Replacement for Optoma HD70? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I love my HD70, but I'm thinking that I'm going to want to upgrade to a 1080p unit within the next year or so, and I'm wondering what might be a suitable replacement.

The two main uses are:
  • In my basement on a screen that is roughly 100'' diagonal. Throw distance is about 10 feet.
  • Outdoors on a 16'x9' screen, with a throw distance of about 25 feet.

Surprisingly, the HD70 does outdoors fairly well despite what I would consider to be low lumens.

So mostly I'm concerned about making sure I don't have to alter the throw distance too much, i.e. would like to have roughly the same projector with better resolution and possibly more lumens.

Thinking I'd like to stay around $1,500.00 but I could go higher if there was a compelling reason.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The HD70 was my first projector and still works flawlessly today, but I decided to replace it with a Benq W1100 about a year ago. I paid less than $1,000 for the HD70, so I decided to stay in the $1,000 range for the next one. It was either the Mit HC4000 or the W1100. I chose the W1100 because it was $200 cheaper. I have put in almost 2000hrs on this projector in just a year.

I love my W1100 and would recommend it for casual tv/movie watching when a lot of brightness is needed. Look at other DLP projectors also. They are more similar than they are different. You want to look for one with 1.5x zoom, and a good warranty and support.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
$1500? Get the HD33. Your throw is about 11 1/2 feet if your screen size is 100" diagonal. At the same throw distance, the HD33 will give you 106" maximum diagonal, so you can use the same throw and back off the zoom a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yallmf View Post

So I love my HD70, but I'm thinking that I'm going to want to upgrade to a 1080p unit within the next year or so, and I'm wondering what might be a suitable replacement.

The two main uses are:
  • In my basement on a screen that is roughly 100'' diagonal. Throw distance is about 10 feet.
  • Outdoors on a 16'x9' screen, with a throw distance of about 25 feet.

Surprisingly, the HD70 does outdoors fairly well despite what I would consider to be low lumens.

So mostly I'm concerned about making sure I don't have to alter the throw distance too much, i.e. would like to have roughly the same projector with better resolution and possibly more lumens.

Thinking I'd like to stay around $1,500.00 but I could go higher if there was a compelling reason.

Thanks in advance!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page