How delicate is a 6500UB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my cat got a little enthusiastic in playing with a toy and swept my projector off the bottom shelf of a coffee table onto a carpeted floor, about 8 inches. When I set it up the only thing I noticed is a slight amount of keystoning, the top of the screen is about two inches wider than the bottom on a 100 inch screen, throw is about 10-12 feet with the projector sitting below the bottom of the screen.

I'm wondering if this is normal and I just now noticed it since I was trying to readjust everthing, or if some widget in the light engine or lens shift assembly got messed up. The lamp survived and the convergence is still accurate to the pixel. It doesn't seem this is dramatically more abuse than it would take in normal shipping; do I need to take precautions so it never happens again? Are projectors fixable or am I out the cost of a new one if it is damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I own two Epson 6500UB projectors. I like the picture, price, and warranty so much that I bought a spare. I keep one in the closet.

My setup is overhead about 12' from a 100" Stewart "Blackhawk" screen.

No keystone should be necessary with the lens shift capabilities of this projector from the distance you are quoting?

Your picture throw from the top and bottom of the screen should be the same.
Everything proportionality. Check all your settings and focus.

Fasten it down so the cat can't move it.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I too, love my 6500ub! I came from another excellent projector, a b-stock Sony VPL-vw60 (SXRD) I bought from AVS. Through the circumstances of a divorce, I decided to leave the system for my kids to enjoy.

Anyway, I decided to go with a b-stock 6500ub. I was convinced it would be a marked step down. Maybe it should have been, on paper. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised! The settings out of the box were excellent.

The main advantage were the top-notch black levels. I've never seen "Battlestar Galactica" look so good! I NEVER thought I'd see an LCD display such deep blacks. (Even though it is being helped by an auto-iris).

I would check warranty service. Even if it isn't covered, they have great repair service.

Former USSB uplink operator.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had the shop look at it and they declared it to be unfixable. The optical assembly is bad and a replacement is unobtanium. So I'm now in the market for another projector.

What current 3 LCD projectors have equivalent specs as far as black levels (75,000-1), lens shift, and doing 1080P/24 correctly (no interpolation or 3/2 pulldown)? (I have zero interest in 3D). Seems all the Epson UB models are long discontinued and hard to find even used. Or has DLP progressed in the past 8 years (I saw it in 2005 and absolutely hated the rainbows) to merit another look also?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Even though I own three projectors, two of them 6500UB's I am waiting for the
new LED/LASER no bulb projectors. Looks like View Sonic and Panasonic have
release dates in a few months.

I would wait to buy for now.

If you need something for the interim I would pick up an Epson 8350 with a 2 year warranty.
Some times less than $1,000.00 new.

I have several friends very happy with this projector, for the price you can't beat it.
Yes the black level is a little less but my friends haven't complained one bit about it.

Save your money for the no bulb models this Xmas..
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

The technology seems interesting as I'm underwhelmed with current projector technology, but some of the specs look horrid, looking around I find specs at 4000-1 contrast for the Viewsonic compared to the 75000-1 on the Epson UB series. I thought DLP technology produced superior blacks compared to LCD. Or am I missing something? And most important are these going to be sanely priced compared to metal halide type projectors?

As a side note, after my old projector was in the shop they broke it further. Originally the screen was crooked which they couldn't fix because the optical assembly was bad but now there's also pink band on top.

My sister didn't mind the crooked screen but I considered it unnacceptable which is why I brought it into the first place. It's not like they could do anything, but do I have grounds to complain anyway. I did mistakenly say "yes" when the guy dropping it off asked if the pink banding was the problem, I thought he meant the convergence was 1 pixel off which is they way it might have been, not that there was a 200 pixel or so wide band at the top
Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 AM

I'm very surprised Epson service did not offer you an upgrade price discount
for a new or replacement projector?

I would call them back and ask for a supervisor if your interested?

They might give you a one?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I actually had a local shop look at it.

I've decided to take a pass at waiting for LED + Laser because I can't get a clear answer how much it will cost or if there will still be rainbows and try to buy used Epson 3-LCD unit of eBay. Were enough improvements made to the 8500UB and 8700UB to make it worthwhile to get one of those as opposed to another 6500UB?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM

You can still pick up an 8700UB with full 2 year Epson warranty for around $1600.00 delivered.
That is still way less than I paid for my first 6500UB by more than a thousand dollars.

I would be very happy to have one:)