Very RBE sensitive, low ceiling, want to upgrade my 480p projector but my screen almost touches the celing, any LCD 720p that will fit? I'm at a loss.. Drawing included. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a Panasonic PT-L200U that has been amazing for 10 full years. But only 480p. I can't do DLP because I see bad rainbows at least up to 5x color wheel the Optoma hd66 I tested had. The main problem is the shape of my room. Low ceilings, require a screen that is almost to the top. Seeing most projectors now require it mounted above or below the entire screen. They use to have to be withing the screens top of bottom... Pic descibes better. I dont want to pay a ton for lens shift when I really just mount it and forget it. LED just didnt make sense yet because I dont travel with it, so I dont need the small size.
Also, Component input would mean more flexability for me as my switch box is set to that. Could upgrade to HDMI if there is a worth while projector tho.

Can ceiling mount anywhere back to 14 foot, and my fixed screen is 109 or 110 inches diag. Black room, so ambient is zero issue. Price range def under 1k, prefer a decent amount under 1k. I might be able to handle dlp if it was 6x+ and possibly 7 segment. But then probably over my 1k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Optoma hd66 is only a 3x color wheel.

I would look into the Epson 8350 LCD, other than that, you could try a Viewsonic Pro8200 as it has a 7-segment 4x color wheel, and since the blacks are so-so, well the RBE is very mild, it has the least RBE of every projector under $1500. On the VS, you'd probably still see RBE on credits and a few rare instances, but I'm sure not nearly as bad as you saw it on the hd66.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Epson 8350 looks perfect. Wasn't even looking at that since it was over 1k, but it is barely over and 1080p LCD also. Lenshift looks impressive on it as it says it can go up or down almost the distance of the screen. However, it lists 2 offsets, A and B, A being above the center line and B below. A of 25inchs at my throw distance and b at 71 inches... Not sure why it shows 2 offsets... I am ceiling mounting it and it sounds like I should be able to shift it right up to the ceiling. If I read it all wrong please correct me.

But this looks like the prob for me, much appreciated coderguy!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
It has a center based offset, but it has so much lens shift that it will not be a problem.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 14
Two weeks ago I bought two HW300T projectors. Last week, I bought two more because I was extremely impressed.

Prior to those four projectors, I bought two refurbished Epson HC 720’s. I bought the Epson HC 720s for the following reasons:
1. The Epson warranty,
2. The price of the second unit was about the cost of a replacement lamp,
3. LCD technology (I am very sensitive to the rainbow effect in DLP technology)
4. Great reviews of picture quality
5. Flexible installation (zoom and lens shift).

When I received the Epson projectors I did not realize how big they were. Then I could not use the high brightness because it would reduce the lamp life. But not only that I truly hated the noise output in the higher brightness modes. I also realized that the projectors produce a significant amount of heat (my home is energy efficient).

So for the past eighteen months, I have logged about 200 hours on the Epson projectors. I wanted a replacement for them and the new LED based systems were coming online. The three main concerns for me with the LED projectors were the RBE (they were all DLP), the noise (tiny high revolution fans for some niche market), and low light output.

After months and months of reading (a special thanks to the HW300T thread creator), I decided to buy the HW300T because Fry’s was having an anniversary sale and I could rationalize buying two (for SBS 3D).

I prefer movies with subtitles so that compounded my concerns about RBE. On my HW300T, I can see them but only in very isolated situations and not enough to distract me from any movie I have watched thus far. When I use them on my extremely high gain (curved) screen then I do see more rainbows but again not enough to be distracted. When I used them in 3D mode the size of the screen is more of a distraction than rainbows. (The screen is 30 years old and from my days of using a modified TV and Fresnel lens to project a picture.)

The noise in the economy mode (the lowest light output) is masked by almost any sound but it is distracting if played in a dead room. It is on par with a quiet desktop computer.

The light output was the final concern. The brightest mode (I’m sure it is south of 300 lumens) has a much more pleasing picture but at the cost of a really annoying whir of the cooling fan. The same is true of the normal mode i.e. it is brighter but the noise while not annoying is more noticeable. I use the economy mode because it produces a pleasant picture.

I currently have three units set up in my house: bedroom (72 inches wide), living room (160 inches wide) and family room (80 inches wide). I use width because I watch movies mainly of 2.35 ratios, so I use the height of the movie to determine whether I move the projector. I found that the 16:10 ratio is too big to enjoy if I leave the projector optimized for my preferred 2.35 image size.

I do not have screens set up in any location, yet. I have the high gain screen to test 3D and light output. I project on white walls in non-light controlled environments and I am very, very impressed.

My ceilings are 10 feet so I do not ceiling mount. I plan to hide the units in little stand / coffee table along with my AO722 netbook to form a HTPC solution.

Every 10 inches in diagonal measure is about 10 inches required for projector displacement e.g. for a 50 inch diagonal picture set the projector (pj) approximately 50 inches from the screen or for a 100 inch picture set the pj 100 inches away. My projectors are between thirteen and twenty five inches from the floor.

I did not buy these projectors because of size. I wanted a device that I could turn on and not worry about the lamp going out. When I learned that LG included an ATSC tuner, I took that as a sign they had great confidence in the technology.

There was one consistent view among the user reviews I found: the image is pretty amazing. I totally concur. If you don’t try one of the LED projectors (especially considering that you have an optimized environment) I believe you will feel that you have done yourself a disservice.

One final thing that impressed me was I recode my movies in AVC format. The HW300t’s playback of low media files is extremely impressive on my 200 inch screen
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM

the BenQ w710st is a 6 segment color wheel and i watch this video of the w710st and i saw nothing but my friend watch it with me when he came over and he saw it. they say you cant see it in video but he did. i didn't
post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12345 View Post

the BenQ w710st is a 6 segment color wheel and i watch this video of the w710st and i saw nothing but my friend watch it with me when he came over and he saw it. they say you cant see it in video but he did. i didn't

What is "w710st"? Are you addressing RBE?

I took a chance on the DLP projector (HW300T) despite being extremely RBE (rainbow effect) sensitive.

In fact, I've been annoyed at the DLP technology because prior to LED projectors, I felt that the only way to enjoy the contrast of DLP technology was with 3 chip projectors.

I have seen the RBE recorded in video. So it is quantifiable. I have been trying to isolate the few instances where I now see it on my projector. So far it seems that contrast is just one component. My eyes seem to respond to certain colors more efficiently. And there seems to be a lag in my visual image processing (my right eye seems delayed). But for now all I have are just casual observations and since I am only casually distracted (unless I glance in the direction of my projector) that will do. I would trust a higher LED refresh rate rather than a mechanical wheel rotating faster.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page