Epson 8350 Questions - Best Choice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am building a projection setup for the first time in my basement. I am looking for an HD projector like the Epson 8350 (or Panny/NEC equivalent - are they better? I have no need for HD and want good bang for buck). I have a few noob questions.

I plan to flush mount the projector on the ceiling. I can mount it as close or as far as needed (room dimensions are 22' by 14'. There are 10-foot ceilings). Is it better to mount close or far away for best performance on a 110" screen? If I were to mount it at the back of the room on a shelf (22' throw) would there be a brightness degradation?

I ask this because I used the online projector tool (cant post link) and it seemed like brightest performance was if it was placed close.

Also, If I offset the projector to the side, does it impact performance? This would allow me to better hide it and it appears the Epson allows some offset. All things equal, I will do this.

Is 110" the right sized screen for this room? What is the rule of thumb - 1:1 viewing distance for HD quality?

Finally - any suggestions on a utilitarian mount?

Thanks!

Andrew

--------------------------------

This is a better Q for the screens forum and I will post there but help is appreciated - I am really lost on the screen thing.

The room has some small windows (it is a basement, they are small windows) but direct sunlight is not a problem. And the screen will be used mostly at night. I would like an in-expensive screen, it does not have to be retractable but nice if it was, but it needs to work with my 10' ceilings. I plan to have a 110" screen 42" off the floor, which means there is 2-3 feet of space at the top of the wall that will not receive projection. The walls are wood, so I need a screen. Do screens usually have excess material so the 16:9 projection area can hang several feet below the screen mount? Or will I need to mount the screen a few feet short of the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM

If you have the time, go through the entire Epson 8350 thread, almost every question has been answered or at least discussed in that thread. In your first paragraph, you said you had not interest in HD.......is that correct? Why bother with the 8350 if high defintion is not your goal? You could certainly spend a lot less with less resolution if 1280x720 or 1920x1080 isn't a priority.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeboy View Post

If you have the time, go through the entire Epson 8350 thread, almost every question has been answered or at least discussed in that thread. In your first paragraph, you said you had not interest in HD.......is that correct? Why bother with the 8350 if high defintion is not your goal? You could certainly spend a lot less with less resolution if 1280x720 or 1920x1080 isn't a priority.

I am sorry, I meant no need for 3D.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM

You can't really offset the projector too much off center. There is a dial that allows the image to be tilted up and down, and left to right, but if it all possible, try not to do that since it does affect the image quality. The closer the better, you want to maximize the light output. The quality of the image will depend more on the room controls, such as wall color, reflections off of surfaces, and obviously ambient light. The more control you have, the better the projector is going to look. What you will notice is the more lights you have on or can't control, will adversely affect the overall contrast. I have 10 foot ceilings as well, and in my case, it works perfect in that I had about a foot drop from the ceiling to the projector mount. I didn't have to use either of the position dials. The Epson is flexible compared to others I've owned. As far as how far back you can sit from the size you want, only YOU can decide that. I wouldn't buy any screen until you get the projector. If possible, just project it on a wall or sheet to see what is comfortable for you and the family. People can throw any size they want, they just have to like it.......give yourself the option to choose. I thought I wanted a huge screen too initially, in the end, 87x49 was more than big enough at my viewing distance. As far as mount, I bought one from mono price, then modded it with hardware from home depot. Mount was $10.00, and more than does the job.........just depends on how handy you are. There are videos on youtube that easily show you how to build your own with about $5.00 in hardware from Home Depot or whatever is near by. Good Luck!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page