134 million vs 1.07 billion colours - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am in search for an appropriate projector for projecting still photographs to audiences of up to about 60 people. My requirements are: High resolution, good brightness and true & bright colours.

The majority of the content projected will always be 4:3. Therefore I am considering the purchase of the ACER P5403 with the SXGA+ (1400x1050) resolution. One of the interesting characteristics is the brightness - 3500 ansi lm. Anything else in this price range (usually Full HD) has about 2000 ansi lm.

But the ACER P5403 has only 134 million colours, while the others have usually 1.07 billion. Is this characteristic important to me?

Any other comments concerning my projector choice would be welcomed!

BTW I am building a two-projector set-up for polarized stereoscopic projection, so I need some extra brightness to compensate for the loss on the filters, and I need a DLP projector. Otherwise my requirements are the same as if I was projecting 'flat' (2D) photographs.

Thank you!
Matej
Prague, Czechia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Liked: 13
According to Wikipedia, the human eye can only distinguish 10 million colors. So you should be able to get by with 134 million.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
colors are over rated. Accurate colors are more important.

If you are doing this for business and you need correct colors and a light cannon duue to 3D you will have better luck with a DLP. Also you will need a projector that has a CMS (color management system) so you can have the colors calibrated to the correct levels.

If you are computer asvy I would look on EBay and get a Tri-stim meter or a spectro and use HFCR or buy Calman or Chromapure, so you can adjust your projectors as the bulbs age. This will keep the best image on the screen the entire time.

P.S. What software or system are you using to create the 3D image?

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers!

I am giving public lectures with projected stereophotographs from my travels. It's not business, but a hobby that does not even fully pay for itself. Therefore I do not want to spend more than about $1000 for each of the two projectors. Active 3D (shutter glasses) with one projector is not an option for an audience of this size, because the glasses are expensive.

I need DLP because I am projecting through polariser filters. Light coming from LCD projectors is already polarized in various directions, so they cannot be used.

Does ANY of the cheap-end DLP 1080p (or SXGA+) projectors have CMS?

The system I use to generate 3D images:

I've been already shooting stereo photographs way back in the days of analogue slides. I used various vintage (1950's) and home built devices.
Up to now I am projecting traditional slides using a double slide projector, a silver screen and polarised glasses.

About two years ago I built my first digital camera rig, a special device for taking close-up (and macro) stereophotographs, and a dual monitor set-up for quality one-person viewing

I wanted to post some url links, but since this is only my second post, I am not alowed:-(

The next step is to digitalise the projectors. I am taking a long time on this, as the quality is going up and prices down. But I already have a lot of digital material I would like to present, so I decided to step forward...

Software I use:
I edit and align the digital photos using Stereo PhotoMaker (freeware), the best tool so far. I am on Linux, so I use the Geeqie image viewer, which possesses some advanced stereoscopic functions (on demand - I know one of the developers:-)).

I'm afraid I'm getting off-topic here...:-)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds great! You could look at the Mit HC-4000 that has a CMS and I am not sure if the Benq 1200 / or 6000 has one.

Prices range on these models but are or were close to your budget aleast on the HC-4000/

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again!!

Unfortunatelly neither of the projectors suggested fits my budget - for example the HC-4000 sells for something that would equal about $1600 here Czechia, Europe:-(

Anyway, comparing the characteristics is an important clue to me. I was surprised to find out that the HC-4000 has only 1300 Ansi lumens (and the BenQ W1200 has 1800). The Acer P5403 I mentioned earlier really stands out with it's 3500 Ansi, altough it may be junk otherwise. But how do I find out:-)?

The only option would be to compare several projecors side-by side in operation, something that no seller allows:-(

I probably do not need sophisticated CMS. But I would like the projectors to show smooth colour transitions without blown-out areas of the same colour, etc... This is more important than colour accuracy.

Matej
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

take a look at projector reviews dot com and see if they have the acer listed. That site gives actual calibrated lumens so you can compare apples to apples and not what the manufacturer says you might get out of it.

David

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page