Sony vpl-vw10ht everything white looks yellow :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this projector off craigslist and they guy said it worked good. Ive been reading this forum a long time wishing to someday get enough to buy one lol.

The picture and everything is clear, but everything white has a yellow tint. I tried every setting in the book and cant get rid of it!

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned every lens and mirror. Still didnt help. I fiddled with the 3 ribbon cables for the colors and each one does have an effect of the picture but it didn't help. Thought one might be loose.

I did only try a yellow video in from a dvd player and nintendo wii.

Never tried the red blue green cables, dont have any thing that uses them. I only have either yellow red white, or hdmi hookups.

Any suggestions? I wish it would work. I wanted a projector so long but dont have much money. I got one and it doesn't work good

I don't want to break my nails anymore! :'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The internal squirrel running wheel might be loose or you might need to replace the old squirrel. If you get an odd smell with the yellow color, it's a good bet the squirrel has died. If that checks out, then it might just be the way it is. Back in the olden days of projectors yellow was actually considered white and light grey was considered black and pink was red. About eight generations ago, they started improving those things.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, by reviews ive read this was supposed to be a good one. Your post wasnt very informative!

cries :'(
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 130
An LCD from 2000-2002 will have issues with polarizesers or even the LCD panels could be failing. It may have been good then, but like cell phones and computers, we have come a very very very long way since the year 2000. I had a couple LCD projectors from back in those days, and one epson had a red ghost around everything, and the other .. well that was a single panel LCD and looked really bad..
So no real help for you, I would put it back on craigs list and look for something from 2005 or newer for about $100
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

arg! I guess ill never be able to have a projector! I live in a very small area and there never is any for sale!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You're right, that post was a complete waste of time. From your description, it sounds like the Blue Polarizer is burned, a common problem with some LCD projectors. Unfortunately, I don't see that the individual parts for the optical engine are available. Which means a VERY expensive repair.

But just to confirm, you should be able to have the projector display a White screen with no input connected. Or look at the projector menu. Those are all clues that tell you if the problem is with optical engine or the input.

And by the way, the Yellow Video connection is the WORST possible image while the HDMI is the BEST possible image.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sheridan. The menu still has a yellow tint. The background to the menu is blue so I cant display a white screen. But any snow or anything white in a movie has a yellow tint. Other colors look ok tho. Its probably junk I guess. It's really annoying because I was excited to finally have a projector.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yep, that pretty much confirms it. Sorry. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for it? I suppose all sales were final?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

$100...

I found a optoma ds317 on craigslist as well. The guy wants $200 with a 60" screen.

Is that worth it? I want to watch basic DVD's and some sports maybe.