70-80" Needed -- In Living Room -- Projector or LCD/LED TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Below is a picture of my living room. I'm rearranging it and the viewing distance will increase to about ~15-16 feet. Currently have a 52" LCD, and will need/want a 70" display.

I've read a bit on projectors and the light-controlled aspect seems pretty significant.

Do you recommend a projector (to obtain that 70-80" picture) or 70" LCD/LED/Plasma??

The projector would need to be mounted from the ceiling, the daytime light would come in from the South via the patio opening. Not direct light, though. And at night, the recessed lights in the ceiling are usually dim. Does that seem like a manageable environment for a ~$1500 projector? In comparison, the TV would cost just under $2000 (not the best spec'd 70", but it'll do).

Thanks!!

(The TV/picture would be on the opposite wall-- less light)

This is the future TV wall:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
At that distance, you could easily do 100+" size screen. Are you just looking for the 70-80" screen size wise? If so i would stick with a TV and not worry about the light control issue. Although there is nothing like watching something at 100+ inches in full 1080p glory.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With that room, I would go with a TV. The largest you can afford.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How about having the TV where it is and the PJ screen on the opposite wall, take away everything from that side so screen could take up that space, also that side looks like not as bright as other side of room. So TV with maybe black couch looking at it , moving black couch across from TV, 4 to 6 feet away from TV and move and reverse sofa so it faces back wall in middle of room behind black couch.
Since room is so bright, dual use room at opposite walls. Solo/couple's hdtv viewing where hdtv is right now ,and special night/movie/sports group viewing on opposite wall viewing from big sofa.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

invadergir-- I'm definitely open to bigger, but what do you think about the light issue? Would a projector thrive/be sufficient in that room? For example, if a group of people were over and in that living room, the lights would be at least half-way (its a dimmer) on. Is that going to kill the projector's performance?

Jim-- Is that why you suggest to TV?

rgtaa-- Thanks, but gotta stick to one TV :-)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, stick with a Tv at that size. You need at least 100'' to enjoy that projector experience.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Yeah, stick with a Tv at that size. You need at least 100'' to enjoy that projector experience.

Yea, I'm okay with a bigger picture. But, would a projector survive in mild lighting? Look as good as a dedicated LED/LCD screen?

Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
That would be NO. Any light hitting the screen is going to have a negative impact on the image. For a projected image to look as good as a flat panel, the room has to be DARK. Otherwise, you have no blacks, no shadow details.

Look at the wall in the lighting you anticipate. That is as dark as the image will be. Which means you have lost not only the depth of the image, but the contrast is gone as well. The image looks muddy. Not pretty. A projector cannot darken an area. It projects light. So if the screen is brighter than the image being projected, then there's nothing to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post

Yea, I'm okay with a bigger picture. But, would a projector survive in mild lighting? Look as good as a dedicated LED/LCD screen?

Thanks

post #9 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post

invadergir-- I'm definitely open to bigger, but what do you think about the light issue? Would a projector thrive/be sufficient in that room? For example, if a group of people were over and in that living room, the lights would be at least half-way (its a dimmer) on. Is that going to kill the projector's performance?

Jim-- Is that why you suggest to TV?

Yes. Too much light in that room. PLus you want to have lights on when people are over.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you aren't willing to control light (blackout drapes on patio doors and low lights) then a TV is your only viable option unless you want to spend big bucks on a screen like a Black Diamond.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 AM

I installed a projector in a room (97" screen) with 2 sets of double glass doors. The doors and windows clostest to the screen, I have put heavy drapes. If you are willing to consider drapes on the sliding glass door, I think it would be doable. TV viewing in my room is fine, even with the back half the room lit by recessed lights. the second set of doors have built in blinds, but are located 20' back from the screen on a side wall. I don't need drapes on those. Movie viewing is definitely better with all the lights off, and at night.

I think your room could work fine, especially if you are willing to consider drapes on your sliding door. You will definitely want a gray screen instead of white, though. That will increase constrast during daytime viewing or when some lights are on.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page