Has Epson Gotten Better at Fixing Convergence? - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Has Epson Gotten Better at Fixing Convergence?
lexlynx's Avatar lexlynx 06:33 PM 05-13-2012
I have an 8700ub that's getting replaced with a refurb in a few days due to convergence issues. It was off by almost 4 pixels in some places, which was bad enough to give me a long-lasting headache whenever I read text, using my HTPC.

Epson assured me that the replacement unit would be inspected to make sure it had proper convergence beforehand, but I had gone through all that before last year with a different Epson projector, where my new unit had perfect convergence, but developed a brown cast on the side, and I went through 4 replacements, because the convergence was never as good. In the end, I had to settle for one with green being 1 pixel off.

I was wondering, does anybody who's gotten a refurbished Epson lately have anything to report on the convergence of the unit? I'd like to think that they've eventually gotten better at fixing them, or at least realized that spending a little extra time aligning the pixels better would save them plenty in shipping fees!

FendersRule's Avatar FendersRule 06:43 PM 05-13-2012
I found that brand new Epson 8700ubs tend to have very consistent and excellent convergence. Like you, I've found that Epson refurbished 8700UBs (I've only tested one) always had some sort of issue, and they are no where near the quality of new units.

The real question at hand, is has Epson gotten better at refurbished quality control. And it's a good question.
lexlynx's Avatar lexlynx 03:45 PM 05-18-2012
Looks like the first one to weigh in is...myself. Looks like more of the same:

I'll see what I get after I send this one back too.
n84china's Avatar n84china 07:03 PM 06-18-2012
What's the easiest way to test convergence without an HTPC? I'm getting the Disney WOW disc this week.
Tinman's Avatar Tinman 07:07 PM 06-18-2012
I recently bought a refurb 8700UB and despite my greatest fears the convergence is dead on in the center, and only off half a pixel on the extreme edges. eek.gif

I was actually floored, expecting much worse. So far, knock on wood, I can find nothing to complain about. Let's hope it lasts.

When I placed the order, I was already prepared to play the epson shuffle to get a good one. Boy, was I surprised!

Getting near 100 hours, time to fully calibrate it.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 09:51 PM 06-18-2012
Wow you got a gem there, that's not just good convergence, that's near-perfect. That's DLP sharpness levels right there when you get convergence that good.
Tinman's Avatar Tinman 06:05 PM 06-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Wow you got a gem there, that's not just good convergence, that's near-perfect. That's DLP sharpness levels right there when you get convergence that good.

Indeed, I used my optoma HD-20 as a reference. The image is sharp!

Now I just hope and pray I don't have any issues with it down the line.
Up
Mobile  Desktop