Epson 8350 or Viewsonic Pro8200 as backup to Panasonic AR100U? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to send in my 4 month old Panny ar100u to be serviced due to a pink tinting of the left half the screen. We use this projector as our main TV and waiting a week+ for the return will not do. I want to get a back up anyway. Actually the Panny may become the backup. We will be using the backup in these conditions:

50% day and 50% night viewing
60 % HDTV, 30% Movies, 10% sports, 0% gaming
Cathedral ceiling mount so can mount high if needed
Mounted at 13 ft from screen
120", 16:9 perlux silver screen with 1.4 gain

Which would you all get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

No replies yet and another question

Coderguy's elite projector calculator figures that with the Pro8200 after 500 hours on the bulb that I will still have a whopping 26 FL while viewing at night. I know I could use a neutral filter to knock it down but would rather not take it off and on for day and night use.

Would this be a problem for night watching?

Thanks again.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

The silence is deafening!! Maybe I will just yield to the voices I hear and get the Epson 5010!
post #4 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM

Heres a response. How do u like the Panasonic? seems like my usage would be similar to yours nearly being a main tv. Ill have light from windows..
post #5 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 151
If you have enough budget to buy the 8350, and since you do ZERO gaming, I would actually go a different route. I don't know if you are a 3D fan, but I thought I didn't like it, but some stuff in 3D is really neat. There are several 720p 3D DLP projectors that would make a great backup unit and save you money over 1080p, like the Optoma GT750.

Or... If you want the best image for a backup unit that is VERY bright and you will do ZERO gaming, the Benq w1200 would be my choice. I would also look in the refurb market for an Epson 6500ub or 8500ub or similar, so as to potentially get a projector with better blacks, since that is what you are lacking in the image with the Panny.

Overall, if I had to pick, I would weight a 720p 3D projector the highest, then follow that with the Benq w1200. Finally the 8350 or Pro8200 is nearly a tie with ZERO gaming, but since the 8350 has placement flexibility and better blacks than the VS or your current Panny, given your usage, I would probably take a chance on the 8350 and hope to get one with good convergence. Now the Viewsonic destroys the 8350 in brightness in best mode, but the 8350 has a decent torch mode. The Viewsonic is more film-like, but the 8350 has the placement flexibility which really comes in handy for a backup projector.

Most of the time I recommend the Viewsonic is going to be because of gaming usage (DLP just feels more fluid in gaming, regardless of lag time), but without gaming it's a tougher call and the 8350 has some advantages over it if you get good convergence. However, I would pick the Benq w1200 over the VS Pro8200 or 8350 every time even though it costs $100+ more.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4242 View Post

Heres a response. How do u like the Panasonic? seems like my usage would be similar to yours nearly being a main tv. Ill have light from windows..

I really like the Panasonic. Very bright and looks good even with all the lights on and some light coming from outside. At night move the mode to REC709 and it looks good there too. I originally tried an Epson 8700ub which looks fantastic with no lights at night but I felt really lacked the horse power for the 50% of the time we have ambient light flying around the room. Overall the Panasonic gave us the least compromises in one projector for both night and day viewing.

It was not until I recently got into calibrating displays that I found that large areas of the Panasonic had gotten a pink cast to it. I don't exactly know when or how it happened but it is there. Still very watchable but irritating. It is worse after calibration than without. Anyway, Panasonic Service did not even have me do any troubleshooting.... just send it in for servicing. I hope to get it back and it perform as it should without the pink tint.

Again, overall I think that the Panasonic AR100U is the best projector for both day/ambient light and night viewing in one projector. The best of both worlds would be to have a two projector set up like Coderguy but my wife would have a cow with two projectors hanging out in the living room!!

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiraclejr View Post

The best of both worlds would be to have a two projector set up like Coderguy but my wife would have a cow with two projectors hanging out in the living room!!

Hope this helps.

The title of the post was for a second projector though. I guess you meant only as a backup, then for sure buy a cheap 720p 3D one, don't waste your time or money on more expensive projectors just for a backup.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

@ Coderguy:

Thanks for your informed input. I was hoping to draw a response from you.

I looked at the 720p 3D projectors and noticed that with most if not all of them I would have to move my ceiling mount further away from the screen to get the 120" diagonal needed. I don't relish the thought getting back up there and moving things around or explaining to my wife why I need to make another whole in the ceiling. My wife does not like 3D at all so I would have to be a closet 3Der too. I do like the cost and 3D (for myself) factors but overall I think the BenQ 1200 or Epson 8350 would be a better fit if not for my wallet.

All that said, I just went ahead and ordered the BenQ 1200 today from Amazon. The Panasonic was my first projector and along with the BenQ1200 being a backup I really was curious to see what a DLP looks like.

By the way, if you don't mind a little off topic, how do you have your two projector setup organized? Is it in one room or two? How mounted? etc?

Thanks for all your sage advice and for the use of your elite projector calculator. It is very helpful.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The title of the post was for a second projector though. I guess you meant only as a backup, then for sure buy a cheap 720p 3D one, don't waste your time or money on more expensive projectors just for a backup.

No, I guess to be more clear I am looking for a nice second, reasonably priced projector. The new projector may become the main tv or just a back up. It depends on which one we like better. Ultimately I expect to buy an Epson 5010 class projector or have a two projector set up and keep either the Panasonic or BenQ as the backup. But for now which ever of two currently owned projectors we like better will become the main tv and the other the backup. Sorry if I did not express my intentions clearly.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is how I do the mounting, I use wire shelves at the back of the room...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post22017927

The obvious limitation to the above method is (1) aesthetics and (2) if a projector has too short of a throw then it won't fit right without projecting a larger image. You can floor mount a short-throw PJ inside a hollow coffee table though.

I am about to try something new though, I'm going to install a projector at the top of the wire shelf onto a swivel mount made for an LCD TV (non-motorized only cost $30), right now I just use a wood platform that screwed into the top of the shelf (and I set a DLP upside down on top of the platform using PC-like rubber feet to adjust). However, if the TV swivel mount works well converted to a PJ mount, then I am going to likely buy (2) motorized LCD swivel TV mounts eventually, and I will be able to have (2) DLP's that move laterally to change positions when I need to switch which DLP I am watching (haven't tried it yet though). Almost like (2) giant robot arms on the top of a shelf

Not sure how I'll affix the PJ to a "tv mount", but most likely a rubber vice grip with bungee cables in a cross-pattern, or I'll just build a rectangular box around the PJ and then affix it with custom mount holes. There are some projector mounts that allow DLP's to be shelf mounted upside down even if they are not meant to be done that way normally, but I think they are expensive that is why I will probably just build another one myself.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Liked: 12
Wow, a youtube video of it in action may need to be in order once that project is done! Sounds cool.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the two projector setup. I will have to give my wife a year or two to get used to the one projector. By then maybe the perfect single projector will be out but who knows. Thanks again for that info.

By the way I have had a full day with the W1200 and once I figured out I needed to up the hdmi amp to 3 everything has looked good. I do think I am somewhat susceptible to rainbows though. During the day no rainbows but at night with no lights, at times when I move my eyes to different parts of the screen I can see them. I move my eyes back and forth on purpose and can make myself see them easily. I am going to try this W1200 out for a few weeks and see how much and often they bother me. No one else in the family has said a word about them.

Thanks again for all the help. It really is greatly appreciated.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Most likely the brightness is too high, that is what causes RBE to be more significant. Try getting you a $50 ND filter from B&H Photo Video or a camera shop.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well I watched 2 parts of the Hatfields and Mcoys last night and figured out two things. One, that series with a calibrated W1200 looks absolutely amazing (grayscale nirvana) except for #2. No. 2 is that I definitely see rainbows. So much so that it is very distracting to an otherwise beautiful picture. I saw the RBE with just about every blink of my eyes and any time I moved my eyes to look at a particular place on the 120" screen. I tried to move my eyes slowly as to not be about to see the RBE but I still saw them. I know that only 1 in say 20 see them but I believe I am definitely the one. Very discouraging since that takes away about half the choices out there for projectors. I can't express enough how good the calibrated W1200 looked except for my rainbows.

I guess I could consider getting the ND filter for night time viewing (projector already in cinema mode, lamp on eco, and calibrated) but since the projector is ceiling mounted and I need all the brightness I can get for the daytime/lights, it would be a pain to put on and take off all the time. I think I am just suited more for a LCD instead. Sucks for me!!!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Since I think I am in the market for a non DLP at this point with the same criteria in the original post what would be recommended? I don't really want to start another thread so am asking here.

I am now looking at the Epson 8350, Epson 8700 again (already tried but a little lacking in daytime brightness) or maybe the LG CF181D. Maybe moving a little bit away from the original backup intent but at least will have two projectors for when one goes down.

Darn those rainbows!

Thanks again.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need to make a new thread?

Really now I guess I'm interested in the brightest (for daytime) non- DLP projector that also looks great at night (good blacks, colors) and is say <$1600 or so.

The more I read the new requirements the more I think I need a new thread. Let's see what responses I get before I do that.

Thanks.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hopefully your Ar100u you will get back soon, then you are set. If I were you, I'm not sure I would get 2nd backup from the same tech level within the same year. You just bought your pana, so enjoy it and in 2 years , new PJ's will be better and cheaper and you can then use the pana as backup.
Now if you need second PJ, maybe think LED 300/500 lumen portable for your bedroom/den , it is cheaper, 30,000 hours on bulb, at least check them out. You already have a great PJ you just bought, the led you could use the crap out of and save the pana for special viewing. Take your time and have fun researching.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Pro8200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page