Is my AR100U being overused? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How much is too much? I received my Panasonic AR100U projector back around the last week of March. In the ~7 weeks or so we've been using it, it already has over 150 hours of use on it, possibly closer to 200 (forgot to check last night after watching a flick).

It's not so much the actual hours I'm concerned about, it's the number of bulb strikes. Right now the only display devices in our house with DVD/BRD players are the living room TV and the projector. My 2-year old loves watching Elmo DVD's, Chipmunks, Pixar, etc. so my wife will put those on for him in the movie room while she's doing other stuff around the house. Makes life much easier because otherwise he follows her around whining and screaming all day. As such the projector bulb gets struck sometimes 15+ times per week.

Does that sound like a lot? Sometimes we might put his DVD on for him in the living room, but usually we're watching other stuff. And I'm not really keen on him having a TV in his room, perhaps because I never had my own TV until I was in college, or perhaps because I just don't want to buy another TV. Something about a 2-year old having his own TV in his room just doesn't seem right to me. I dunno, thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

How much is too much? I received my Panasonic AR100U projector back around the last week of March. In the ~7 weeks or so we've been using it, it already has over 150 hours of use on it, possibly closer to 200 (forgot to check last night after watching a flick).

It's not so much the actual hours I'm concerned about, it's the number of bulb strikes. Right now the only display devices in our house with DVD/BRD players are the living room TV and the projector. My 2-year old loves watching Elmo DVD's, Chipmunks, Pixar, etc. so my wife will put those on for him in the movie room while she's doing other stuff around the house. Makes life much easier because otherwise he follows her around whining and screaming all day. As such the projector bulb gets struck sometimes 15+ times per week.

Does that sound like a lot? Sometimes we might put his DVD on for him in the living room, but usually we're watching other stuff. And I'm not really keen on him having a TV in his room, perhaps because I never had my own TV until I was in college, or perhaps because I just don't want to buy another TV. Something about a 2-year old having his own TV in his room just doesn't seem right to me. I dunno, thoughts?

Not at all, you are probably avg. 25-30 hours a week, which is not bad at all. My first projector was a Panasonic AE3000 and my brother and I put 2600 hours on it in 8 months, which is like 80hrs a week, and it ran with no problems. I have almost the same situation as you, I had to buy a second projector for my family to basically enjoy. I have an $8K projector, which I have no desire to watch constantly, so I got a $400 720p projector. My nephew, which is 4 doesn't care much about 1080p quality when it comes to cartoons and kid shows on a 120in screen. I let my brother play as much PS3 as he want on it too and as much tv he wants to watch. I'm not saying go out and buy a second projector because your use isn't as much. I think you will be able to get a good 2000 hours out of your panny. If you continue to watch it at a rate of 25 hours per week, it should last you almost 2 years without changing the bulb. I don't know how much panasonic bulbs cost tho. My JVC bulbs are $400, so I'm very careful, why my Acer bulbs are $150 each and the projector last 5000 hours.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Consider that sports bars generally run their projectors 16/7. Most projectors can handle that, no problem.

The only real concern is lamp replacement. You will notice (or should) a decrease in brightness as the lamp ages. By the time the lamp reaches EOL, it will have lost at least 75% of its rated output. If you wait till then to replace the lamp, you'll have one of those moments where you wonder why you waited so long when you see the difference.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
I own an ae900 and have it put it through torture sometimes turning it off and on 5 times a day. I am on the 4th bulb and the first 3 bulbs made it to 2000 hours and I replaced them because I wanted a new one not because they stopped working. My father has a projector he uses once a week and has had 2 bulbs fail prematurely So its really just the luck of the draw.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10
Haha... Man... If you think you're over using yours, you'd probably have a stroke with the way we use ours lol. We have over 630 hours on ours now and its only 66 days old! It's turned on and off at least 8 times a day. Between xbox, blu rays, cable tv... Kids running in and out, wanting to watch something then booking back out before the movie even hits the 10 min mark. F it.... We bought it to enjoy!

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page