LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just for the sake of everyone who owns the LGPA70G or the other clone projectors with the diamond shaped pixels there was a article that could explain why there is some sort of softness look between the DMD micro processor mirrors.
If anyone wants to read up about it is called The SmoothPicture™Algorithm: An Overview by David C. Hutchison Texas Instruments
DLP™ TV.
I don't know if these same DMD processors that were produced for these DLP TVs are the same as in this current generation of diamond shaped pixels DMDs for these projectors, but, this would explain the reason why the screen door effect might not be as clear on these chips because of the horizontal displacement
methodology.
Would this be the same in these DMD microprocessors as in these DLP TVs as the DMD microprocessors in this generation of LED projectors ? anyone have any ideas if this correct ?
That could explain why there is the softness look between the DMD mirrors.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For me I have not bought that or any projector recently.
I am still using my LG-HX300.
Do I wish I had one with better resolution, more brightness ? yes.
It does focus to my satisfaction, no problems there with this projector.
I am waiting it out for the next generation of projectors and see what I can buy at the price point I am willing to pay compared to performance.
If I don't see any coming out next year that I can afford, then yes I will consider the LG-PA70G projector.
Would you say this LG projector has design problems in it ? or was it from lazy quality control ?
Is it just a case of a batch of few that got out that were not checked out ?
If I do get this projector the focus issue would not be a problem as long as I can view movies and game with a focus that is satisfactory.
However, if it is a major issue with these projector lens, shouldn't they look into it ? or is this something that people should live with ?
Is there a limit to problems that people should live with in electronics ?
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #543 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post

i think it is very helpful for a potential customer to hear about problems other customers had with THEIR unit. so if someone however buys the unit, he knows there could be a problem. if he live with the problem, return the unit or send in in for repair is another story. it is fine too if someone says for the price he doesnt expect to have a flawless focus of the picture. but it is not fine if he states, someone whos expecting an even focus is just nitpicking. for me it is unrelevant how much i have paid for a product. if it has a flaw which is in some way detracting from usage, then it is going to be returned. so i guess the satisfaction with a product always depends on the individual scenario of usage and in some degree the personal attitude of what quality standards are exceptable.

I think you made a key distinction when you wrote: "if it has a flaw which is in some way detracting from usage". The distinction being, if a flaw does not detract from usage, then is it really even an issue. Is uneven focus on my PA70G a distraction when I watch a movie or view subtitles? No. Is it a distraction when I play video games? No. Hence focus is a non-issue for these activities. Not because I am willing to put up with uneven focus as some commenters have suggested, rather because the image looks nice and I don't perceive uneven focus with these activities.

For those persons concerned about focus with the PA70G, I think you should concentrate on the display of static web pages and other apps with lots of small text around the screen. That is where I can see some uneven focus. Doesn't prevent web surfing, but it is there. Certainly if the user must have the lower right corner Windows clock in perfect focus, the PA70G is probably not the projector to get. Or if looking at a lot of Excel spreadsheets or other stuff like that, I recommend a different projector.

But here is something important to consider - in my opinion even the well focused parts of the image don't look all that hot in terms of smaller text and certain static graphics. Not because of poor focus, rather because 720p and diamond pixel arraingment are not the best choice for smooth text and graphics on a 100" screen, at least not from my experience. That stuff is not the PA70G's forte. Honestly, anyone looking for best looking static text and graphics capability is in the wrong place with this proejctor - and probably all the other LED diamond pixel projectors as well. You should be looking at 1080p horizontal pixel projectors.
indio22 is offline  
post #544 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Jagermester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

I think you made a key distinction when you wrote: "if it has a flaw which is in some way detracting from usage". The distinction being, if a flaw does not detract from usage, then is it really even an issue. Is uneven focus on my PA70G a distraction when I watch a movie or view subtitles? No. Is it a distraction when I play video games? No. Hence focus is a non-issue for these activities. Not because I am willing to put up with uneven focus as some commenters have suggested, rather because the image looks nice and I don't perceive uneven focus with these activities.
For those persons concerned about focus with the PA70G, I think you should concentrate on the display of static web pages and other apps with lots of small text around the screen. That is where I can see some uneven focus. Doesn't prevent web surfing, but it is there. Certainly if the user must have the lower right corner Windows clock in perfect focus, the PA70G is probably not the projector to get. Or if looking at a lot of Excel spreadsheets or other stuff like that, I recommend a different projector.
But here is something important to consider - in my opinion even the well focused parts of the image don't look all that hot in terms of smaller text and certain static graphics. Not because of poor focus, rather because 720p and diamond pixel arraingment are not the best choice for smooth text and graphics on a 100" screen, at least not from my experience. That stuff is not the PA70G's forte. Honestly, anyone looking for best looking static text and graphics capability is in the wrong place with this proejctor - and probably all the other LED diamond pixel projectors as well. You should be looking at 1080p horizontal pixel projectors.
I have the Lg Pb60g with the same focus issue. cant get it focused well everywhere at the same time, but when you want to read text or read websites, just play with the setting a little bit. Increase H sharpness in the settings and voila, texts will be much sharper. wink.gif
Jagermester is offline  
post #545 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
rgtaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think part of the frustration in this thread is that pro reviews and user reviews are practically non-existent. I couldn't find pro reviews on the pa70g and only 1 user review on amazon. So I came here a couple of weeks ago looking for info on whether to buy this or not , because of the fry's sale.

The Focus is a VERY BIG issue for me and I'm not alone. Now if there were 2 or 3 pro reviews on this model and they were positive and 20 user reviews and they were mostly positive, I could understand maybe someone not liking the PJ. But you guys in this room that own the unit got to give the rest of us, heads up, because many of us don't want to have to pay 15 percent restocking fee if we don't like the unit.

I would be using something like this LED PJ as a pc monitor, so top to bottom, left to right focus is important for me.

What I wanted to figure out and I couldn't a few weeks ago , is how many people had focus problem 5 out of 10, or 1 out of 10, and without pro reviews and user reviews , I decided to pass on this PJ.

Maybe some of you guys that do own this PJ, can post something on youtube , mini reviews. Because if it goes on sale again, I would like to know if problems are rare or the norm.
rgtaa is offline  
post #546 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

I think part of the frustration in this thread is that pro reviews and user reviews are practically non-existent. I couldn't find pro reviews on the pa70g and only 1 user review on amazon. So I came here a couple of weeks ago looking for info on whether to buy this or not , because of the fry's sale.
The Focus is a VERY BIG issue for me and I'm not alone. Now if there were 2 or 3 pro reviews on this model and they were positive and 20 user reviews and they were mostly positive, I could understand maybe someone not liking the PJ. But you guys in this room that own the unit got to give the rest of us, heads up, because many of us don't want to have to pay 15 percent restocking fee if we don't like the unit.
I would be using something like this LED PJ as a pc monitor, so top to bottom, left to right focus is important for me.
What I wanted to figure out and I couldn't a few weeks ago , is how many people had focus problem 5 out of 10, or 1 out of 10, and without pro reviews and user reviews , I decided to pass on this PJ.
Maybe some of you guys that do own this PJ, can post something on youtube , mini reviews. Because if it goes on sale again, I would like to know if problems are rare or the norm.

rgtaa,

I had the same feeling as you are now. I was reluctant to get the LGPA70g while Frys' was on sale 1 month ago with the price $450. I read every comment this threat and I was so confused and asked myself that should I get this projector. Since the forum has positive and negative comments, I could not conclude it was good or not. I put a lot of hope on Q5 because it was the pre-release and there many good feedback about Q2. At the time Q5 releases and I was so excited to order this projector from Amazon. However, the device is a little bit expensive at the price $650.00.
I really enjoyed about the Q5 and it was so tiny and the picture quality is very good but I was not happy about the fan noise and over price.

Since Fry was on sale again for the LGPA70G with the price $499 + tax, I evaluated the device wa stronger or brighter and the price was cheaper. I was reluctant to buy this unit at my local Fry's.
Yes, I was glad to move the right decision and I also was worried about the focus issue which other members noticed.

I was surprised that LG PA70g is a lot of brightness to compare with Q5 and fan is less noise. I don't have a focus issue every time and it happens few seconds it comes and it goes.
Since I am a novice user, I don't expect to much as other experienced users. My wife usually against me to buy an expensive thing but since she saw the projector's performance and she had no
word to me. She is so happy and enjoyable about the projector and blesses me a thousand of kisses : )

Another reason I like the LG PA70g it has a short throw, and the picture is very good. Last week, I streamed the Battleship movie from Vudu with the 1080 p resolution and played the Avergenger movie through a Blue ray player to the people at church, every one was enjoyable and very surprised.
pdo2006 is offline  
post #547 of 2337 Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Member
 
displaylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by donik View Post

LG PA70G vs Acer K330





By looking at the pictures alone, the LG PA70G has a strong contrast and has a beautifully saturated projected image, compared to Acer K330 IMO.

Thanks a lot donik, it helps a lot....
bghanekar likes this.
displaylou is offline  
post #548 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Newbie
 
donik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12


bghanekar likes this.
donik is offline  
post #549 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Newbie
 
donik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it's LG PA70G best projector in its category
donik is offline  
post #550 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Member
 
displaylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by donik View Post

I think it's LG PA70G best projector in its category


Absolutely donik you're correct.

What they are taking about the uneven focus?

BTW, your pictures are great, you did a great job.
displaylou is offline  
post #551 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Newbie
 
donik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanks smile.gif
donik is offline  
post #552 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
mishari84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Qumi Q5 specs are better in some aspects. hope to see a comparison soon
mishari84 is offline  
post #553 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

Qumi Q5 specs are better in some aspects. hope to see a comparison soon

I wonder about the noise levels on the Q5, since it seems to use the similar small case as the Q3? Small higher rpm fans, small airways and close components typically are not optimum for low noise, especially if the added lumens require further heat removal. Will be interesting to see what the users report.

As someone who doesn’t need the compact size, I am hoping the day arrives soon when LED light sources will be in regular sized projectors, without the small form factor limitations. But for now it seems, the marketing people think the best way to sell most of these projectors, is with the addition of portability. With my PA70G mounted to the ceiling, really I could care less about small form factor or portability.
indio22 is offline  
post #554 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Member
 
Honzik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

But for now it seems, the marketing people think the best way to sell most of these projectors, is with the addition of portability. With my PA70G mounted to the ceiling, really I could care less about small form factor or portability.
I agree! ...but mayby there are not the better LED light sources right now which needs a bigger body for a bigger cooling system.
Honzik1 is offline  
post #555 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honzik1 View Post

I agree! ...but mayby there are not the better LED light sources right now which needs a bigger body for a bigger cooling system.

True. Although when I owned the smaller LG HW350T projector for a short time, when set to the highest lumen output, it sounded like a small hair dryer. I wonder if we took the same light source, and placed it into a larger case, with larger heat sink, and larger slower spinning fans - the result would most likely be a significant lower noise?

One reason I returned the HW350T, was my wife immediately asking if it would always be making so much noise. Also the PA70G happened to suddenly appear on sale for near the same price, so how could I resist the exchange! smile.gif I think the PA70G still makes for some media too much noise when on highest lumen setting, mainly when watching quiet films. So for those quiet films, I use the medium lumen setting, which is still bright enough but much less noise.
indio22 is offline  
post #556 of 2337 Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Honzik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

True. Although when I owned the smaller LG HW350T projector for a short time, when set to the highest lumen output, it sounded like a small hair dryer. I wonder if we took the same light source, and placed it into a larger case, with larger heat sink, and larger slower spinning fans - the result would most likely be a significant lower noise?
One reason I returned the HW350T, was my wife immediately asking if it would always be making so much noise. Also the PA70G happened to suddenly appear on sale for near the same price, so how could I resist the exchange! smile.gif I think the PA70G still makes for some media too much noise when on highest lumen setting, mainly when watching quiet films. So for those quiet films, I use the medium lumen setting, which is still bright enough but much less noise.
It is always a compromise between noise and size of device. Same with laptops where the fans are noisy just when we want high performance. Its same for this projector, for low power-mode there is almost no noise like at laptops. Mayby there cannot be better lumen boost possible (more than 700 lumens) even if you add much bigger cooling system. There are volts limit for each LED diode, you can not increase the volts to infinity, otherwise you burn it.
Honzik1 is offline  
post #557 of 2337 Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Member
 
leila80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone post the exact or aprox distance needed for a 106" screen? (2340mm width)

And also about rainbow effect, considering i see it pretty often with an optoma hd33, what i can expect from this lg?
leila80 is offline  
post #558 of 2337 Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Honzik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

Can someone post the exact or aprox distance needed for a 106" screen? (2340mm width)
And also about rainbow effect, considering i see it pretty often with an optoma hd33, what i can expect from this lg?
Hey, look at this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-PA70G-projection-calculator-pro.htm
And no rainbow effect wink.gif
Honzik1 is offline  
post #559 of 2337 Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Member
 
monakh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lahore | Manama | Washington
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

Can someone post the exact or aprox distance needed for a 106" screen? (2340mm width)
And also about rainbow effect, considering i see it pretty often with an optoma hd33, what i can expect from this lg?

9-9.5 feet should give you that screen size. I see no SDE but I think I am less prone to see it than most.

Edit: The PC calc may be a bit off. I am at ten feet and my screen size is around 115 inches, give or take a few.
monakh is offline  
post #560 of 2337 Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Member
 
leila80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, my unit should arrive this week, hope it will be good..
leila80 is offline  
post #561 of 2337 Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sisyphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

And also about rainbow effect, considering i see it pretty often with an optoma hd33, what i can expect from this lg?


Here are a couple reports of rainbows. The Acer K330 is supposed to be pretty good as far as not having rainbows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman90077 View Post

* another issue I must mention is that I dont know why but this LG PA70G projector and the ACER K130 made me feel like I was going to either get a Migraine or have a seizure if I didnt turn it off immediatly! I Suffer from Photo sensitive epilipsy and for some reason these two projectors make my brain feel VERY strained when I try to watch a movie on it. I dont know why. Im thinking maybe it has
something to do with the rainbow effect which I found to be absolutley VERY obvious on these two projectors. Ive owned a DLP Bulb projector in the past and even though I quite often would see rainbows
not once did I ever feel like my eyes or brain were being strained while watching a movie.
I had no problem watching movies on the ACER K330 even though I did notice rainbows from time to time, except once I did feel abit sick in my stomach while watching a movie but overall the image produced by the projector did not hurt my eyes like the LG PA70G and ACER K130.
I literally plugged in the LG, turned it on and within 5 minutes turned it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Having owned the PA70G for over a week, here is my list of pros and cons.

[*] I see dead people. Not really – but I do see some rainbows. Perhaps I am more sensitive than others. I can see rainbows if I dart my eyes and there are small bright sections of the image surrounded by darker sections. Not a big problem – just don’t dart my eyes. But I see a lot more rainbows watching black and white material. For example, I tried “Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein” and saw a lot of rainbows. I consider it unwatchable. Maybe that is a problem to some extent with all DLP tech. If you are a big B/W film noir fan – maybe get an LCD projector.
Sisyphus is offline  
post #562 of 2337 Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Member
 
dja1ien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a pa70g owner, I can also confirm that this technology isn't rainbow-free. I've always had DLP projectors, from the X1 to SP4805 to HD70 and now the PA70G. The rainbow effect on the PA70G is more pronounced than the HD70 (4x color wheel) on high contrast items, like text on a black background. That being said, just as on my other projectors, a few weeks of consistent usage seems to train my eyes to reduce the effect. I was concerned about how much more prominent the rainbows were when I first started using it, and in fact had a few nights of "did I make a mistake switching?" moments, but now that I've given myself more time to settle into it, I can't imagine going back. Compared to an HD70 with only about 600 hours on the original bulb, this thing is brighter and has much better color and shadow detail.
dja1ien is offline  
post #563 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 AM
 
garibay_2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
does anyone think that the next generation LED projectors in this class 500-700 lumen will be 1080P? I've owned several LG models, last being the hw350t, I loved it but the black levels were a bit too disappointing, was wondering also if anyone would comment about how much better are the black levels on this model, I was thinking of getting the PB61U mainly because it has a tuner built-in, thank you:)
garibay_2004 is offline  
post #564 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Member
 
boardboy330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoIL
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

does anyone think that the next generation LED projectors in this class 500-700 lumen will be 1080P? I've owned several LG models, last being the hw350t, I loved it but the black levels were a bit too disappointing, was wondering also if anyone would comment about how much better are the black levels on this model, I was thinking of getting the PB61U mainly because it has a tuner built-in, thank you:)

No, I don't believe the next gen will be 1080p. I think manufacturers need to find better light sources such as 3W - 10W CREEs and getting away from such small form factors before attempting higher resolutions. I think the industry is listening to consumer feedback and they see the need to move in that direction.
boardboy330 is offline  
post #565 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
reybie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just realized that this pj has no zoom. eek.gif.. it's going to be hard to move my existing mount unless I can come up with a rail type thing so I can move it forward/backward to line it up with my existing screen.
reybie is offline  
post #566 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Member
 
andysm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja1ien View Post

As a pa70g owner, I can also confirm that this technology isn't rainbow-free. I've always had DLP projectors, from the X1 to SP4805 to HD70 and now the PA70G. The rainbow effect on the PA70G is more pronounced than the HD70 (4x color wheel) on high contrast items, like text on a black background. That being said, just as on my other projectors, a few weeks of consistent usage seems to train my eyes to reduce the effect. I was concerned about how much more prominent the rainbows were when I first started using it, and in fact had a few nights of "did I make a mistake switching?" moments, but now that I've given myself more time to settle into it, I can't imagine going back. Compared to an HD70 with only about 600 hours on the original bulb, this thing is brighter and has much better color and shadow detail.

Hi, does setting the PA70G to eco mode noticeably reduce the RBE?
andysm is offline  
post #567 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Member
 
leila80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, received it today and after setting up, ceiling mounted:
I noticed there is alot of light spilling from the bottom, is this normal? like 10cm or even more!?
About RBE, sadly it's like projectors with color wheels, quite good amount of it, even on eco mode.
leila80 is offline  
post #568 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
RPS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Light spilling out? The case is one piece, and there are no vents in the front at all. Where would light spill out?
RPS13 is offline  
post #569 of 2337 Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Member
 
leila80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont know, but having the image fitting the whole screen, there is light getting outside the bottom black bar, thus hitting the back wall.

On the good things, i can say there is absolutely no lag when playing games (tested pc and ps3), it's on pair with the epson 8350.

I would like to keep it, but this RBE is driving me crazy, to the point it even made feel little sick... guess it's time to get back to the lcds...
leila80 is offline  
post #570 of 2337 Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Member
 
dja1ien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

I dont know, but having the image fitting the whole screen, there is light getting outside the bottom black bar, thus hitting the back wall.
On the good things, i can say there is absolutely no lag when playing games (tested pc and ps3), it's on pair with the epson 8350.
I would like to keep it, but this RBE is driving me crazy, to the point it even made feel little sick... guess it's time to get back to the lcds...

Do you by chance have a 16:9 screen that you've fit the image to? Since this is a 16:10 projector, you would have light spill on both the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen. Mine doesn't have light spill outside of the actual projection area.

Regarding the RBE, I myself am sensitive to it and noticed it immediately on this projector, but after about a week or two of steady use my eyes have settled into it quite a bit and it has become neglibile and only of notice when darting the eyes on credits and whatnot. If you have the time on a return policy, you could try letting your eyes settle into it, and even make a conscious effort to keep your eyes from rapidly moving around the screen during high contrast scenes. Rather than giving up on DLP totally though, you could also look at other DLP bulb projectors instead... my old HD70 had less RBE than this device and it's from about 2005 or so.
dja1ien is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Samsung 700 Lumens Xga Dlp Projector Sph710ae
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off