Help me decide on a 3D projector- Optoma vs BenQ vs Epson - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which 3D Projector would you recommend?
Optoma HD3300 3 20.00%
BenQ W7000 4 26.67%
Epson HC5010 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am looking for a good 3D capable projector for my new dedicated theater in my new house. A few details about the setup: I have complete control over ambient light, and the screen will be a 16:9 135” DIY painted on a wall. The distance from the screen to my desired mounting location is about 20’.

I was not even originally looking to do a 3D setup, but the wife saw a few 3D rides recently when we were at universal studios in Orlando, and she really wants to do a 3D theater now. So if that’s what it takes to get her excited about my theater, I’ll take it. I wouldn’t mind a little future-proofing while I’m in the building stages now anyways.

After some research, I have narrowed my choices down to the following projectors:

A) Optoma HD3300
B) BenQ W7000
C) Epson HC5010

I am coming from a makeshift living room setup with an old Mitsubishi HD1000U at my old house to this, so I’m sure anything I get will be a huge upgrade. I just want to know of the ones listed above, which would you guys recommend? All seem to have very good reviews from what I can find, but any input on real world head to head comparison would be very valuable in my decision making. Or even experiences from those who have seen all the ones on my list (or any 2 of them even).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 11
You're the luckiest man in the world if you have a wife "that really wants a 3D theater." eek.gif So jealous.

It's great that you have a dedicated HT space. Your screen is decently large, so it will take some lumens to fill. How much ambient light would you have in the room? Plan on gaming or watching sports on this PJ?
post #3 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevychad View Post

I am looking for a good 3D capable projector for my new dedicated theater in my new house. A few details about the setup: I have complete control over ambient light, and the screen will be a 16:9 135” DIY painted on a wall. The distance from the screen to my desired mounting location is about 20’.
I was not even originally looking to do a 3D setup, but the wife saw a few 3D rides recently when we were at universal studios in Orlando, and she really wants to do a 3D theater now. So if that’s what it takes to get her excited about my theater, I’ll take it. I wouldn’t mind a little future-proofing while I’m in the building stages now anyways.
After some research, I have narrowed my choices down to the following projectors:
A) Optoma HD3300
B) BenQ W7000
C) Epson HC5010
I am coming from a makeshift living room setup with an old Mitsubishi HD1000U at my old house to this, so I’m sure anything I get will be a huge upgrade. I just want to know of the ones listed above, which would you guys recommend? All seem to have very good reviews from what I can find, but any input on real world head to head comparison would be very valuable in my decision making. Or even experiences from those who have seen all the ones on my list (or any 2 of them even).

3D is cool at Universal Studios
post #4 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post

You're the luckiest man in the world if you have a wife "that really wants a 3D theater." eek.gif So jealous.
It's great that you have a dedicated HT space. Your screen is decently large, so it will take some lumens to fill. How much ambient light would you have in the room? Plan on gaming or watching sports on this PJ?

Oh yeah, I have been getting resistance the whole way on this theater. "Why do you get the biggest room in the house!?" "Why do you need 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers?" "Thats too much money!"...etc. etc. I've run the gauntlet on gripes. But as soon as she experienced those rides, she was excited about the theater. Now she wants to know when its gonna be done. So I went from red light to green real fast. Had I known thats what itd take, we would have visited Orlando long ago LOL.

But to answer your questions, the projector will be used probably 90% movies, and 10% cable/ satellite. No gaming. There is only one window in the whole room (20'x30') and its small- like 12" x 20". And its at the back of the room. I can put a black out blind infront of it in the middle of summer on a sunny day and not be able to see anything! Its a greatly controlled light environment.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since your emphasis is on 3D, I'd pick the W7000. It seems to get the nod from Zombie10K. Check out this link. It covers two of the three projectors you're considering. DLP projectors handle 3D better than LCOS and LCD. So, of your three, that leaves the Optoma and BenQ. To me, the benefit of the Optoma would be the fact that it has a VESA sync port, so you can use universal rf glasses, like the Monster glasses. The BenQ uses DLP Link. The BenQ, however, appears to throw a better, brighter picture. Mind you, this opinion is just from reading reviews and various owner's threads, not from personal experience with these projectors. I own a JVC X70 and I would not recommend JVC for 3D.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link willscam. Great info there. Maybe I should have worded my posts earlier a little differently. I wouldnt necesarily say my emphasis is on 3D,... Most the movies we watch will be in 2D I imagine, but it would be nice to be able to have that 3D option, and may as well have a good 3D projector. Perhaps my emphasis will change though once I do have the 3D experience at home wink.gif

Id also like to mention that I LOVE the aesthetics of the W7000 most of all the 3 I listed, so thats another plus cool.gif
post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Couple comparisons done by Art, might help. http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w7000/competitors.php http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5010/competitors.php Maybe a slight edge to Benq for 2D and Epson for 3D. I might give the nod to Epson for support and bulb life myself, but I think either would be a nice pj to have. The Epson has a little brighter image for 3D, which is nice to have. I really enjoy watching 3D on my 6010, 14' throw, onto a 126" 1.3 gain screen. Enjoy the new theater!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and votes everyone. Looks like a tight race between yhe BenQ and the Epson.. For those who voted and have not already explained the reasons why you voted the way you dis, please elaborate. Keep the replies and votes coming guys, this is a very helpful thread for me!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like the votes thus far are pointing towards the Epson 5010. I am still on the fence, but now, I see that the street price for the BenQ has gone down which seperates the price yet further. It was a $300 difference before, but now its a $600 premium for the Epson over the BenQ (and for the Optoma for that matter).. I can still buy an extended warranty for the BenQ and come out way ahead financially.. This may be the deciding factor that tips the scales for me. Unless anyone can justify that the Epson is worth $600 more, but so far, all the reviews say the projectors are almost interchangeable. I need more than a slight 3D brightness advantage for $600.. Especially in my bat cave.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 10
After weeks of trying to decide between these projectors I finally ordered the Epson yesterday. I liked the warranty, the included 3d glasses, longer lamp life, bright picture, Epson customer service, and the generally good reviews it has received.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have never see the BenQ or Epson, I own the Optoma. My room is similar to yours, my screen is a diy 108" painted on the wall. I am very happy with my hd33. Never any ghosting, flashing or other wierd anomolys that I have heard about. My wife is now a believer as well and everyone who has seen my setup is blown away. Just curious, what are you using audio wise? Do you already have it?

post #12 of 15 Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.. I think I was a bit on the Epson side before I saw the price drop in the BenQ today, and now the decision just got harder.

As far as my audio, I do not have all of it yet, but I am planning on an 11.2 system consisting of speakercraft aim cinema ones for the left, right, left wide, and right wide; speakercraft aim LCR one for center, speakercraft aim dipoles for right and left surrounds and right and left backs, and speakercraft TIME 3's for the heights. The subs are BIC Acoustech H100's. I know these are not top of the line speakers, but I really like them for the price and aesthetics.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can't go wrong with either the W7000 or the Epson 5010 in my opinion. My reasons for choosing a W7000 over a 5010 would be for reasons not important to you such as input lag for gaming and DLP's doing 3D ghost free. I also lean towards DLP's for various reasons. But the 5010 has scored well with 3D testing and is said to have deeper blacks then the W7000 which is always good with projectors since they tend to be weak in blacks compared to HDTV's.
As close as it seems Art feels the W7000 and the 5010 are, if you are not RBE sensitive and the cost is $600 more for the 5010 I would grab a W7000, purely my opinion though.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not RBE sensative at all. My last pj was a DLP and I never had any issues with RBE.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Welp, looks like the general concensus judging by the votes is for the Epson. Maybe I should start trying to find some deals on the HC 5010. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a deal?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP