Taking the projector plunge, couple o Q's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I was using the search feature to attempt to answer my questions so I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked.

I am replacing my Mitsu 73" DLP TV with a projector here soon.

The model of projector I am looking at is the Panasonic PT AR100u 1080P projector.

I know its big and bulky, but its going to sit on a wall shelf.

My sitting distance is about 12' from my wall, and I dont konw what size screen I am going to go with yet. I will be using the projector without a screen and play with the screen size to see what works best. Hoping for something in the 100-120" range.

My question is, I didnt see any review on this projector. Anyone use one, and what are your thoughts.

Oh and about ambient light. I have a Window to the right about 8' from the screen with blinds on it. I cant get it completely dark during the day, hence why I was going with a bright projector. Am I on the right track here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Viewsonic Pro8200 (less expensive), Benq w6000 (more expensive), and Panny ar100u (the one you mentioned) are generally the 3 main contenders when needing a light cannon.

The Pro8200 produces a better image IMHO, it has a smoother more film-like look and will be sharper unless you get lucky on the convergence of the Panny. I have never seen this specific Panny that I recall, but I've seen so many LCD projectors, and DLP is sharper and smoother with better pixel fill usually.

The Benq w6000 overall produces the best image of the three, but it's about $500+ more expensive, and it's almost as bright as the Viewsonic in some respects, and it does better blacks, and is a tad sharper. However, it is noisier than the VS, and it has more potential RBE (only if you are sensitive to it), but it also has better placement flexibility.

The Viewsonic needs to be ceiling mounted and you need 9' ceilings to do it easily (although you can get away with 8' ceilings potentially, definitely 8.5'). The Benq has a little more placemnt flexiblity over the VS, and the Panny ar100u has the most placement flexibility.

Any of the three will produce a decent image, but the VS has better blacks and contrast than the Panny pre-IRIS, and the Benq w6000 has darker blacks than both of the other two.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM

I think you are on the right track.

I did a lot of research on the AR-100U a while back when I saw a deal on them- I did find reviews and it seemed like an excellent projector for the price point. Definitely will be adequate with compensating for ambient light. Picture size depends greatly on the projector's distance from the screen (or wall). The manufacturer website usually has a calculator tool for that. You input the projector model, distance from the wall, and it will give you the screen size. Or you input the desired screen size and projector model, and it will give you the required distance.

I didn't get the Panasonic because they sold out before I was ready to pull the trigger.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would stick with DLP unless you are RBE sensitive or need the extra placement flexiblity of LCD.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM

I just recently got this projector(ar100). Its great. I sit about 10' from the screen and the projector is right above our head, its little noisy, but Get 100" easy. Its not optimal, but I don't mind. I did get a nd2 filter to calm down the brightness with it being that close. I have a large window opposite of the screen to the right, with the vertical shades closed I get a good picture, a little washed, but watchable. Oh, and I use a favi 1.3 gain screen.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

I have not pulled the trigger...which has allowed me to save up some more cash.

I have up to 2200 to spend on just the projector.

In that range, with the above info, what do you think would be the best route to go?

Remember I do heavy movie viewing and medium gaming but have ZERO need for 3d.

Also I have flexibility in where to mount the projector (I have a vaulted ceiling on the wall its mounted too).

Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page