Trying to purchase new lamp for my AE-4000u projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finding different pricing on a replacement bulb from $400 to $99.
is it true that there are certain bulb manufactures (Phillips or Osram) you need to look for to get your moneys worth?
The bulb that came with my projector is at 1980 hours and still going strong and showing no signs of dimming. At start up on the projector it tells me to replace the lamp. Can i still use this for a few more hours?

Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53 View Post

I am finding different pricing on a replacement bulb from $400 to $99. is it true that there are certain bulb manufactures (Phillips or Osram) you need to look for to get your moneys worth? The bulb that came with my projector is at 1980 hours and still going strong and showing no signs of dimming. At start up on the projector it tells me to replace the lamp. Can i still use this for a few more hours? Thanks for any advice

Since no one else is responding I'd advise you to protect your investment by buying a genuine Panasonic replacement. Head over to Projector People (an AVS sponsor) and place your order either online or talk to a representative if you have a question about this bulb.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...p?itemid=24988

Genuine versus generic bulbs has been discussed many times in various projector threads and the general consensus is to go for OEM. Personally I think the quality control for genuine Panasonic bulbs is fairly high since they are still manufactured in Japan, they are the only brand I have ever purchased.

You are evidently running your projector in normal mode (not eco) and nearing the 2000 hour warning for a lamp replacement. If you were to reset the lamp counter on your present bulb there is the risk of possible damage to the projector if the bulb pops. Not recommended.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought my replacement bulb from ProVantage and was very happy all around. The price was good ($300 or so) for a real Panasonic bulb.

BTW: You won't beleive how much brighter a new bulb is. I tested it when I got mine, and found that the old bulb was only kicking out 40% of the light of the new bulb. I won't be waiting for the 2,000 hour mark next time. It's like getting a whole new projector for just $300.

Mike
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anyone purchased an OEM lamp from Projectorquest?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone purchased an OEM lamp from Projectorquest?

No. But $169 for an OEM lamp? Pleaseeeeeee! There is no way this is anything other than a clone version. Really you get what you pay for.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wrote this a while ago,, read post#10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1326793

Hope it helps

Bohanna
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Could somebody please take a few photos of the actual bare bone lamp for this projector from a couple of angles along with its rough dimensions and post them here.

Thanks

Bohanna
Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am finding different pricing on a replacement bulb from $400 to $99.
is it true that there are certain bulb manufactures (Phillips or Osram) you need to look for to get your moneys worth?
The bulb that came with my projector is at 1980 hours and still going strong and showing no signs of dimming. At start up on the projector it tells me to replace the lamp. Can i still use this for a few more hours?

Thanks for any advice

Generally with most projectors the lamp is on a 1000 or 2000 hour countdown timer that shows once it gets to zero. This doesn't mean that it needs replacement it just means that it would be a good time to replace it. You can reset the timer and it could go a lot longer. Once the lamp chamber begins to distort and get out of round you will notice the lamp gets dimmer. The best way to increase a lamps life it to let the lamp properly cool before re-striking it and if you have a High altitude option in the menu use it since it speeds up the cooling fan(s)

Good luck

Bohanna
Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is there any type of warranty on a Panasonic projector lamp? If i install it and it goes out 2 months down the road am i out $300?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
(Off the top of my head) 90 days from date of purchase. So if you buy a new bulb as a spare, the warrantee is running out while it sits on the shelf. People often advise buying new bulbs and then installing them immediately, holding onto the old bulb as a backup.

Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
AFAIK the genuine Panasonic lamps are now made in China...at least some of them.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

AFAIK the genuine Panasonic lamps are now made in China...at least some of them.

That's interesting, is this anecdotal or is there something you can refer me to? The last Panasonic bulb I bought on Amazon for my previous projector (PT-AE900U) was manufactured in Japan. However, you can not find this particular bulb on Amazon any longer only clones that sell for half the price I originally paid. Picture of the original box attached. Visual Apex (an AVS Forum sponsor) has got the ET-LAE4000 for $379 and the price for a replacement lamp for my current projector the Panasonic PT-AR100U is also $379, so I find it very hard to believe either was made in China. Best approach to bulb buying is to call the merchant and ask about the country of origin.
LL