Anyone have thier PT-4000 calibrated? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally have the PJ 99% setup and right now I'm just using the basic "Cinema 1" color setting along with econo mode for lamp life. The image is plenty bright for me and the color seems very nice as well, I just can't get my eyes off the blacks. I don't expect them to be super inky (not sure if this PJ can even achieve that) but I was hoping it can get better than "out of the box" with some calibration.

I have a feeling they can because I can see the bottom "black bar" spill off the bottom of my screen and onto my subs. I've still got to make panels that cover the subs so eventually it won't be an issue anyway, but still, I think it can do better.

I just wanted to see if any of you had your PT-4000 calibrated and noticed a difference

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
You can calibrate the brightness and contrast without any equipment. You just need a pluge pattern. Download the AVS HD 709 test disc and burn it to a regular DVD, and then it will play in your bluray player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

You do not need a bluray burner to create the disc.

It has the pattern you need to do this. An even deeper calibration can affect the intrascene contrast and native on/off, so this could potentially change the black level of the bar, but not by a huge amount unless you just have your projector really setup far off.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll give that a shot and report my findings
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I did the brightness and contrast settings and no real world difference. The blacks definitely need some work still, I really hope these can get better. Now I can't help but notice it :-/

Can anyone confirm that the blacks will improve after a good calibration? That's honestly all I want.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for bumping this so much, I feel like I'm trying to sell something :P

Has anyone had their 4000 calibrated? If so, how did you like the results?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Chris View Post

Sorry for bumping this so much, I feel like I'm trying to sell something :P

Has anyone had their 4000 calibrated? If so, how did you like the results?

I did. I use AVSHD709 disc downloaded from this forum, together with Spyder3 & i1Pro (I used i1Pro to profile the Spyder3), ColorHCFR software, and the 75% saturation method to calibrate Cinema 1, achieving a flat 2.2 gamma from 10%-90%, color gamut at 25%, 50%, 75% exhibit excellent linearity for all the primaries & secondaries (with just a little bit over saturation at 100% level but it is a good compromise).

The picture is just stunning, and makes you feel as-real-as-it-gets ... cars, trees, rocks, beach, human faces, even a dark corner of a street, ...

But, the drawback is, you will need to sacrifice lots of light output with such full calibration.

Just want to fill up your curiosity about how capable this projector can be. This is the response you want, right?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the late response Dom, thank you for your very thorough response and it has given me a little bit of good light on the subject

How was your picture before your calibration, especially dark scenes and detail in those scenes. That is where I'm lacking. Sometimes I feel like there is a slight loss of detail over the whole picture.

Also, how much light are you talking about? Apparently you're still happy with your brightness after calibration, do you wish it was brighter or something?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Chris View Post

Sorry for the late response Dom, thank you for your very thorough response and it has given me a little bit of good light on the subject

How was your picture before your calibration, especially dark scenes and detail in those scenes. That is where I'm lacking. Sometimes I feel like there is a slight loss of detail over the whole picture.

Also, how much light are you talking about? Apparently you're still happy with your brightness after calibration, do you wish it was brighter or something?

In my specific viewing environment and the screen that I use, the default setting of Cinema 1 would result in a color temperature being too high (~8000K), gamma too low (ranging from 1.9 - 2.0 across 10%-90%), and a seriously oversaturated gamut (esp. oversaturated red). With the gamma being too low (much lower than 2.2), the picture looks washed out; but the shadow details is good (you should be able to see good shadow details if you set the brightness correctly - though a low gamma will make the picture loses its depth).

When briging the white point back to D65, you're expected to lose >30% light output; but in my case it's still worthwhile and acceptable. Even though with light output at slightly over 9ftL at 100% white, the picture looks very nice to me without a feeling of being too dim (my bulb age is roughly 910 hours).
Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Will be doing a full D65 calibration on the AE4000 soon, will post back when done.

Jason
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's great Dom, and yeah, I think "depth" was the word I'm looking for, washed out sums it up nicely as well

Sounds like a good calibration wouldn't be a bad investement. Too bad I don't have the tools to tell me what my current "settings" are reading (gamma, etc).

Can't wait to hear about your results Pimp, please share!!