LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2334 Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anybody here will able to do a side by side comparison between LG PA70G & Qumi Q5? Please post a picture or video,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2334 Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use the projectors in Cinema mode to have accurate colors. everyone uses different setting and preferences. Regarding gaming, Q5 is very good for gaming, accurate colors, low lag and good smooth motion except in very fast moves.

Hope this helps
post #633 of 2334 Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I owned the Ht350T and now own the 70G. I cant see day and night difference between the two- with double the lumens i am supposed to I guess? The contrast and colors are more lively. I can see the 70g is brighter. For $50-100 difference I would pick the 70G but anything more, I would just stay with the 350T.

I opened mine on Saturday and Im thinking of taking it back. The wife doesnt like it- she says she prefers the clarity on a 1080p television. I dont think the RBE or out of focus are deal killers for me.
post #634 of 2334 Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your eyes perceive brightness in a logarithmic manner. Plus they compensate very well for lower light output. So twice the lumens doesn't look significantly dimmer if you don't have an immediate reference.

Like power up the PA70G in maximum energy saving mode. It's probably ~40% less lumens than minimum energy saving mode, and it looks super dim if you switch immediately between them. But remove that reference of the brighter image, and your mind and eyes compensate to a great extent for the lower lumen output of maximum energy saving mode.

So it's hard to not do a back to back comparison unless you really know what to look for on brightness.
post #635 of 2334 Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Your eyes perceive brightness in a logarithmic manner. Plus they compensate very well for lower light output. So twice the lumens doesn't look significantly dimmer if you don't have an immediate reference.
Like power up the PA70G in maximum energy saving mode. It's probably ~40% less lumens than minimum energy saving mode, and it looks super dim if you switch immediately between them. But remove that reference of the brighter image, and your mind and eyes compensate to a great extent for the lower lumen output of maximum energy saving mode.
So it's hard to not do a back to back comparison unless you really know what to look for on brightness.

I AGREE! Very well said...
post #636 of 2334 Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaswamy View Post

I owned the Ht350T and now own the 70G. I cant see day and night difference between the two- with double the lumens i am supposed to I guess? The contrast and colors are more lively. I can see the 70g is brighter. For $50-100 difference I would pick the 70G but anything more, I would just stay with the 350T.
I opened mine on Saturday and Im thinking of taking it back. The wife doesnt like it- she says she prefers the clarity on a 1080p television. I dont think the RBE or out of focus are deal killers for me.

I had the 350T and was thinking of getting the PB61U with supposedly 15,000:1 contrast ratio, are you saying that you really can't tell the difference? like the black bars on letterboxed movies aren't any darker? I want the PB60U mainly because it has a tuner and I like that feature since I don't have a cable box, but if it's not day and night difference in contrast, I will wait until the 1080p LED show up next year hopefully, so can you please give us your assessment of the difference specifically on contrast ratio?? than you so much
post #637 of 2334 Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virsat View Post

Hi there! Do you have experience with the hw350t and pa70g to where you would recommend returning the 350t for a pa70g? This was the first time I bought anything from Fry's and I'm not even sure how they will handle a refund/return on an unopened item or how long it may take if I go that route. I've read every post in this thread multiple times but things have changed since the first post. A lot more people have them and opinions have shifted around. Thanks!

I think you can just refuse delivery, just tell the ups person that you won't accept delivery and they will return to sender, don't know where you bought it but amazon or any other reputable vendor will accept a return without a RMA if refused delivery. I had the 350T and I was happy with it, the only thing that I felt could be improved was the contrast ratio, blacks are just not black enough, I hear the PA70 has better blacks but not day and night difference. I'd choose the PA70 over the 350T if you can get it on sale for 499.00 with projectors brighter is always better. hope that helps:D
post #638 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 01:04 AM

From the beginning, I have lot of experiences and articles about Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projectors, like
- Vivitek Qumi Q2 (Wikipedia)
- Acer K330 (disassemble pictures)
but now, I just received the newest projector with same chipset:
- LG PA70G

Last year I compared the Vivitek and the Acer clone here, and the Acer K330 was much better than Qumi Q2, but now, LG PA70G is fairly the best projector at the moment in this price range on the market.

Here are the Advantages of LG PA70G compared to Acer K330:

- more brightness (700 lumens)
- much better media player with subtitle (forward, backward, resume, font size, position, sync time)
- much better HD/SD media playback capability (mkv, avi, mp4)
- folders/files browsing (USB)
- 2x3 watts stereo speakers (virtual sound capable)
- less fan noise
- much better contrast ratio
- usable lens cap (cap is not defocusing anymore)
- sound patterns (movie, sport, cinema, game)
- crystal voice
- more less rainbow effect (built in media player in USB mode)
- more options in menu
- no warm up focus issue
- no HDMI issue
- better remote

Disadvantages:
- focus issue (corners are defocused, but user repairable)
- factory menu not discovered yet
- no built in memory
- no built in power supply
- no wireless connection

Conclusion:
At the moment, the LG PA70G is the most brightest, best multimedia capable Texas DLP Pico HD chipset projector on the market, it gives a real and cheap entry level home cinema experience. Good job Lucky Goldstar (LG)!
post #639 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

Depends. If you see rainbows easily then the Acer K330 will be better. Also if you need 720p 120hz 3D only the Acer will generate a dlp-link signal for dlp-link glasses. The LG PA70 disables dlp-link if it detects 720p 120hz. Dlp-link glasses still work on the LG but only at 1024x768 120hz.
Other wise the LG seems to offer a sharper lens and more accurate colors compared to the Acer.

I recommended this projector to my brother until I saw this post saying that the DLP Link signal is disabled at 1280x720@120Hz, can you comfirm this?

You might try the "Service Menu Access Codes Request Thread" over at High Def junkies.

There's also a post in the ML500 thread you might try the codes there, post #506 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1341093/optoma-ml500-led-1280x800/480

I know to get into the service menus on LG TVs you need a special service remote, the supplied remote will not allow it. But people were able to use a universal remote in place of the special service remote to access the service menu. If recall correctly, the info for doing so was found at the LG Hack Forum.

LG is also open source code http://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensource-detail.jsp
post #640 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

I agree, I have measured: 60W / 80W / 110W for MAX / MED / MIN power saving mode of LG PA70G.
Which means:
110W = 700 lumens
80W = 509 lumens
60W = 381 lumens
Just math.
post #641 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 AM

There are lot of misunderstanding and legend about 3D 720p.

All Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projectors designed to work
- via HDMI 1024x768@120hz resolution.
There are no Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projector on the market which is working EDID
- via HDMI 1280x720@120hz resolution.
These are facts.

However, if you use Powerstrip on windows, you can switch 720p@120hz with custom timing, but it will be blurry. Also, users reported, if you use third party 3D controllers such Viewsonic or Optoma, it is possible to reach 720p@120hz, but it is probably fake or a trick, because limitation of HDMI and chipset there are not enough bandwidth, real and good timing for this resolution.

And it is true, EDID of Qumi can accept
- via VGA 720p@120hz resolution, but it is blurry and a joke from Delta Electronics.
So, everybody calm down, all Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projectors work great
- via HDMI 1024x768@120hz resolution, but not 720p@120hz.

Just check this post to get proper 720p@3D over VGA.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405666/lg-pa70g-led-1280x800-700-lumens/690#post_22550050
post #642 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

I think you can just refuse delivery, just tell the ups person that you won't accept delivery and they will return to sender, don't know where you bought it but amazon or any other reputable vendor will accept a return without a RMA if refused delivery. I had the 350T and I was happy with it, the only thing that I felt could be improved was the contrast ratio, blacks are just not black enough, I hear the PA70 has better blacks but not day and night difference. I'd choose the PA70 over the 350T if you can get it on sale for 499.00 with projectors brighter is always better. hope that helps:D

I bought from Fry's actually, and I have never bought from them so I have no idea what returning is like with them. I don't have a Fry's near me so this is all being done by mail. It's a little odd that it's been a full week since they say they sent it and it's not here yet, and they won't provide a tracking number.

I have the opportunity to visit a Fry's on Thursday which is a couple of hours away, and the PA70G is currently on sale for $449 through that day. I will pick it up if it's in stock and just hope they don't give me any trouble or charge me a restocking fee for the unopened HW350T, assuming it ever shows up!

post #643 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Anyone have a dslr, I'm ready for some killer screen shots. Also post what kind of s creen or if its just a wall.
post #644 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 PM

My HW350T arrived today, finally. Rather than open the box I called Fry's and they made the return process very easy. I'm on the road tomorrow and I will have the opportunity to visit and actual Fry's store a few hours away, so I am definitely doing that and hopefully they will still have some PA70G units in stock when I get there. UPS says about $16 to ship the HW350T back to Fry's (and Fry's will take half a month to return my money) but the PA70G still seems like a fantastic deal.

Hope I'm not sensitive to RBE, I've never seen it before. Also, have my little screwdriver set ready in case I need to fix the focus. wink.gif

I think I will be a lot happier with the versatility of over twice the lumens and quieter fan. Even if running the PA70G at maximum economy and it only puts out 380~ lumens it's still brighter than the HW350T and is a lot quieter, since full 300 lumen output on the HW350T would require the "hair dryer" level fan activity as reported.

I'll report back on my experience with the PA70G when I get it set up.

post #645 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

There are no Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projector on the market which is working EDID
These are facts.
However, if you use Powerstrip on windows, you can switch 720p@120hz with custom timing, but it will be blurry. Also, users reported, if you use third party 3D controllers such Viewsonic or Optoma, it is possible to reach 720p@120hz, but it is probably fake or a trick, because limitation of HDMI and chipset there are not enough bandwidth, real and good timing for this resolution.
- via VGA 720p@120hz resolution, but it is blurry and a joke from Delta Electronics.
So, everybody calm down, all Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projectors work great

So wrong

Obviously you were the wrong one to ask.

I have a PLED-W500 and there are no issues with the image being blurry when using an EDID override or or if using a custom resolution option in my GPU control panel for 3D at 1280x720@120Hz or 1280x800@120Hz via HDMI or VGA. The only issue is with text depending on the fonts being used, but that goes for 2D as well..(thanks to the diamond pixels)

I was trying to find out if the LG disabled the DLP Link via their software as was stated by Sisyphus when 1280x720@120Hz is used for 3D. Can anyone comfirm this please?
post #646 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 PM

so there is still hope for 3d with this led, i' can't wait!
post #647 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

From the beginning, I have lot of experiences and articles about Texas DLP Pico HD chipset based projectors, like
- Vivitek Qumi Q2 (Wikipedia)
- Acer K330 (disassemble pictures)
but now, I just received the newest projector with same chipset:
- LG PA70G
Last year I compared the Vivitek and the Acer clone here, and the Acer K330 was much better than Qumi Q2, but now, LG PA70G is fairly the best projector at the moment in this price range on the market.
Here are the Advantages of LG PA70G compared to Acer K330:
- more brightness (700 lumens)
- much better media player with subtitle (forward, backward, resume, font size, position, sync time)
- much better HD/SD media playback capability (mkv, avi, mp4)
- folders/files browsing (USB)
- 2x3 watts stereo speakers (virtual sound capable)
- less fan noise
- much better contrast ratio
- usable lens cap (cap is not defocusing anymore)
- sound patterns (movie, sport, cinema, game)
- crystal voice
- more less rainbow effect (built in media player in USB mode)
- more options in menu
- no warm up focus issue
- no HDMI issue
- better remote
Disadvantages:
- focus issue (corners are defocused, but user repairable)
- factory menu not discovered yet
- no built in memory
- no built in power supply
- no wireless connection
Conclusion:
At the moment, the LG PA70G is the most brightest, best multimedia capable Texas DLP Pico HD chipset projector on the market, it gives a real and cheap entry level home cinema experience. Good job Lucky Goldstar (LG)!

good review, Im considering getting the LG PB61U because it has a tuner, but having owned the HW300T and 350T I hear that the improvement in contrast/black levels is not all that noticeable, any thoughts? and LG stands for lucky goldstar? or you just made that up? LOL
post #648 of 2334 Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:

My HW350T arrived today, finally. Rather than open the box I called Fry's and they made the return process very easy. I'm on the road tomorrow and I will have the opportunity to visit and actual Fry's store a few hours away, so I am definitely doing that and hopefully they will still have some PA70G units in stock when I get there. UPS says about $16 to ship the HW350T back to Fry's (and Fry's will take half a month to return my money) but the PA70G still seems like a fantastic deal.
Hope I'm not sensitive to RBE, I've never seen it before. Also, have my little screwdriver set ready in case I need to fix the focus. wink.gif
I think I will be a lot happier with the versatility of over twice the lumens and quieter fan. Even if running the PA70G at maximum economy and it only puts out 380~ lumens it's still brighter than the HW350T and is a lot quieter, since full 300 lumen output on the HW350T would require the "hair dryer" level fan activity as reported.
I'll report back on my experience with the PA70G when I get it set up.

IM glad to hear it man, you know if you call the store and speak to the guys/girls in the video dept they will hold it for you under the counter, and they will check to see if they have in stock before you drive 2 hrs. but I guess you want to look at the store anyways haha. I don't see why they couldn't just accept the returned hw350t at the store, I never tried but it seems logical, good luck man and enjoy
post #649 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 AM

Yes, the company name was Goldstar, and later changed officially to Lucky Goldstar LG, so Life is Good. wink.gif

Regarding the 3D:
it is not impossible to put clone projectors on native 720p@120hz resolution with a PC, but there is font issue and blurry remained.

Also, many times we asked, if anybody can switch a smooth 720p@120hz picture on any clones,
please post and share the timing values for helping community instead a troll comment.

I could achieve easy 720p120hz on my Qumi(with factory EDID) and Acer K330(with PowerStrip), but the picture is bad and forgettable.

Yesterday, I tested the factory 768p@120hz resolution on LG PA70G, and easily put the projector into 3D mode with the remote. The picture was smooth, the remote has all the important buttons to sync, switch 3D and change the left/right side, and thanks for the high lumens, we have more lights than clones or Qumis, which is more important factor in 3D than a forced and blurred 720p resolution.

Also I put easily the LG PA70G to 1080p24hz non interlace mode with a film 1080p 23.9fps, which is a real celluloid cinema experience. smile.gif

I am very satisfied with the LG PA70G, but I was with Qumi and Acer K330 too, smile.gif
Qumi had the best and smoothest picture, Acer K330 has better speaker and more lumens, but finally LG made an entry level home cinema experience.
post #650 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:

These are facts.

Please get your facts straight. Did you even try it your self?

I had no problem getting 720p@120Hz over HDMI on my LG PA70G.. actually it was very easy to do.
Tried it on my HTPC making a custom 1280x720@120Hz resolution in the NVidia control panel and also tested it with my Lumagen Radiance Video Processor outputting an 120hz signal, both worked just fine.. not the blurry image you mentioned.

Yes the 3D option is disabled when you feed the LG 120Hz so you have to use 3rd party hardware like the Optima 3D-XL to enjoy 3D
post #651 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 AM

That is great info, if you can switch a smooth 720p@120hz pictures on LG PA70G.

Please generate a MONITOR.INF file with costume timings, and share this files to the others here, than everybody can switch this resolution easy on any PC.
Thanks.

update: I don't understand why could not switch 3D.
I switched my Qumi and Acer K330 to 720p@120hz, and I can activated the 3D easily from Menu.

My experience was that, the projectors only understand and detect 120hz and not the resolution:
- 1280x720@120hz,
- 1024x768@120hz,
- 800x600@120hz

I could achieve these 3D modes, so finally I doubt about you really achieved 120hz on 720p, because my experience is, when you really achieved 120hz on any resolution, you can put the projectors to 3D mode.
post #652 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM

I just started to test LG PA70G with PowerStrip, but unfortunately all my pc have Windows 8, and there are some issues in driver level at advanced timing on outdated PowerStrip, so I can not access the advanced timing at the moment, but probably anybody can generate a costume monitor.inf file for LG PA70G:

Switch your projector into 720p@120hz with your solution,
run PowerStrip, and generate a costume monitor.inf file for the current resolution.

That's all.
post #653 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:

update: I don't understand why could not switch 3D.
I switched my Qumi and Acer K330 to 720p@120hz, and I can activated the 3D easily from Menu.

Because LG is not Qumi or Acer. If they decide not to support 3D DLP Link at 720p@120 in their firmware then there's not much we can do about it.

And trust me, the 120Hz is the real deal. Both 24Hz and 60Hz video play judder free at my custom set resolution.

5 x 24Hz = 120 Hz --> fluid video (5:5 pulldown)
2 x 60Hz = 120 Hz --> fluid video

And why use Powerstrip? What kind video card are you using?
post #654 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM

I am using Radeon, but it is independent from the problem.
I trust you, but I am not trusting 3dr party solutions, because any 120hz capable graphics card is good for 3D films such Ati, NVidia, S3, Matrox, Intel, etc. with Stereoscopic player in frame sequence mode.

The fact, when the projector receive a real and not a fake 120hz signal in any resolution, than you can activated the 3D in the projector menu. That's the point.

If you can not activated the 3D in the projector menu in one resolution this doesn't means you are restricted by manufacturer, because the 3D is independent from resolutions, it is depending only a real 120hz source only.

A real 120hz source is not equal 60hz-60hz source. When the projector receive a real 120hz from any source from any resolution, then we can activated the 3D in the projector menu, and then the projector is starting to split and arrange 120hz source into 60hz-60hz, but it's itself and not 3rd party solution.

So, please send a real 120hz non interlaced, not splited, not arranged signal to the projector at 1280x720. I should have to revert my PC to Windows 7, so at the moment, I have to pass this test to others, I am waiting a good ati driver for Windows 8, which is good with Powerstrip.

We have to use Powerstrip, because it is a manufacturer independent low level monitor and EDID utility, and we can create an independent windows monitor driver to our projectors, and it is not depending from projector, GPU manufacturers or 3dr party solutions, also we can override the factory timings, and we can switch to any resolutions with any megahertz.
post #655 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 AM

what the heck is "powerstrip"? I keep hearing it:D
post #656 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
... including sophisticated color correction tools, period level adjustments over screen geometry, and driver independent clock controls.
http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
post #657 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I am using Radeon, but it is independent from the problem.
I trust you, but I am not trusting 3dr party solutions, because any 120hz capable graphics card is good for 3D films such Ati, NVidia, S3, Matrox, Intel, etc. with Stereoscopic player in frame sequence mode.
The fact, when the projector receive a real and not a fake 120hz signal in any resolution, than you can activated the 3D in the projector menu. That's the point.
If you can not activated the 3D in the projector menu in one resolution this doesn't means you are restricted by manufacturer, because the 3D is independent from resolutions, it is depending only a real 120hz source only.
A real 120hz source is not equal 60hz-60hz source. When the projector receive a real 120hz from any source from any resolution, then we can activated the 3D in the projector menu, and then the projector is starting to split and arrange 120hz source into 60hz-60hz, but it's itself and not 3rd party solution.
So, please send a real 120hz non interlaced, not splited, not arranged signal to the projector at 1280x720. I should have to revert my PC to Windows 7, so at the moment, I have to pass this test to others, I am waiting a good ati driver for Windows 8, which is good with Powerstrip.
We have to use Powerstrip, because it is a manufacturer independent low level monitor and EDID utility, and we can create an independent windows monitor driver to our projectors, and it is not depending from projector, GPU manufacturers or 3dr party solutions, also we can override the factory timings, and we can switch to any resolutions with any megahertz.

If you're not trusting 3rd party solutions you're out of luck.
Fake 120Hz? What is a fake 120Hz signal? I am sending a "real" 120Hz non interlaced signal to the LG.

And saying that the 3D option should be enabled just because you are sending it 3D? Nonsense. Of course there are restrictions, and 3D independent from resolutions? Again nonsense. If LG decides not to support 3D if the resolution is anything other then the 1024x768@120hz resolution like they specify in their manual then thats how it is.

Maybe they disabled it with other resolutions because they can't guaranty it working for a 100% or maybe for some other reason.. it's their decision.
post #658 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM

No, projectors 3D menu is enabled on many resolutions
-800x600
-1024x768
-1280x720
-1280x800
when a real non interlaced 120hz signal received.

This is how it works, I tested with Powerstrip on Qumi and Acer clone. This is fact.

Your option is about LG restriction it's a simple speculation without any fact. But I hope you are right and I am wrong, that's why we ask you, please generate and post us the monitor.inf file for testing purpose, and everybody will be happy, because in the reality, if there is no 3D menu there is no real 120hz signal.
post #659 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I'll report back on my experience with the PA70G when I get it set up.[/quo

It is the great projector for that price! I dont know why people complain about small details. There is NO better led projector for this price on the market! I have the smaller PB60g and it is doing well. Dont worry about RBE. Actually i dont know why people complain about RBE. I cant see any RBE ( my advise dont get too high before watching a movie so there will be no RBE) smile.gif and Pb60g should be the same like pa70g just it is 500 lumens. If you get one, which has good focus, you will be happy im for sure! wink.gif
post #660 of 2334 Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

This is how it works, I tested with Powerstrip on Qumi and Acer clone. This is fact.

Thats nice, I believe you... but this is a LG. This is a fact.

Quote:

Your option is about LG restriction it's a simple speculation without any fact.

No speculation.. you are not able to activate 3D when feeding the LG a 1280x720@120Hz signal. This is a fact.

Quote:

if there is no 3D menu there is no real 120hz signal.

Yeah sounds very logical. confused.gif

Sorry but I can't help you with a monitor info file from Powerstrip. It's a nice piece software but I also know that it can really mess up your display settings. My HTPC is perfectly working at the moment so I'm not taking a risk installing Powerstip on it.

I made 2 screenshot for you, hopefully they will help you.
The first image shows the NVidia custom resolution panel and the second image shows my Radiance Video Processor info panel when I route the video signal from my HTPC through the video processor to the LG.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Samsung 700 Lumens Xga Dlp Projector Sph710ae
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page