Not IF but WHEN I get a PJ am I best off... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 160
...simply selecting the best "screen" paint I can find for my space and painting the entire wall I will be projecting on?

I say am "I" be best off because I bet the following items do not bother most people like they would me because, well, I'm an aesthetics freak.

1. I considered a fixed screen. Seemed like a decent option. Then I realized that because I will use the PJ for sports/tv content AND film, there will of course be unused screen for different content. Nice image with massive spaces of framed white/grey screen. Probabaly not an issue (rightly) for 99% of the population. This would drive me nuts.

2. I considered a motorized drop-down screen. This also initially seemed like a good option. But I would rather not have the case hanging from the ceiling. and I'm not yet convinced (from the units I've seen) that the screen will be as uniform (read: flat) as I would like (like a fixed screen built into the wall) and that would drive me nuts. Never mind I run into the unused screen issue again.

The option that I think would work best for ME: simply painting the entire wall. No masking. No unused white/grey space. Perfectly flat (or made perfectly flat, if necessary). No, not absolutely perfect, but the best for me, perhaps.

My question: what's the image quality sacrifice over using a screen? If it's that significant perhaps I'll reconsider, but I've read that so many have seen great results with simply painting that I'm really interested in the option.

Paint the wall. Done.

Opinions? I'm sure there has to have been at least a few guys like me who felt the same- or at least didn't have the WAF for a fixed screen.

thanks.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The DIY screen painters will assure you that there are no compromises in picture quality with a painted screen. For me the issue would be all that white wall with no pictures or decorations. I like a drop down screen so I can have all kinds of stuff behind it to look at when I'm not watching video. If the screen is retro reflective, some ripples will not distort the picture. Otherwise, yes, a drop down screen would need tab tensioning, and that costs.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page