LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens. - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fry's website states that it does come with an rgb to component cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Does anybody know if there is an RGB component cable that comes with it? If not can you buy one that goes into the VGA port like some of the other projectors have in case you have a non HDMI RGB source ?

Thanks.

Bohanna

No, it does not come with RGB component cable. It comes with yellow,white,red composite cable (standard def). Also comes with vga cable. It doesn't come with hdmi cable.

under optional extras , it lists the component cable, and RGB to component cable. Maybe download the users manual to see what it comes with and read up on stuff before the PJ arrives.
post #1713 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

obscuro
I have been here , in this room the last 3 months or so, and nobody has been talking about getting sick watching on the pa70g. Now you sounded the alarm in the summer time, and I believe you experienced getting sick. But you sounding the NOTE again, will most likely make other people experience the "sickness" , if they are gullible.

Now, 3D viewing does bother a higher percentage of population, on any device, hdtv, movie theaters, or home theater. We don't disagree on that.

Also, I have not tried the pa70g on screens bigger than 80-100 inches, and I don't get the "sickness". smile.gif

I'm not saying you should buy a NEW post nov 2012 pa70g model or not, but, maybe a focused model would work for you, maybe not. Others have agreed with you about the earlier dated models, some were good and some were not so good.

You are getting the itch, to jump in again, and maybe you should, or wait for next crop of LED PJ's. If you get a good focused pa70g, it is good experience. biggrin.gif

Please "note" that my post was in REPLY to another member (flyingsherpa) recently asking about his experiences. I may be gullible and if you have evidence to that effect please present it. But I was NOT the only person NOR the first to describe vision problems with the PA70G. Should you take time to review this thread you will find that to be the case.
post #1714 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask1979 View Post

I have the same issue and its because of the soft picture / crappy not fully focusing lens. Maybe you have no comparison to other projectors that can focus to a really sharp picture.
Its definetly eyestraining cause of the cripled lens that doesnt fit to the focal lenght of the light path or anything like this. When i disassembled my lens i found it is not possible to put it infront of the lightpath in any way so that the focus is uniform. Either the units people are talking about (dezember+ builds) have a different lenspacket or its not true but with the lens packet i got (also seen in this thread on some pics) you will never get a proper focused picture and the eyestrain results cause of your brain is heavily working to compensate for the soft / not uniform focus which is very fatigueing with time.

My unit is a November build as i already mentioned and i bought it in December. I contradict that there are units with proper focus or they would be not the same model (PA70G). Proof me by showing it has a different lens packet or its hard to believe not to say unbelievable. I heavily doubt LG fixed the focus issue nor that there are better and worse focused units but very different OPINIONS on what is soft / uniform / half focused or not focused at all.

I don't believe we have the same root cause as my unit is very sharp. If I get close to the screen I can easily see sharply defined pixels over the whole area (all uniform left,right, top, bottom). Looks just as sharp to me as my Optoma H27 in this regard. FYI, I have a small wall so can only project to about 70" max... I think I'm currently at 64" and it suits me just fine day and night (close the curtains during the day) in my small apartment. It is my only display device so I use it like a tv (just like I did with the Optoma).

I googled this issue a little ("LED projector" eye strain) a few weeks ago and found a few references to some study that showed rats' eyes were damaged by periods of exposure to blue LED light, and there was some speculation that this could apply to people and LED PJs. Can't find a link right now though...
post #1715 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post

Please "note" that my post was in REPLY to another member (flyingsherpa) recently asking about his experiences. I may be gullible and if you have evidence to that effect please present it. But I was NOT the only person NOR the first to describe vision problems with the PA70G. Should you take time to review this thread you will find that to be the case.

Obscuro
You claimed the pa70g made you sick, flingsherpa was concerned about eye strain. 2 different symptoms I would think.
Now 3D gave me eye strain on the pa70g and 3D gives me headache on any device, and on 2D stuff ... my 42 inch hdtv LCD gives me eye strain, my pro8200 gives me eye strain, any lightened picture gives me eye strain , a little bit, but it doesn't make me sick. You stated the pa70g made you sick. So I was referring to that comment.
My IPAD gives me eye strain, my itouch gives me eye strain. But just a little bit, I'm an older person, and I rest my eyes when they get tired. But you went a little further and saying it made you "sick", that was what I was referring to. And I was joking about it a little, with the gullible comment, I hope we don't have an epidemic of people now getting sick from the pa70g. It was a joke, yeah, a bad joke, but a joke.

It usually starts with one person, and the disease spreads. smile.gif

Sorry, if I offended you, but, really the last 3 or 4 months, people haven't been complaining about getting sick from watching the pa70g. Last summer you and someone else you talked about getting sick. And since you were not around for a number of months, and just posted, and then flingsherpa posted a few posts after your first post a day or so ago, figured, " I guess we will be getting another round of "illness". (again, it just strikes me as a little funny, hence I joke around).
post #1716 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 14
Rgtaa,
The difference between “us” older persons is that I have not posted because I have been patiently reading and collecting information. My “claim” is based on my observation. Eyestrain caused the “sickness”. Nausea was the symptom. I tried to describe the situation as best as I could in hopes that someone in the same situation would post. Had (flyingsherpa) not posted his observations and “asked” for a reply I would not have replied.

I am offended because you imply that there is no problem and try to minimize my experiences. The absence of posting does not indicate that there is no problem. I encountered one situation where apparently conditions were right for severe eyestrain-severe enough to make me instantly nauseous (SICK). It was eyestrain that caused me to do any investigation. I realize that I am sensitive to RBE but I have four LG projectors (HW300T) and what I experienced on the PA70G was unexpected. If the picture weren’t so compelling I would simply have moved on.

When I read flyingsherpa’s observation I felt that I had to reply. He owned a DLP projector and described unusual eyestrain on his PA70G.

Fry’s charges a fifteen percent re-stocking fee. I believe that a prospective buyer should be aware that “SOME OWNERS” have experienced ATYPICAL eyestrain even if they get a perfectly focused projector.
post #1717 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rgtaa,
The difference between “us” older persons is that I have not posted because I have been patiently reading and collecting information. My “claim” is based on my observation. Eyestrain caused the “sickness”. Nausea was the symptom. I tried to describe the situation as best as I could in hopes that someone in the same situation would post. Had (flyingsherpa) not posted his observations and “asked” for a reply I would not have replied.

I am offended because you imply that there is no problem and try to minimize my experiences. The absence of posting does not indicate that there is no problem. I encountered one situation where apparently conditions were right for severe eyestrain-severe enough to make me instantly nauseous (SICK). It was eyestrain that caused me to do any investigation. I realize that I am sensitive to RBE but I have four LG projectors (HW300T) and what I experienced on the PA70G was unexpected. If the picture weren’t so compelling I would simply have moved on.

When I read flyingsherpa’s observation I felt that I had to reply. He owned a DLP projector and described unusual eyestrain on his PA70G.

Fry’s charges a fifteen percent re-stocking fee. I believe that a prospective buyer should be aware that “SOME OWNERS” have experienced ATYPICAL eyestrain even if they get a perfectly focused projector.

Obscuro
We are friends, in the past, if you look at the interaction between us, it has always been good.

A few posts after your post, then flyingsherpa posted, your second post was to him. OK?

Now, I believe you when you say, the pa70g made you sick, so you have been waiting patiently waiting for more people to complain, and they have NOT been, you posted, then 4 posts after your post flinghserpa posted.

I agree, we all have different reactions to the same event/PJ/hdtv. You are describing your experience, and it was your experience a number of months ago, that made me cancel buying the pa70g! I cancelled it because of what YOU WROTE. Later I saw redneck geeks 41 min review and saw that his PJ didn't look like a "sickness gadget", and bought it. And I have been very happy with it. So, understand where I'm coming from, I do understand where you are coming from. And we are both right. Eye strain could also come from the picture being too bright, and someone has to turn it down some. On my hdtv and other equipment, it helps if I turn down the brightness. Also, you said you didn't get the sickness at 80 inch screen. Most are using around 80-100 inch screen sizes, and the pa70g is geared towards 80 inch screens.

I think you are saying there is something else that is causing the problem for you with the PA70G, it might be the scrobe cycle, or something else, but whatever it is, you are sensitive to it. I don't disagree that you are sensitive to it. But it is not the NORM. And eye strain for me I get from a number of my devices, and I try to take care of my eyes. Maybe if you turned down the brightness on the pa70g to where the 300 is, you wouldn't have a problem. I don't know.

Sorry for the joking around a little, I get like that from time to time, it's not personal. I was like that as a kid, clowning around and getting into trouble. It's my way. It's not evil -humor, just kid type stuff. biggrin.gif
post #1718 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Your assumption is mistaken as there is a sample to sample variance regarding the focal ability, I have owned three different units and all three were different (with the last unit surpassing the previous two by a decent margin).

I have posted a 'pixel' screen shot in this thread previously.

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/129653/

Jason

- - - - -

I dont see where im mistaken. I checked my screen and compared it to your pic and it looks nearly identical. I can also see these diamond pixel maybe even better as you or its because of your cam qualy that adds even more blurry. But your pic is the proof for not being a sharp screen. Maybe im only used to LED LCDs with quarter and not diamond pixels and their superior sharpness but i have one of the as people say in this thread "awesome one" but its still not sharp when i compare it to either the AcerK330 which has the same Chip or my old Samsung SP-F10M.

Maybe there are even worse units out there where you cannot even see those diamondparts but thats not the case for mine. I wouldnt trade mine for a later or earlier build cause i got one of the better ones where you can at least read text and see the diamonds over the whole screen. But its still far from being focused. Another downside is the heavy convergence of the combination of this lens/mirror/chip setup. Its all too small maybe for better calibration purposes but thats the reason for the unavailability of setting the color to a correct D65 calibration. The convergence persists mainly of green and margenta color and isnt correctable by configuration.

On my old Samsung there was no convergence at all... I want back my Samsung LED Beamer mad.gif
post #1719 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

There are PA70G's out there with sharp focus (down to seeing each individual diamond pixel and even the pivot dimple) as I have one (November 2012 build).

The July 2012 build that I had was very uniform as well but dull and simply would never get sharp (even after taking it apart and fixing the focus wheel for more lens travel).

The July 2012 build was not even close to the performance of the unit that I have now as all aspects of the image suffered due to the poor focal ability.

So once again I will say that if your heart is set on the PA70G be prepared to exchange until you get a solid unit because once you do you are likely to be very happy with it (at around $500 or less).

Best of luck to those of you getting them now due to the current Fry's deal. wink.gif

Jason

I realize that now, the previous 2 PA70's I bought both were Nov. 2012 and one had decent focus but limited projection range, the other was a mess, wobbly focus ring with uneven focus, you're lucky you got a good unit, base on comments here and other sites, 1 or 2 out 10 projectors are OK, so most people having to pay re-stocking fees if they return their units, it's a real shame
post #1720 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dont see where im mistaken. I checked my screen and compared it to your pic and it looks nearly identical. I can also see these diamond pixel maybe even better as you or its because of your cam qualy that adds even more blurry. But your pic is the proof for not being a sharp screen. Maybe im only used to LED LCDs with quarter and not diamond pixels and their superior sharpness but i have one of the as people say in this thread "awesome one" but its still not sharp when i compare it to either the AcerK330 which has the same Chip or my old Samsung SP-F10M.

Maybe there are even worse units out there where you cannot even see those diamondparts but thats not the case for mine. I wouldnt trade mine for a later or earlier build cause i got one of the better ones where you can at least read text and see the diamonds over the whole screen. But its still far from being focused. Another downside is the heavy convergence of the combination of this lens/mirror/chip setup. Its all too small maybe for better calibration purposes but thats the reason for the unavailability of setting the color to a correct D65 calibration. The convergence persists mainly of green and margenta color and isnt correctable by configuration.

On my old Samsung there was no convergence at all... I want back my Samsung LED Beamer mad.gif

You saw DaGamePimp's videos on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70kvo1fjY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWhYQNV0mw4
Or Redneck Geeks 41 min video on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIWJ1EVwZg
Your picture looks a lot worse than those videos?

From 9 feet back , when you watch a movie does it look good? Or when you play a game? Or if you surf the web? If it looks like crap, too bad you couldn't have just returned the unit the first couple of days. Did they have good return policy?

DaGamePimp's video looked impressive to me, and I liked his lighting behind the screen. My unit looks like that, and I liked Rednecks review, I knew what I was getting, and I'm not disappointed.
You had the samsung but it was 9 pounds, 4:3 format, and not sexy like the pa70g! smile.gif
Without saying anything to a friend, show him/her a movie or video game and see what they think. I'm sure to them, it will look in focus and seem cool. It's only when we take out the super critical mind that we can see the flaws. But everybody I show the pa70g to, thinks it's cool and cute. And when I tell them the price on sale, they say," wow, my 42 inch hdtv was more than that, and you mean I could have 100 inch screen size for that price". I thought it would be a lot more money.
post #1721 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM

So what cable do I need to connect my Wii to this?
post #1722 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightchannel View Post

To keep it simple. the one that came with the wii! and use the adapter in the pa70g box. smile.gif

Now, if you want to go to the next step, you will need to get the adapter for RGB to vga I believe, unless there is a hdmi version out. I don't know , but under optional accessories in the pa70g manual, it lists that adapter, maybe check mono price or one of the other guys know. It would be cool if there is a hdmi that also does sound, if not I guess to the vga and audio in for RGB.
I think there are wireless sensor for the wii too, I don't have it, but that could be cool to use with the PJ. I do have the wii, but mostly I'm using the hdmi in my 360 for gaming.
post #1723 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Ah that explains some of it, maybe you are used to seeing the pixel fill differences of different tech and implying that as focal sharpness(?).

LCD has screen door due to poor pixel fill, the gap, if you will, between pixels and often times people mistake this for being sharper since the pixels are more defined.

My pic does not capture just how sharp it is in person as it was difficult to get accurately with the camera that close, I am not using a DSLR camera.

I have also posted a pic of CA (what you are calling 'convergence') and at least on my unit it is minimal even at 100 inches with contrast maxed out and cannot be seen at proper view distance.

The PA70G can be calibrated pretty darn close other than an uncorrectable green (which LG is boosting to obtain more lumen's), I have done so on two different units and could hit D65 white point on both units while being almost dead on 6504K. However when I stated 'properly set-up' I am meaning the basics... contrast, brightness, color and especially sharpness.

Obviously the PA70G does not use expensive optics, it's an inexpensive plastic lens and as such it does not have the focal ability of a good glass lens (hopefully, by now, this is known and understood by anyone reading this thread). I have seen projectors costing much more with more CA and less uniform focus than my current PA70G.

The bottom line here is that your comment that this unit is a "waste of money" based upon your experience with a single unit is simply not the case for many happy owners that got lucky with solid units. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

I realize that now, the previous 2 PA70's I bought both were Nov. 2012 and one had decent focus but limited projection range, the other was a mess, wobbly focus ring with uneven focus, you're lucky you got a good unit, base on comments here and other sites, 1 or 2 out 10 projectors are OK, so most people having to pay re-stocking fees if they return their units, it's a real shame

Yeah it's really unfortunate that the QC on these is not better. frown.gif

Quote:

They make a Wii to HDMI adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008N4199&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Mac+Accessories-_-9SIA0U008N4199

Jason

- - - - - -

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1724 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

DaGamePimp!
Excellent commentary on the LCD to LED/DLP situation pixel fill thingie. smile.gif

To piggyback on your great find on the wii adapter, I am posting link to amazon site that has over a 100 reviews on it, and is cheaper. Newegg had no reviews and was higher priced.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B007PY3ZPG/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Seems like high price, maybe ebay has it cheaper, for 10 bucks , I'd get it, and you do need it for pa70g if you don't want to use composite (red/white/yellow).

Maybe someone can point us to ebay seller who seems legit at good price.
post #1725 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Same here, if I had the money to spend I would buy the internals of the LGPA70G and some how adapt it to a old bulb projector case and lens.

There are after market lens that can be bought to use and adapt it to a projector.

In the end, it's a matter of cost verses practicality and value.
post #1726 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Mine has a build of June 2012, so I guess I got lucky.
post #1727 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM

I ordered this from Fry's and now it says it's back ordered? Did they run out or something? Should I cancel my order or what?
post #1728 of 2334 Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM

It still says it's in stock on their website, why would they do this to me?
post #1729 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 AM

@rgtaa I checked those vids and yes my pic looks the same but you cant really tell from videos anyway. There are too many factors that are different when viewing live.
My wife likes the actual TV and Movie pic of the beamer but she is far away from being picky or videophile in any way. Of course people without comparisons may like it but i dont and for that much money (more than 2 times more than you have to pay in USA) i expect at least less CA and proper focus ability just like other brands can do.

@DaGamePimp Of course at 9 feet away i dont see CA other than in distorted edges of specially white letters which is not seeable in videos/pics i can make in proper viewing distance. And im saying its the CA`s fault for being way off in color not the green boost.
Quote:

Ah that explains some of it, maybe you are used to seeing the pixel fill differences of different tech and implying that as focal sharpness(?).

No its not caused by different techs since ive seen the Acer K330 in action and it is perfectly sharp and focused unlike the PA70G. And again i got a so called "Awesome one" i even maxed out in sharpness by configuring these 2 screws inside the housing as stated in this thread before.

In my unit it has no plastic lens its all solid glass when i disassembled it. If it would be plastic i had returned it the other day. I had to pay around 1000 $ for it in my country and would have to wait 10-14 days for repairs that maybe not gonna happen until i would receive it back so i wont go this useless way. If i would have to pay 399 or 499 $ for it meh i would just stop complaining and sell it for 200-300$ and buy an Acer or something other with proper focus and less CA but the taxes in my country are horrible so i stick to this PA70G and wait for better times.

In conclusion i said i will avoid LG in the future cause of this experience. This is my subjective opinion maybe you like this product cause of the low price you had to pay but that isnt the case for me.
A company with that low QA and bad support is not worth spending so much money for products they sell as a bargain in cheaper countrys with extreme low taxes but in other countrys for the max price and as declared high quality product of proper functionality.

Samsung, Epson, Acer, Panasonic and Philips are now the only trustworthy companys i will consider in future projector buying. If LG would sell cheap it may be an option for some situations but given the low quality its definetly nothing for at home.
post #1730 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

thomask1979
I got to ask you a question. You didn't know about this forum room before you bought the pa70g, right? If you did, you would know what you would be buying so your expectations would be different.

Look at the acer k330 room and threads on it and on other models, you will see some people complain about all these models. And others like the model. Same as in this room. I know you think you would like the acer k330 if you did buy it, but you don't really know that, because if you did, you would be reading all the problems in that forum room and seeing if you had that problem too. smile.gif

If the movie/game/tv show looks good from normal viewing distance, calibrate with having a hdtv next to it, and adjust the pa70g until it looks better than your hdtv. I did that, since I didn't have calibration equipment, and that sold me on how good the pa70g is. the pa70g looked better than the hdtv, and I was shocked. Before I put the pa70g and hdtv next to each other, I thought the pa70g didn't look that good. After I did that, I had no more concerns about the pa70g. Also, the expert mode and doing the wizard mode helped.

Unless you sell it, you are gonna have if for a while, so you might want to make the best of the situation, or every time you view something on the LG, it could cause you emotional suffering.
post #1731 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Same here, if I had the money to spend I would buy the internals of the LGPA70G and some how adapt it to a old bulb projector case and lens.

There are after market lens that can be bought to use and adapt it to a projector.

In the end, it's a matter of cost verses practicality and value.

Nice in theory. But a waste of time and money. I am hoping that i get a good build model when it arrives. The LG website says its set for 16:10 ration screen size and I seem to remember this was an issue mentioned a while back. Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed with the latest firmware?

Bohanna
post #1732 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

thomask1979,

I too have seen the K330 (many times) as well as many other LED based models and while I do agree that the K330, Q5, LG 300/350 are slightly sharper than a solid PA70G (like my own) they simply do not compete with its over-all image.

Now I certainly understand your frustration in paying what you paid and having higher expectations but it has been confirmed that the PA70G uses a plastic lens and as far as I am aware these are all built in the same plant (obviously it looks like real clear and polished glass or we would have an unwatchable image).

I have owned over a dozen front projectors of all the various tech, one of which used a very high end konica-minolta lens system that was worth over $3,000 for the lens alone and I think I know what a truly sharp image looks like, so implying that the rest of us are in an ignorance is bliss situation is very misguided.

Many here have more than one projector (as I do) and are not here posting false information about the product, rest assured that had it not impressed this long time videophile (and sharpness freak) for under $500 I would have returned it the very next day. However I am not making excuses for it because even at the $399 that I paid it still would have been returned had it not delivered a respectable image.

With that said had I paid full msrp (as it sounds you did) I can honestly say that I would not have kept it as there are other lamp based units that best it in that price range here in the USA (but it would not have been based only upon the focal issue since I have seen over 100 different projectors and have honestly seen worse focal uniformity and CA for even more money).

I would be very interested in seeing some pictures of your awesome focused unit because if that is indeed the case you likely have far higher expectations for these inexpensive LED projectors than you probably should have.

I can tell you that while you may be happier with the focal ability of a K330 the image simply cannot compete with a solid PA70G and I think several others have stated as much through this thread when doing direct comparisons.

Obviously we all have varied opinions and a right to those opinions but coming into the thread and stating this model to be a "waste of money" is just poor judgment. I could go into the K330 thread and say the same since it cannot match the PA70g on over-all image quality but what would be the point of doing so as it simply would not be true (calling it a waste of money).

Please do not take any of this personal, we are simply having a difference of opinion and likely have units that if directly compared would look different. wink.gif

Regards,
Jason

post #1733 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Nice in theory. But a waste of time and money. I am hoping that i get a good build model when it arrives. The LG website says its set for 16:10 ration screen size and I seem to remember this was an issue mentioned a while back. Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed with the latest firmware?

Bohanna

There is no firmware that can fix the native resolution of the panel (which is close to 16:10).

If you want to use the best 16:9 aspect you send it 1280x720p. If you test the unit with native 1080p test patterns (which I have done) it's scaling produces a less quality image versus sending 1280x720p. If you have a decent blu ray player it is likely to have better scaling (1080p -> 720p).

If using a game console set it to 720p, if using a PC and you want 16:9 again use 1280x720p (although if you want to see it at its sharpest you can send it 1280x800p and it almost appears mapped 1:1.

Best of luck on getting a solid unit !!!

Jason

post #1734 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no firmware that can fix the native resolution of the panel (which is close to 16:10).

If you want to use the best 16:9 aspect you send it 1280x720p. If you test the unit with native 1080p test patterns (which I have done) it's scaling produces a less quality image versus sending 1280x720p. If you have a decent blu ray player it is likely to have better scaling (1080p -> 720p).

If using a game console set it to 720p, if using a PC and you want 16:9 again use 1280x720p (although if you want to see it at its sharpest you can send it 1280x800p and it almost appears mapped 1:1.

Best of luck on getting a solid unit !!!

Jason

Thanks I plan on hooking it up to a PHD-205LE for spontaneous on the go watching through the HDMI port or directly to my Home theatre computer setup using a MyHD 130 tuner card that produces a stunning picture thru the VGA port. I am a bit concerned that there is no zoom feature because of the placement issue but at this price it will be a nice toy to fool around with. I figure I can put it all in one computer case and set it up anywhere in a few minutes. Does anyone know if Monoprice sells an inexpensive RGB component cable for RGB sources ? If so what is the part number?

Tanx

Bohanna
post #1735 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Rgtaa,

Wow... I've had this sickness and nausea sounds correct. I have the pb61u. However, same led technology. Any that can chime in please do.
post #1736 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/VPASSION View Post

Wow... I've had this sickness and nausea sounds correct. I have the pb61u. However, same led technology. Any that can chime in please do.

Some links to check out on eyestrain /headaches/nausea, it can come from many causes, it could also mean you might have a more serious condition that needs to be checked by a doctor. Meaning if watching a hdtv, or PJ, causes this condition, it could be sign you need to see a doctor to make sure nothing is wrong with you.
Some links are medical illnesses that can produce that symptom or sign you have that illness.

http://ergonomics.about.com/od/eyestrain/a/eye_strain_symp.htm
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/eyestrain/a/eye_strain_caus.htm

http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/multiple-symptoms?symptoms=dizziness|fatigue|headache|nausea-or-vomiting&symptomids=81|98|115|156&locations=66|66|2|20

3d tv's can cause headaches nausea stuff:
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/3d-tvs-can-cause-headaches-nausea_100474638.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1338913/3D-glasses-make-sick-New-study-shows-latest-range-TVs-cause-nausea.html
A/VPASSION likes this.
post #1737 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM

You should try taking DHA supplements or eat more foods with omega-3 fats in them, they really your eyes. My vision improved by half a point after I started eating the right fats.
A/VPASSION likes this.
post #1738 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should try taking DHA supplements or eat more foods with omega-3 fats in them, they really your eyes. My vision improved by half a point after I started eating the right fats.

I have been taking DHEA for the last 14 years. It keeps my hair from going grey and keeps other parts working as well even though I don't get to use them like I used to mad.gif

One thing that was NOT in the cards for humans is the written word and all the eye strain that goes along with the computer generation. We are also more reliant on our eyes than ever since most of us have hearing and inner ear issues that put more a of a strain on our eyes for spatial balance. mad.gif

Bohanna
A/VPASSION likes this.
post #1739 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, this is sort of my way of thinking, there are supplements and things we can do to take care of our eyes.

I just don't think it has to do with this PJ, per say , but anything with screen, hdtv, ipad, itouch, etc.

And with the other person , he had a 300 lumen PJ and moved up to 700 lumen PJ, double the lumens, if he turned it down in brightness to same as his 300 lumen, that could be test. Bright screens put more strain on my eyes.
The advantage of 700 lumens is you can move it to eco mode and doesn't put stress on components in PJ, also, for bigger screen sizes you can adjust brightness for screen and room lighting conditions. Whereas on 300 lumen PJ, you are more limited.

p.s. It could also mean he had an unfocused model, and I know that that could screw with my eyes. Having a focused unit is nicer on my eyes.
post #1740 of 2334 Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Your right, just buying parts from Ebay would be or could be a futile effort when the money could have been wizely spent in getting even a better projector than even the LGPA70G.
However if someone stumbles upon some old used parts either on Ebay or has a family member who is trowing out their old bulb based DLP projector that would be a experiment worth trying.
The problem with the LGPA70G projector is that it's in the beginning of it's product life.
Now in a few years we will see them on Ebay next to nothing and could pick up one on the cheap.
I have a old Infocus X2 here with only 200 hours on the projector so it's looks like it's still new eventhough I bought it almost 10 years ago.
Now in a few years or in a few months someone sells a old PA70G because either they bought a new one or don't care about it like a old car, now that would be a worthy unit at least to try and experiment with that and someone come across a old projector with a good quality lens.
Now you will get some people who will say why even bother ?
So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place at this time.
Either we live with what we have with this projector ?
Or we hold off until the price of the 1080P LED projector with a better lens comes on the market with real world prices or we go back to a old bulb based projector and live with the fact that we would have to buy a new bulb in about a 1 or 2.

Hey projector companies ?
Either produce what the consumer wants or the flat panel companies will take your market share.
Yes the price of large panel TVs are coming down in price where people will start to stop looking at projectors and look at flat panels.
Yes I can live with a 60 inch TV and I can get one now from under $ 1,000.
I know in about 6 months to a year the 70 inch panel TVs will be around $ 1,500 to $ 1,800.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , Samsung 700 Lumens Xga Dlp Projector Sph710ae
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page