is fully supported talk… which you haven't even tested yourself. I find it strange someone from LG saying 3D blu-ray and PC is officially supported when there's nothing about this big feature in the manual or on their product website. You would think they had been advertising with such a nice feature all over the place.. right?

From my experience (HW300G aspect ratio bug) with the LG help desk they are a bunch of idiots having no clue what they are talking about. Must be one of those cheap outsourced Indian help desks or something.

Quote:

The remote has a 3D button on it. The manual tells you what 3D compatible signals it can use.
I just got off the phone with support, and they said I would need an HDMI 1.4 compliant source.
Unfortunately, I can't test it until I get a 3D blu ray player.

Yes the remote has a 3D button on it, but this button only works with the 1024X768 @120Hz resolution.
And this is also the only resolution that works with 3D that you can find in the manual. Look it up yourself.
When feeding the PA70G 1280x720 @ 120Hz the 3D options are not available anymore. In the settings menu it's disabled and pressing the 3D button on the remote give a "Not available" message.

The problem with the native 1024x786@120Hz 3D resolution is that its not a standard and so not useable with Blu-ray players and other devices other then a PC. And another problem is the 1280x720 @ 120Hz is not officially supported by this PJ and so you will not be able to select this resolution on you Blu-ray player, PS3 etc etc. On the PC you can make a custom resolution, on a Blu-ray player you can not.. well most of them.

If you want to use this PJ for 3D viewing you have got the following options:

1024x768 @ 120Hz
PC --> Shutter glasses natively working with the PA70G

1280x720 @ 120Hz
PC --> Nivdia 3D Vision shutter glasses with IR emitter (or another brand)
Blu-ray, PS3, Xbox360, etc etc --> Optima 3D-XL with shutter glasses

So unless LG is cooking a new firmware that gives us real 3D support, I think these are the options we have now to enjoy 3D with this PJ.
And don't get me wrong, being able do to 1280x720 @ 120Hz already make me very happy smile.gif

I attached some pages concerning 3D from the manual, maybe they can be useful for some.

post #279 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 AM

I've owned both the Optoma ML500 and the Acer K330. Both of them were returned within 30 days. The Optoma went out of focus within 10 minutes of warming up, had to manually readjust all the time. Both projectors had strange sync over HDMI issues when connected via PC (VGA was not an option in my setup). These problems are documented by other users on the internet, but I thought perhaps I'd get lucky and those other problems were just bad apples. Nope. The remotes on both are terrible (I didn't think this was an issue, until I started using them daily), and the color adjustments you can make are minimal.

I've owned an LG HX300G for a year and a half now. No HDMI sync issues, amazing color adjustment abilities. I've played extensively with my friend's PA70G and it's a winner all around. Just ordered 2 of the things smile.gif Also, I had a minor issue with my HX300G a few months ago, and LG warranty support was quick and didn't give me any hassles.

I have a Samsung F10M in my living room, I've done side-by-side comparisons with it, the HX300G, and the PA70G, and I believe 700 lumens is quite on the mark. Going from 270 lumens to 500 lumens on the Optoma/Acer was a decent upgrade (if they didn't have major issues, I'd still have one or the other), and I think on the HX300G LG was a little conservative on the 270 lumen rating. The PA70G is not quite as bright as my Samsung F10M (1000 lumens, LED), but it's pretty close.

I haven't tested 3D over HDMI yet, but I can confirm 1280x720 @ 120Hz using a custom resolution on a PC with an Nvidia card.

Full review forthcoming.
post #280 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 AM

Sale is back on at Fry's by the way, thanks garibay_2004 for the advice to keep checking their site. It wasn't on sale yesterday afternoon when I checked, but sure enough this morning, it was back on.
post #281 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackdownfletch View Post

I've owned both the Optoma ML500 and the Acer K330. Both of them were returned within 30 days. The Optoma went out of focus within 10 minutes of warming up, had to manually readjust all the time. Both projectors had strange sync over HDMI issues when connected via PC (VGA was not an option in my setup). These problems are documented by other users on the internet, but I thought perhaps I'd get lucky and those other problems were just bad apples. Nope. The remotes on both are terrible (I didn't think this was an issue, until I started using them daily), and the color adjustments you can make are minimal.
I've owned an LG HX300G for a year and a half now. No HDMI sync issues, amazing color adjustment abilities. I've played extensively with my friend's PA70G and it's a winner all around. Just ordered 2 of the things smile.gif Also, I had a minor issue with my HX300G a few months ago, and LG warranty support was quick and didn't give me any hassles.
I have a Samsung F10M in my living room, I've done side-by-side comparisons with it, the HX300G, and the PA70G, and I believe 700 lumens is quite on the mark. Going from 270 lumens to 500 lumens on the Optoma/Acer was a decent upgrade (if they didn't have major issues, I'd still have one or the other), and I think on the HX300G LG was a little conservative on the 270 lumen rating. The PA70G is not quite as bright as my Samsung F10M (1000 lumens, LED), but it's pretty close.
I haven't tested 3D over HDMI yet, but I can confirm 1280x720 @ 120Hz using a custom resolution on a PC with an Nvidia card.
Full review forthcoming.

I have tried various resolutions from my HTPC, but I can't get the "just scan" option enabled on the PA70G. I am wondering if any of you using a PC have gotten "just scan" enabled on your PA70G, or even on your HW30XX series projectors? (With the Xbox sending 720P signal I am able to select "just scan" on the PA70G.)
post #282 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM

That's strange. Did you try 1920x1080 and 1280x720 on your HTPC?
Both resolutions on my HTPC with Nvidia graphics card are giving me the option to select Just Scan on the PA70G.
post #283 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graafish View Post

Both resolutions on my HTPC with Nvidia graphics card are giving me the option to select Just Scan on the PA70G.

I did try those. But today I will run through all the options again - just to make sure I haven't missed something.

For reference, my HTPC is using a Sandy Bridge i3-2100 CPU and the built in HD 2000 graphics. (Connection to the PA70G is via an HDMI cable.) The HTPC has worked fine with my LG TV for over a year, with the HTPC outputting 1920x1080 and the TV set to "just scan". That is why it is strange the PA70G will not allow "just scan". The only options the PA70G allows with the HTPC signal are "full" and "16x9". All others are grayed out.

But with the Xbox connected, seems like I have all the options enabled including "just scan".
post #284 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. about the sale SDF. I purchased one this morning. This will be my first projector.
I've read that it's not much brighter than the HX/HW300t but I'm hoping that it helps when viewing with some lights on.

Question for the owners of this model or the other ones. How do you run your sound? Wish it had blue tooth
post #285 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graafish View Post

Well I tried the various resolutions available on my HTPC. After I set the res to 1920x1080, then on the PA70G the "just scan" setting became enabled. The screen image on "just scan" takes up the entire 16x9 screen perfectly. But this makes little sense. "Just scan" should mean one to one pixel mapping with the input signal. In this case, mapping 1920x1080 to the PA70G 1280x800 size should result in parts of the image displayed off the screen. Clearly that is not happening.

Another odd thing when the HTPC is set to 1920x1080, the icons and all text in apps and online is smaller, as if I am viewing a 1920x1080 image. But I can't be viewing that resolution - because the PA70Gdoes not support it. The projector only goes up to 1280x800. I can only conclude that "just scan" is not operating as expected, and in fact is doing some scaling, and not "one to one" pixel mapping.

I ended up setting my HTPC back to 1280x720 with the PA70G on "full" (since "just scan" is not available at that resolution). I did this because text is too small poorly defined when the HTPC was sending the 1920x1080 resolution.
post #286 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpack84 View Post

Thanks for the info. about the sale SDF. I purchased one this morning. This will be my first projector.
I've read that it's not much brighter than the HX/HW300t but I'm hoping that it helps when viewing with some lights on.
Question for the owners of this model or the other ones. How do you run your sound? Wish it had blue tooth

Both my Xbox and HTPC are connected to the PA70G via HDMI cables routed through my Denon A/V receiver. So the sound is split off inside the Denon and routed to my 5.1 speakers system. Works fine that way, and so far I have noticed no lip-sync issues with the image.

In terms of light, in my basement I can view the PA70G with one or two 60 watt bulbs lit - as long as they do not shine directly on the screen. (Shine one of them directly on the screen and the image is degraded a lot - not really watchable.) Otherwise my kids sometimes play video games with one indirect 60 watt bulb on and they don't mind at all. The image is watchable. But to get the best blacks, turning out the lights is the way to go.
ratpack84 likes this.
post #287 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Having owned the PA70G for over a week, here is my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
  1. LED light source. Little need to worry about bulb. Particularly nice when people who are not as careful as me (my kids) are using the projector, switching it on and off, and using it for extended hours.
  2. Fans are reasonably quite in medium and high energy saving settings.
  3. Turns on and off quick.
  4. No HDMI handshake issues with either Xbox or HTPC, or my A/V receiver.
  5. 100” diagonal image is bright enough for viewing most material, even with some low indirect light in the room, but dark is best.
  6. Contrast is ok after playing with settings and setting “blacks” to “low”.
  7. Watching HD material recorded from OTA broadcasts looks real nice IMO.

Cons:
  1. Uneven focus – at least at the 100” diagonal image size. I can get reasonable sharpness, but not all text sharp at same time. Not much of an issue for games or movies because we don’t notice any off-focus for those materials.
  2. “Dark” movies such as Harry Potter films exhibit a lack of brightness and differentiation between the subdued black sets and costumes. Of course, these are darker films by design. But perhaps playing with gamma settings etc - a person could arrive at a particular setup to use for these type of darker films.
  3. I see dead people. Not really – but I do see some rainbows. Perhaps I am more sensitive than others. I can see rainbows if I dart my eyes and there are small bright sections of the image surrounded by darker sections. Not a big problem – just don’t dart my eyes. But I see a lot more rainbows watching black and white material. For example, I tried “Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein” and saw a lot of rainbows. I consider it unwatchable. Maybe that is a problem to some extent with all DLP tech. If you are a big B/W film noir fan – maybe get an LCD projector.
  4. Some issues getting HTPC resolution to map to some disabled aspect ratio settings – but in practice I can get a fine image in the correct ratio. (These work best for me: Xbox 720p/PA70G “just scan”, HTPC 1280x720/PA70G “full”)
  5. Not sure yet how large an image is possible, as the focus ring is near the end of travel when the image reaches 100” diagonal size.
  6. In max brightness setting the fan can be a bit loud but not obnoxious.
  7. The LED or something else inside the projector (not the fans) makes a mild buzzing sound.
  8. The diagonal pixels are noticeable when reading a lot of smaller text, but does not prevent me from surfing the web and reading things. 1080p with square pixels would definitely have an advantage here though.

I am no projector expert – but hope that info helps some potential buyers.
post #288 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Any way to confirm it really DISPLAYS 1280x720 @ 120Hz rather than just supports it as an input? If so, at a minimum it could support BD 3D through an external converter. I have serious doubts about HDMI 1.4a support, regardless of what customer service says... Heck, they told me it was not a US model and would not be supported by LG USA under warranty!

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #289 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks indio22,

Have you tried to use the projector as a second monitor? What I mean is do you think you can use the extended desktop feature that is on most computers? Open a webpage that's playing a video and send it to the projector/screen while still being able to surf the web on a second monitor.

I can do this on my LG TV that 's connected to my Mac Mini and also wireless with air parrot and apple TV. It would be great to sit back with a laptop and view online videos and still be able to use the laptop. What HDMI switch do you have/ I planned on connecting my xbox.appleTV and my receiver.

I know there's a thread on screens, but can someone give me advise on what type of screen material to use with this led projector. Matte White, Grey, SuperWhite. I want to make the screen myself because, the size might change once I project an Image on the wall. So I don't want to be stuck with a fix size.
post #290 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

Any way to confirm it really DISPLAYS 1280x720 @ 120Hz rather than just supports it as an input? If so, at a minimum it could support BD 3D through an external converter. I have serious doubts about HDMI 1.4a support, regardless of what customer service says... Heck, they told me it was not a US model and would not be supported by LG USA under warranty!

I'm pretty sure 1280x720 @ 120Hz is the real deal.
Being allergic for 3:2 pull down judder I know for sure it's really 120Hz because 720p@120Hz is judder free.
To be able to do this it must be doing 5:5 pull down which can only be done if the PJ is running at 120Hz.

And to be really sure I connected the PG70G to my Lumagen Radiance video processor and the info page showed the PG70G output signal to be 120Hz.. well 119,88Hz to be precise smile.gif

So yes the only option at the moment for 3D Blu-ray would be using the Optima 3D-XL.
And about the HDMI 1.4a.. I don't believe that either. But I already made that clear in my previous posts rolleyes.gif
post #291 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Regarding focus ring travel on the PA70G. My screen is located approx 10.5 feet from the projector lens. At that distance, it produces a 100" diagonal image, and the focus ring is near the end of its travel.

As a test, I increased the distance to approx 14.5 feet. I was able to get the image in focus - in fact I barely needed to turn the focus ring if any. So this leads me to believe the PA70G gets to a point where it is effectively in infinite focus. Meaning at a certain distance, moving the projector further from the screen does not result in a change of focus. Or at least in my test, moving the projector from 10.5 to 14.5 feet required little if any turning of the focus ring. This seems similar to many cameras, where at a certain distance, everything further remains in focus without needing to turn the focus ring.

Not sure if that is how all projectors function in terms of focus - or just this one.
post #292 of 2337 Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Regarding focus ring travel on the PA70G. My screen is located approx 10.5 feet from the projector lens. At that distance, it produces a 100" diagonal image, and the focus ring is near the end of its travel.

As a test, I increased the distance to approx 14.5 feet. I was able to get the image in focus - in fact I barely needed to turn the focus ring if any. So this leads me to believe the PA70G gets to a point where it is effectively in infinite focus. Meaning at a certain distance, moving the projector further from the screen does not result in a change of focus. Or at least in my test, moving the projector from 10.5 to 14.5 feet required little if any turning of the focus ring. This seems similar to many cameras, where at a certain distance, everything further remains in focus without needing to turn the focus ring.

Not sure if that is how all projectors function in terms of focus - or just this one.

How big was image from 14.5 ft.?
post #293 of 2337 Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Sorry can't answer that - the image was too wide for my 100" diagonal screen at that distance. I mainly did it as a test to determine if the projector could focus from that distance.
post #294 of 2337 Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

According to the 1.4 throw ratio, should be in the neighborhood of 145" diagonal... IOW, way too dim wink.gif

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #295 of 2337 Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
Had the same with my LG PB60G. Moved about 16 ft. from the wall and i could get the picture focused well, and barely needed to turn the focus ring. Got arround 155" picture. Real cinema at home biggrin.gif
post #296 of 2337 Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone using HP screen with their setup?
post #297 of 2337 Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Will i be able to fill and focus my 106" screen with this projector?
post #298 of 2337 Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, why wouldn't it work on a 106" screen?
post #299 of 2337 Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Yes, why wouldn't it work on a 106" screen?
Bc i was looking at manual and maximum it shows is 215cm width, 106" is 234cm, so just want to be sure focus ring will be enough...
post #300 of 2337 Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

Bc i was looking at manual and maximum it shows is 215cm width, 106" is 234cm, so just want to be sure focus ring will be enough...

Yes, the user manual contains a grid listing 16:10 screen sizes for certain projector/screen distances. 215cm screen width is the largest size listed, at a projector/screen distance of 306cm. (306cm is about 10 feet.) I currently have my PA70G at just about 10 feet distance from the screen, and the focus wheel is close to maxed out in terms of travel. The other day I did a quick test, moving my screen approx 14.5 feet from the PA70G. The text was still in focus - same as it was at 10 feet. (Although mind you, even at 10 feet, I find some unevenness in the focus depending on where the text is located.)

But basically - it seems like around 10 or so feet, the PA70G reaches infinite focus, and anything further away remains in focus. Well at least to 14.5 feet where I tested, lol. Brightness at that large size is something to consider - it may or may not be acceptable given the 700 lumen max of the PA70G.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Samsung 700 Lumens Xga Dlp Projector Sph710ae
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page