Epson 8350 vs BenQ W6000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I need some recommendations. I was set on the BenQ W6000 but I'm having a hard time finding it online, or anywhere else for that matter, at a good price. So now I'm looking at the Epson 8350 for my home theater.

Room:
18.5' deep
13' wide
Throw: 17-18'
Sitting: 16-17"
100% control light at night
90-95% during the day.
Movies, DirectTV, Football, PS3

I have actually found the W6000 but it's anywhere from $400-600 more then the 8350. Is the W6000 that much better or should I go for the Epson? Which would be the better projector for my settings?

Laz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to add that it will be ceiling mounted and thinking of getting 120" diagnal fix screen from Foucufix
post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sorry if its about picture quality then the W6000 for sure!! dont go LCD as it lacks sharpness and pop of DLP
post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The W6000 will have a much brighter and sharp picture compared to the 8350. It will also have better blacks compared to the 8350. Because of the brightness, if you're susceptible to color separation (Rainbow Effect), the W6000 will have more than most DLPs. The brightness combined with a 'slower than most of what's offered today color wheel' RBE will be more prominent. That's the only thing you should be worried about. If RBE doesn't affect you, like many people, this shouldn't be a problem. The W6000 is probably a tad noisier too. But it is definitely worth the extra 3-400 dollars in price difference.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I really like the W6000, but I'm surprised how hard it is to find for a discontinued products. I did find a refurbished one at a good price but are a little hesitant with non-new products. I'll keep looking but if anybody knows of a good online store I can buy one, I would appreciate it.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlaz View Post

Sorry, forgot to add that it will be ceiling mounted and thinking of getting 120" diagnal fix screen from Foucufix

The lens shift of the W6000, only allows the projector to be mounted slightly (very little) above the screen. Keep that in mind when deciding projector placement.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I really like the W6000, but I'm surprised how hard it is to find for a discontinued products. I did find a refurbished one at a good price but are a little hesitant with non-new products. I'll keep looking but if anybody knows of a good online store I can buy one, I would appreciate it.

If you're cool with not getting a new one, Projector People has a w6000 for sale in their Demo section for $1332. It says all demo projectors are still covered by the full manufacturer's warranty, you just might want to call or email them about the hours/condition of the unit.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...projectors.asp
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is a good deal above, that is what I'd do. Otherwise you could also look at the Mits hc4000, but it is not as bright.

Refurbs are generally pretty safe for a DLP projector (more than an LCD refurb IMHO), because so many LCD refurbs have bad convergence. I am not against LCD refurbs either though, just I know a few people that went through a lot of trouble with them from the forums. With refurbs, you just have a higher chance of needing to use the warranty and doing more than one exchange.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty set on the W6000 but as I was browsing around found the Benq Site had a refurbished W7000 for $1785. Is the 3D worth the extra price?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
emf

Liked: 11
@Irlaz - I don't have any interest in 3D, but I was at Fry's yesterday where they had an LG computer monitor demo. This monitor had 3D capability and 3D glasses were right there, so I took a look. The 3D demo had fish and one large fish seemed to come out from the screen.

While waiting for w7000, I bought w6000. The refurb you mentioned looks good. I might have been too hasty in scratching off 3D.

My suggestion: go to Fry's and see what LG monitor with 3D looks like. You might like 3D when you see it.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty set on the W6000 but as I was browsing around found the Benq Site had a refurbished W7000 for $1785. Is the 3D worth the extra price?

I think some things are intriguing in 3D, but it's more of a novelty to me still, mainly because there are only glimpses of well-filmed and well-defined 3D scenes in most 3D movies. It definitely can make you feel more like you are there, but the content is so lacking for now.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #12 of 12 Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

That is a good deal above, that is what I'd do. Otherwise you could also look at the Mits hc4000, but it is not as bright.

Refurbs are generally pretty safe for a DLP projector (more than an LCD refurb IMHO), because so many LCD refurbs have bad convergence. I am not against LCD refurbs either though, just I know a few people that went through a lot of trouble with them from the forums. With refurbs, you just have a higher chance of needing to use the warranty and doing more than one exchange.

Aren't the refurbs checked out and adjusted (if necessary) at an Epson facility (i.e. "the factory)? Can't they check for and correct any convergence problems?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page