LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens. - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2281 of 2337 Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, you've got a set amount of ft-L of brightness per area at a given total projected area. So if you're projecting say a 120" 16:10 area with 12 ft-L with the lamp in low, then you only have a 100" 16:9 screen, then yea, you've still got 12 ft-L of brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2337 Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Yes, you've got a set amount of ft-L of brightness per area at a given total projected area. So if you're projecting say a 120" 16:10 area with 12 ft-L with the lamp in low, then you only have a 100" 16:9 screen, then yea, you've still got 12 ft-L of brightness.

Hi RPS13,

Not sure I got it all.

I will put the projector at 2.7 meters from the screen and will get around 90 inches diagonal.

If I use "video zoom" option from XBMC to reduce picture to 70 inches diagonal, will the brightness remain the same ?

thanks a lot.
post #2283 of 2337 Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezer001 View Post

If I use "video zoom" option from XBMC to reduce picture to 70 inches diagonal, will the brightness remain the same ?

Yes, the brightness will remain the same if you zoom from within XBMC.
post #2284 of 2337 Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi RPS13,

Not sure I got it all.

I will put the projector at 2.7 meters from the screen and will get around 90 inches diagonal.

thanks a lot.

Brightness is the same in the image at 2.7 m projected distance whether you watch it at 90" diag, or digitally zoom it to 70" diag... or 20" diag etc.
post #2285 of 2337 Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Brightness is the same in the image at 2.7 m projected distance whether you watch it at 90" diag, or digitally zoom it to 70" diag... or 20" diag etc.

Got it wink.gif

Thanks
post #2286 of 2337 Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 PM

For distance between projector and screen for optimum screen size, use projector central website
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-PA70G-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I have PA75U, this is my 1st experience with projector. Before I thought, brightness is the most deciding factor for a projector. After installing it, I realised picture quality (sharpness, gamma and focus) is equally important. Also projectors from LG have a tradition of focus issues and mine has rainbow effects too.

The distance between projector and screen is 14feet with energy saving set to 'medium'. Screen is 10x8feet. But that's all we can expect from a entry level projector. But the quality could have been improved.
post #2287 of 2337 Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india View Post

For distance between projector and screen for optimum screen size, use projector central website
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-PA70G-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I have PA75U, this is my 1st experience with projector. Before I thought, brightness is the most deciding factor for a projector. After installing it, I realised picture quality (sharpness, gamma and focus) is equally important. Also projectors from LG have a tradition of focus issues and mine has rainbow effects too.

The distance between projector and screen is 14feet with energy saving set to 'medium'. Screen is 10x8feet. But that's all we can expect from a entry level projector. But the quality could have been improved.

Hi dude,

This is because of all the technical characteristics (sharpness, focus, gamma ...) you mentionned that I'll stick to a viewing ratio of 2 times the screen width (around 5 feet screen width to be viewed from 10 feet). It is only hd ready after all.

As the projector ratio do not fit my need, I'll have to zoom out (reduce) pictures from around 20 % with XBMC in order no to lose quality (hope so ! )

Anyway, I'm still looking at the other contenders (qumi, lg pb60g), wanna be sure to make the best choice.
post #2288 of 2337 Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Did you checked Acer K330?
post #2289 of 2337 Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Did you checked Acer K330?

Yep but seems it's not the best one speaking about colours accuracy.
post #2290 of 2337 Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi dude,

This is because of all the technical characteristics (sharpness, focus, gamma ...) you mentionned that I'll stick to a viewing ratio of 2 times the screen width (around 5 feet screen width to be viewed from 10 feet). It is only hd ready after all.

As the projector ratio do not fit my need, I'll have to zoom out (reduce) pictures from around 20 % with XBMC in order no to lose quality (hope so ! )

Anyway, I'm still looking at the other contenders (qumi, lg pb60g), wanna be sure to make the best choice.

I would strongly suggest not giving up that much screen brightness and resolution hit to do what you propose. If you can't mount the projector in a place that gives an image that works for your setup, I'd consider another one. The PA70G does not have excess brightness in medium lamp mode, and it's even pretty loud there. It's borderline unusable in minimum energy saving mode IMO. So if you've got a situation where you can run it in a lower brightness mode - definitely make the effort to do so.

IMO, the lack of zoom on these LED projectors really kills them. I spent many many hours getting my PA70G up and going in my theater room, and was absolutely AMAZED at how easy it was to install my Mitsubishi HC7900DW with a generous zoom and lens shift. It was really a "make sure it's centered, throw it up there, then adjust some dials and boom, perfect image size that's perfectly placed on the screen."
post #2291 of 2337 Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
After having my PA70G for almost a year, I have to say, it has really transformed my perspective on projectors, this coming from having a Sanyo PLV-Z2 for 12 years. I'll never go back to a bulb projector again!

When I originally got the Z2, it was quite exciting to have such a large screen movie experience at home, coupled with my first DVD player also around that time. However, going through four different house moves, it was also quite a hassle with getting everything set up just right, from the projector and screen to the AV and speaker equipment. Coupled with the bulb warm up and cool down time, it really became something I only turned on a few times a year for a special treat, esp with a toddler in the house limiting my TV time to select intervals. My wife's WAF also diminished significantly after a remodel.

Fast forward to today. My entire setup is compact and can be stored away, and consists of two items: the PA70G with a Chromecast pluggd in and self-powered via the USB and a quick-foldup tripod, pre-adjusted to the right height. I can be set up on watching videos in one minute:
Step 1: Pull out tripod, fold out (5 sec)
Step 2: Pull out PA70G, snap onto tripod using quick-release mount (5 sec)
Step 3: Plug in projector AC cord, power on (10 sec, takes a few sec after plugging in for power button to respond)
Step 4: After quick warmup, slight alignment of tripod to center splash image on white wall (20 sec)
Step 5: Grab any nearby smartphone or tablet and start casting Netflix or Youtube (20 sec)

I can pull out the setup at any time my toddler points at the white wall and shouts "BIG teletubbies!". After that even my 2-year old can be selecting Youtube videos using an iPad to her heart's content. When she suddenly gets bored and walks away, I can tear the whole thing down and store away in less than a minute as well.

Sure, I'm not watching the Tivo or cable TV or Blu-ray's, nor anything in surround sound, but I'm able to use the projector a lot more frequently and for short attention span viewing. Also with new apps coming online for Chromecast, I know I can actually use Plex to stream movies stored on a media server, or cast my Tivo live from my Slingbox, should I want to get those things set up.

owizard likes this.
post #2292 of 2337 Old 02-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Hi wwu123,

Sanyo z2 and lg pa70g are different technology but same in brightness (almost) and resolution so how would you compare them in pure picture quality ?
post #2293 of 2337 Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
I've never watched them side-by-side or even on the same day, but my general impression is that the PA70G, like probably most projectors in the last 10 years, has much improved contrast ratio compared to the Z2, which probably gives me the perception of greater depth and realism. Also the Z2 has a more noticeable screen door effect, width of the black lines between pixels, even though they're the same approx. resolution - not a big deal at seated viewing distance, but with the toddler sometimes I'm walking around the room, and the Z2 breaks the illusion of reality more quickly as I get close to the screen. Finally, not a fair comparison, but the PA70G looks brighter, and probably is as my Z2 bulb is going on 10 years old (not a huge amount of lamp hours, but still the bulb will dim while LED's won't).
post #2294 of 2337 Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post

I've never watched them side-by-side or even on the same day, but my general impression is that the PA70G, like probably most projectors in the last 10 years, has much improved contrast ratio compared to the Z2, which probably gives me the perception of greater depth and realism. Also the Z2 has a more noticeable screen door effect, width of the black lines between pixels, even though they're the same approx. resolution - not a big deal at seated viewing distance, but with the toddler sometimes I'm walking around the room, and the Z2 breaks the illusion of reality more quickly as I get close to the screen. Finally, not a fair comparison, but the PA70G looks brighter, and probably is as my Z2 bulb is going on 10 years old (not a huge amount of lamp hours, but still the bulb will dim while LED's won't).

Thanks a lot and great to hear that today we can get something equivalent or even better for the quarter of the price smile.gif
post #2295 of 2337 Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 AM

hi, I read all the thread and I'm going crazy, I'm going to buy this projector today and I downloaded the file from tataniko to make the projector work at 1280x720@120 for 3D. can you tell me if it will work with my graphic card which have only DVI out? if I use DVi->VGA will it work? or I can only do 1024? I have a gti560TI nvidia. please help me^^. thanks
post #2296 of 2337 Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
you should have no problem with that graphics card. also you shouldn't have to down load anything, you should be able to set a custom resolution in the graphic cards settings that's what I did for 3d on mine and my GeForce is not as powerful as yours I think I have like a 310 or 400 something. I have only done 3d on mine once it's ok ,but I'm not really into 3d, just make sure you room is pretty dark for it to work ,also search my post for more info I think I posted a step by step on how I did mine, it should be in this thread, just search for it. good luck.
post #2297 of 2337 Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM

The picture on the screen is slightly pointing to the right. How can I adjust the picture settings so that I can trim the video (HDMI input source) so that it is with in the screen. I need to cut the right side to 3-4inches. Nothing possible from the wall mount other than reducing the distance between lens and screen, but this will reduce the size of the image heavily. I would like to know how to adjust picture where I want to adjust the horizontal position. Slightly it should be off to left (drag) by 4-6inches. What is XMBC? I have read the user manual and its not clear to me. If there is an option, is it similar to USB and HDMI inputs? My old CRT monitor even has the option to drag images to left-right or up and down. This projector doesn't have. They should have hard keys like in computer LCD monitors to resolve this issue.
post #2298 of 2337 Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 PM

Well this would be the lens shift. Lg doesn't have it. You must move it to move the image.rhe only solutions that come in my mind is to move the screen or the projector. Or maybe just rotate slightly the lg to go in the screen center..but then it could be unfocused or you would have to use the keystone ....so...move it if its possible :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #2299 of 2337 Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 12

Hi All,

I want to share my experience with LGPA70G 3D, I bought it on june 2012 and It's my first projector.

I had a focus issue and I fixed it by changing the little screws around the lens group, I could fix it thanks to this forum and this tread in particularity :).

I like 3D and I bought also 3D DLP LINK glasses from Amazon, I could 3D@1024x768,1280x720,1280x768 through PC, NVIDIA Graphic Card and VGA (DVI>HDMI>VGA OR DVI>VGA), but I wanted also to have 3D with my PS3 and others 3D capable devices.

Indeed now things are changed, thanks to you all guys again, I'm using 720P OPTOMA 3DXL with RF and/or DLP LINK GLASSES!

I'm going to show you some photos about my little "home cinema" room and the things that I use.

I connected Projector and Sources by the extender displayed below and two cat5 cables, I passed the cables into the wall, cleaner!

All sources get into an HDMI 4x2 switcher, I uses it for having a single optical audio from multi hdmi input. 

OPTOMA 3D 3F Glasses with emitter, as you know, If you want to use LGPA70G 3D@720P by HDMI

My DLP Link Glasses, if you want to use it with the native LGPA70G 3D mode

To use DLP Link glasses with OPTOMA 3DXL. I bought this cheap HDMI>VGA converter from Amazon (It costs around 15 EUR) 

I had to put Optoma 3DXL close to projector, after CAT5 HDMI Extender Receiver, this because if I use it before the CAT5 HDMI Extender Transmitter, 3D VGA does not work properly

With all of these things connected together, everything works perfectly without any annoying issue!

I made also a video, it shows DLP Link and RF Mode with 3DXL, it is currently uploading on YouTube (720p 300mb, I do not have a fast connection), I'll update the post when the upload is Done.

EDIT: Here it is

Bye,

Simone.

Bullet220 and RonKnox like this.
post #2300 of 2337 Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM

The screen(10x8feet) is hanging to the wall with a anchor bolt and there is no room to shift it. I'm checking on the mounting plates in the mount to see if I can shift them to the left to have the projector veer towards left. Since its a wall mount and not ceiling mount, corrections to the left or right is tricky. But anything up and down or front and back is possible as wish.
post #2301 of 2337 Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:

The screen(10x8feet) is hanging to the wall with a anchor bolt and there is no room to shift it. I'm checking on the mounting plates in the mount to see if I can shift them to the left to have the projector veer towards left. Since its a wall mount and not ceiling mount, corrections to the left or right is tricky. But anything up and down or front and back is possible as wish.

hi 007 india,

Could you give me the right sizes of your screen please ? I think 10x8 feet is not correct, It means around 3m x 2.4 m and it seems huge.
It is simply to have an idea of what size can be potentially used for 3D.

BTW : Nice set up ;-)

thanks
post #2302 of 2337 Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 AM

Thanks pasqal90

@ breezer001:
The screen is 10feet long x 8feet high. Its liberty Manto model 4:3format 150inches diagonal. Refer attachment. Its taken at the time of mounting. Right now I'm using 6feet high for screen. Distance between projector lens and screen is 14feet.

Screen is suspended from ceiling by a anchor bolt. This is necessary as TV will occupy the space between screen and wall. Also the front high speakers. Sorry I mentioned as 'wall' in my earlier post.

You can use this projector only in night after 7PM due to lightning conditions. I tried 3D, but I get pain in my eye quickly, I don't plan to use 3D in future. If you want to use 3D, then its better to mount projector in a way that center of the projector lens and center of screen(both X&Y) lies in same level.

If you still haven't bought a projector, I would suggest you to keep LG as last option. The build quality is simply poor. The usage is 15hours now and the main remote is gone. I'm using bluetooth one. The Wifi couldn't detect my router but can detect my neighbour's router. My phone can detect my wifi when placed above projector to check if wifi signal strength is an issue. I found CASIO 254 is good in value which is trading @ USD12,xxx in amazon.

Image-0172.jpg 143k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-0172.jpg (142.9 KB, 44 views)
post #2303 of 2337 Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Are you trying to work around the ceiling fan.If so how far are you off,from the recommended distance.I see all these people using 120" screens.The max screen size is 100".When you go bigger that causes focus and brightness issues.I have the PA75U.I had an issue with ceiling fan in the mounting position.I made some MDF extensions.Then anchored them to the wall.This will allow me to lower my screen a little ,and move it away from the wall.I haven't mounted the projector yet.(knee injury)That adjustment allows me to mount,the proper distance.
post #2304 of 2337 Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM

There is no issue of ceiling fan as the projector is mounted to the wall and not to ceiling.
Let me explain the setup. Sorry, the photos(attachments) were of mediocre quality

The section of the living area around the setup is 16x16feet. Height 10feet. I mounted the projector 3.5feet from ceiling using the wall mount. Its actually a ceiling mount but I connected it as wall mount by adding a 'L' shaped plate. The cost of mount is 15US$ after currency conversion. All wires running from projector to AVR are 15m in length. I have connected HDMI wire from AVR to projector. RCA wire from headphone out(projector) to AVR to transmit sounds from projector(USB) to AVR. The center of the projector lens and centre of projector(height) lie in same plane.

As I watch only in the night, there is no issue of brightness. The energy saving is set to medium and contrast to 71.

Everything is fine, but the remote is dead. I don't know if the IR part in projector is gone or remote is gone. The bluetooth remote is fine. I don't know how to bring the menu to adjust video using the bluetooth remote.

Image-0179.jpg 121k .jpg file
Image-0184.jpg 149k .jpg file
Image-0180.jpg 68k .jpg file
Image-0181.jpg 104k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-0179.jpg (121.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Image-0184.jpg (148.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Image-0180.jpg (67.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Image-0181.jpg (104.4 KB, 56 views)
post #2305 of 2337 Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Bom pessoal, meu inglês é péssimo então resolvi escrever em português mesmo.  ( Sou do Brasil )

​acabei de adquirir este projetor e o mesmo já está a caminho de casa.Assim que chegar,posto uma opinião do outro lado do mundo.Abraços.

​Obs:  AVS F: é referência aqui no país.

post #2306 of 2337 Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 14
@simfender,
Great post - I really enjoyed reading about your setup. Thanks for the ideas!
post #2307 of 2337 Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM

post #2308 of 2337 Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM

hi guys!
I bought this projector and with the 3D mode enabled i have some blue colored image ,this is a normal effect from the DLP Link ? I dont have the glasses to try for now....
post #2309 of 2337 Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLuyKi View Post

hi guys!
I bought this projector and with the 3D mode enabled i have some blue colored image ,this is a normal effect from the DLP Link ? I dont have the glasses to try for now....
Yes, this is normal for how it looks without glasses. Without glasses you're seeing both left and right images at once which tends to look blue-ish white and blurry. With glasses it will look clear and noticeably darker, but might still have a slightly blue(cool white-balance) tint depending on your settings. Finding a setting where the white-balance is "WARM" can help a lot if the image still looks too blue when you are looking through glasses.
MrLuyKi likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.-(testing phase)
post #2310 of 2337 Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 PM

dear

I am a proud owner of lg pa70g

I want 3d

which glass to purchase

plz name company

thanx

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP