Crunch Time. Which One... I've researched, just want to make the right move - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading and researching and looking and blah blah blah. I've got a dedicated room. 1 tiny 1ft tall x 2ft wide basement window, easily covered with a curtain. The room is 12 x 18. I'm going long ways through the room, but only want a 96"-100" screen. I will be ceiling mounting the projector. I'm building my own fixed screen, got that covered. Got a Sony HTR-720 off amazon for $129 brand new (couldn't pass that up). I haven't picked Paint colors yet, but I'm willing to paint whatever colors it takes to get the job done. I will be putting up acoustic panels aswell as I record music and already have them. Also have a G27 Racing wheel that will find its way into the room one way or another.

I will be hooking up a DirecTV HD DVR, a PS3, a Wii, and my computer for gaming aswell. All sources will be HDMI to the receiver and 1 HDMI out to the Projector.

My choices have come down to cheaper units as I don't need to start myself into the Projector world with a High End Unit. My Main TV is a Samsung 6176s DLP (modded to use Mitsu 3D box before mitsu decided to unlock it). I love DLPs. I'll stick with the technology, I'm just not impressed with the Plasmas and LCDs my friends have. (most 2-4 years old)

I do have Optoma DLP Link Glasses for my Samsung TV, but there aren't any choices that I've found under $1000 that will use the glasses off the PS3 or DirecTV box without help.

This is where I need help. I don't know if I'm concerned about 1080p? I love Gran Turismo 5 and Planet Earth Blu-Rays, but is it worth the extra hundreds? I have very few Blu-Rays, but do rent 1080p movies from DirecTV (only because I can) but all broadcasting and most games don't cross 720p.

For $540 I can have an Optoma HD66 and probably be more than happy. The optoma GT750E can use my glasses right out of the box, but for the cost difference I can get the Optoma 3D box and HD66 and will have a better unit. I don't want to have black lines associated with 1280x800 instead of 720. The Acer H6500 is in the Top 5 on Projector Central's reviews, BUT then I'm trading picture for 3D. I'm really not that concerned about the 3D, but don't want to miss out. A 100" 3D movie on a black wall might make my 61" in front of a white wall look like a joke. I just saw the Viewsonic Pro8200. I'm gonna read a little more about that one now. EDIT - AND now i'm seeing the BenQ w710st. I feel like that's gonna be it. Let me know if that's a bad choice

HD66 - GT750E - H6500 - Pro8200 - W710ST - other suggestions? I'm not trying to cross the $800 mark, but it's not out of the question. And the less I spend the better the wife will be. But she thinks I'm an idiot for doing this anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

wow... no replies...

I bought the BenQ w710st.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM

i to have been looking around. i have a few months before i can make my setup. but i actually hadn't looked into the benq w710st. it looks good 10,000:1 contrast ratio. 2500 lumens. 6000 hour life on eco mode. lamps are around 170 bucks. and the thing is only 650 on newegg. it sounds to good. did you just order it? because i would like to see some video from you. or screen shots.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page