are most of you using ECO modes? - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > are most of you using ECO modes?
CaptJosh's Avatar CaptJosh 06:55 PM 04-20-2012
Just curious. Are most of you finding that ECO mode offers better performance? I have an acer 7531d...and have been playing around with using ECO and an ND2 filter. I'm looking for optimum performance, not lamp life

Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 07:25 PM 04-20-2012
It all depends on what your definition of performance is. Are you asking about color accuracy? You said you've been playing with an ND filter. Are you looking for the best blacks you can get?

The color accuracy will vary from projector to projector. Often when one calibrates the image in one mode when you go up (or down) in brightness the color you calibrated won't be the same in the other mode. As far as the ND filter goes I would bet in most cases you'll get a better overall picture if you set it to your higher brightness mode with an ND filter.
emf's Avatar emf 07:27 PM 04-20-2012
eco mode only
I think eco mode protects the lamp from extreme wattage. Probably good to use brighter mode from time to time, according to some posters on this site.
CaptJosh's Avatar CaptJosh 07:33 PM 04-20-2012
In general, the normal power mode seems like it provides the best contrast and most solid color. I want better blacks, but not at the expense of other aspects. If that were the case, I suppose I could use ECO and the ND filter....but I don't want to loose the great color and grayscale. I haven't done extensive calibration. With ECO mode though, to be fair.
lespurgeon's Avatar lespurgeon 08:06 PM 04-20-2012
8350, yes.
Ken30NYC's Avatar Ken30NYC 11:58 PM 04-20-2012
I had the ae2000u which I ran in Eco mode for the max 3000 hours. I now have the ae4000u which I have run in normal mode for the max 2000 hours. if I had to choose I'd say I preferred the 2000 hours in normal mode. It's not much dimmer than when it was brand new. The 2000u that I ran in Eco mode got very dim by the time I had to change the bulb.

Might as well have the best possible picture for as much time as possible. Obviously other brands may differ but for Panasonics I recommend normal mode.
Verge2's Avatar Verge2 07:17 AM 04-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It all depends on what your definition of performance is. Are you asking about color accuracy? You said you've been playing with an ND filter. Are you looking for the best blacks you can get?

The color accuracy will vary from projector to projector. Often when one calibrates the image in one mode when you go up (or down) in brightness the color you calibrated won't be the same in the other mode. As far as the ND filter goes I would bet in most cases you'll get a better overall picture if you set it to your higher brightness mode with an ND filter.

? Why use Eco and no filter than? Same thing.
rovingtravler's Avatar rovingtravler 09:29 AM 04-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post

eco mode only
I think eco mode protects the lamp from extreme wattage. Probably good to use brighter mode from time to time, according to some posters on this site.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by extreme wattage. If a bulb is rated at 230 watts and high or normal is 230 watts and eco is 200 how is running it in normal extreme wattage?

as an aside anyone should run their PJ in the mode that gives them enough light. If eco is enough then calibrate in eco and watch. Then as the bulb ages you can go back to normal to get more light out of the PJ.

If you need normal due to screen size then keep itin normal for a good image.
kimsharma's Avatar kimsharma 09:46 PM 04-23-2012
5010, ECO.

Even on Eco mode it is plenty bright. Also throw distance is small, that helps.

I had to calibrate it more though - the colors looked washed out / under exposed with ECO mode.
tommyv2's Avatar tommyv2 09:20 AM 04-24-2012
Sony HW20 here, running in Eco mode. The odd time I'll run it on Normal for a few hours just because.

It's plenty bright in Eco. Mostly white or bright outdoor scenes are blinding!
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 10:37 AM 04-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

? Why use Eco and no filter than? Same thing.

No its not. Brightness drops will be different and you'll get better blacks with a filter.
CaptJosh's Avatar CaptJosh 05:02 PM 04-24-2012
I'm still feeling that on my projector(acer 7531D) normal mode with an ND2 filter looks better than ECO
mariokrt64's Avatar mariokrt64 05:38 PM 04-24-2012
Have a Mitsu HC6800 and JVC DLAHD250...Both on low lamp...have a 1.8 gain, 100 in diagonal screen, though.....pretty bright image....
porsche951's Avatar porsche951 07:51 AM 04-25-2012
Always ECO
Davecraze's Avatar Davecraze 10:45 AM 04-25-2012
Epson 5010 - living room mode in ECO always (I don't like the fan noise of normal) - almost max wide zoom - 153" diagonal - 1.0 gain screen, soon to be seymour xd/jamestown hybrid (advertised 1.2 but really .9) whenever it comes in
Up
Mobile  Desktop