New To Home Theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a house that was set up for a home theatre in the basement with 92" screen, very nice wood work and wiring and speakers in the walls. I decided on an Optoma HD23 projector and I am still in process of setting up. Is there a recommend calibration (color, brightness, etc.) that I can look up somewhere for basement viewing with minimal natural light? The screen also seems a little wavy and I am wondering the best way to smooth it out. It has a wood frame around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 14
It really isn't about "basement viewing" or 'attic viewing'. The issues start with the ambient light you have in your theater room. This, in part determines what screen type you choose. If you have, for example, a lot of window light you can't block out, you tend toward certain choices.

Then you ask yourself why you are going with a front projector - Is it for gaming? movies? 3D movies? sports? regular tv viewing? The answer to these questions tends to indicate the right projector.

Some guys have tried various ways to smooth out wavy screens (like ironing or hair dryer) - most without permanent success.

It's probably good that you picked the Optoma. It is DLP with a color wheel. Some people see a rainbow effect (to the point of being unwatchable) with color wheel machines, while others don't perceive them at all. If you do, at least you don't have a major investment in your projector and can upgrade sooner.

If your theater room is as dark as the inner chambers of the Carlsbad Caverns, and your walls aren't white, I would junk the screen in favor of a new white one. Some of the budget screens are a pretty good value. Then pay attention to the mounting distance and positioning of the projector. Should be a good experience.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWiley12 View Post

...The screen also seems a little wavy and I am wondering the best way to smooth it out. It has a wood frame around it.

How is the screen attached to the frame? You may be able to apply more tension to stretch it out and tighten it.

As for the calibration, I think there's a newish thread on the HD23 that may have some helpful info. You can also use a calibration disk (Avia, WoW, etc.) or you may have the THX optimizers on one of your disks that will get you started.

XBL GT: Big Bucket