AE-700 Screen Blotches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My ancient AE700 has been degrading for awhile now. Recently, we went from a blue tinge in the lower left corner that was terrible but livable. The bulb has well over 2000 hours on it and I figured that was the problem.

So, I went to buy a new bulb but after some research, I find that the issue might not be the bulb at all. The suggestion was that the light engine needed to be replaced. Am I correct that a new bulb (and housing) does NOT include a new light engine?

If so, is it time to just toss the AE700? It's been a workhorse and the only piece from my in a previous home that survived a basement flood (6' of water). Budget is *very* tight and a new bulb can be had these days for just over $100.

Advice?

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's sounds like a dust blob or dead pixel. A light engine is NOT part of the bulb assembly.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1369211

read from around post #8

Could you post a few photos of what your screen looks like with a white or a light background? Also could you post photos with the focus all the way in and all the way out so we can look for dust spots. My Guess is some moisture and dust made it past the filters in has lodged itself on the optics.

Bohanna
post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The correct term is OPTICAL engine. It is the section that actual produces the image and includes all the optics. But the lamp is NOT part of that assembly.

Optical engines are very expensive and if it came to that, it is usually cheaper to buy a new projector.

And as you have discovered, any discoloration or other anomalies in the image will NOT be cured by replacing the lamp.

Also, I would caution you AGAINST buying a lamp that is that cheap. Those are generics or so-called "compatibles" and usually AREN'T compatible. These forums are full of reports from those who tried to save a few bucks and wasted their money as the lamps usually only worked for a hundred hours or so.

The correct OEM lamp for your projector is about $250 - $300.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page