AE100 and Ebay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have found the panasonic AE100 on Ebay from 2 companies. One in Tennessee and one in California. They are about the same price. $1599. Does anyone have any experience with them? I believe the buy directly from Japan. Better yet does anyone have a location with a better price?

Thanks

JRK74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 09:58 AM

Ahhh Ebay... the epitome of a Capitalist Weasel activity breeding ground. Take a look at both of the listings for the AE100... both clearly state that they are Japanese units, and both are $100+ *more* than pj. com and that doesn't even include shipping! Also, they aren't offering any special warranty to help justify the extra cost.

Think of it this way... they are no different than me selling it to you for say, $1,500 (wow! what a bargain!). I could easily order it from pj. com for far less, get it in two days, then turn around and charge you even more for me to ship it to you.

Ken
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kenfab
Ahhh Ebay... the epitome of a Capitalist Weasel activity breeding ground. Take a look at both of the listings for the AE100... both clearly state that they are Japanese units, and both are $100+ *more* than pj. com and that doesn't even include shipping! Also, they aren't offering any special warranty to help justify the extra cost.

Think of it this way... they are no different than me selling it to you for say, $1,500 (wow! what a bargain!). I could easily order it from pj. com for far less, get it in two days, then turn around and charge you even more for me to ship it to you.

Ken
And the problem with that is???

Believe it or not, there are people out there (buyers) who

1. Don't have time to search for the best deal.
2. Aren't comfortable sending their money to someone in Japan.
3. Prefer to buy from sellers on ebay, for a variety of reasons.

Just like there are people who prefer to buy from HT dealers, and pay high prices, for perceived "service."

You could easily buy from pj.com, then sell it to the other person. But are you willing to deal with all the potential problems, as in if the buyer gets a bad unit? No, you aren't. But the sellers on ebay evidently *are* willing to do that. And they have every right to expect to paid for that.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 11:04 AM

LOL Let me guess, Rick, you're a seller on Ebay. Right? :rolleyes:

Ken
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOL Let me guess, Rick, you're a seller on Ebay. Right? :rolleyes:

Ken
LOL, let me guess, you're a disgruntled buyer on Ebay, right? :rolleyes:

To answer your question, yes, of course. For 4 years, all positive feedback, and no negatives. And so I take great offense to being called a Capitalist Weasel. Would you expect no one to be insulted by your thoughtless remark?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 12:21 PM

Rick, surely you don't think I intended my remark to pertain to *all* Ebay Vendors, do you? I'd even venture to guess that *most* (even though I have no proof, more of a gut feeling based upon experience with Humans in general ;) ) Ebay Vendors are honest, hard-working people.

That said, I'm not a disgruntled Ebay user (I've never purchased anything from Ebay), but I *have* witnessed first-hand too many weasel-like activities to ever consider trusting anyone there. Yes, it's very unfortunate, but the proverbial "Few Bad Apples" have spoiled the basket, in my opinion.

Here's one example of something that occurred a couple years back:
One of my co-workers was one of the original people to notice how lucrative it was to sell Everquest (an online Roleplaying Game) items. So, he quickly found out that by creating *tons* of bogus email addresses (and conning several of his peers to do the same) he could easily increase his Ebay rating to 100's of "positives" and ZERO "negatives". You can imagine the effect that had.

I trust you can see why I became quite cynical about the whole Ebay operation all those years ago... to this day there's *still* no way of proving whether the positive feedback is genuine or not.

There have been several other cases that I personally witnessed as well, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Again, please don't take it personally. I'm only stating fact, based upon my personal experience. I'd like to think that you are one of the Honest Ones! :)

Ken
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
To reply to the original thread:

Purchasing from the forum sponsor you :
-Can wire money to an American account in California
-Get a lower price with shipping included
-Buying from someone that has a great reputation with real people
-has a good guarantee against bad pixels

I think the decision is simple :)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I trust you can see why I became quite cynical about the whole Ebay operation all those years ago... to this day there's *still* no way of proving whether the positive feedback is genuine or not.

Again, please don't take it personally. I'm only stating fact, based upon my personal experience. I'd like to think that you are one of the Honest Ones! :)

Ken
Ok, I understand, now.

But just a note about feedback - several years ago you could leave feedback for anyone. Now, feedback must be tied to a completed auction, and only the high bidder and the seller can leave feedback for each other. So feedback is more likely to be genuine.

But there still is plenty of chicanery on Ebay. Shill bidders, bid shielding, etc.

There's also plenty of chicanery at Circuit City. I happen to think the density of weasels is much higher there than on ebay!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 06:31 PM

You can get a better deal buying from a certain Japan based sponsor of AVSforum than from those 2 sources on ebay. If you feel there are other advantages to justify the slightly higher price, it's still a good deal.

As far as there being evil "capitalist weasel" sellers on ebay, I would venture to say that every seller is there to make money. Even worse, it is the only imperative of any business. (even so called "non profit" businesses are fully occupied with fund raising).

Keith.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Yesterday I spoke to RKMedia, which is one of the ebay sellers. I did a search in paypal to find dealers of the AE100, he told me that he was an ebay seller.

I'm considering purchasing the AE100 from him. His price is higher yes, but at least I can speak to him on the phone. I asked him about his polity for repairs in warranty. He said that I would have to pay shipping one way to Japan for a return and he would get the RMA number from Panasonic to do the warranty return.

Is this worth the extra $300??? It is something that I'm debating and I hope to have my mind made up by tomorrow and place an order.

Another thing that RKMedia stated which I'm unsure of is that when you send money of the country you loose all control of it. Does anyone know if this is true? and does it make a difference?

Also does anyone know if I have to setup an account to use paypal or just fill in the order form?

Thanks,

John
post #11 of 12 Old 05-19-2002, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
JRK74

Your in Rochester:)

Where abouts.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is this worth the extra $300??? It is something that I'm debating and I hope to have my mind made up by tomorrow and place an order.
IMO, no. I own a Japanese AE100 and I have not had the misfortune of sending one back. I have read that it is much less than $300 for a round trip,so basically you're paying someone $300 more and then will have to pay even more $$ should the AE100 that you buy from him fails. By your description, the person that is selling it to you on e-bay is offering the same service that Kaneda has already offered (and sometimes better by offering a new replacement) to users on this forum that have experienced problems with their AE100's. The difference is the initial price is cheaper and you are dealing with someone who has shown that he is willing to work with you should you have any problems. If you buy from this guy on Ebay, how do you know he's not going to just take your money and run?

In the end, the choice is up to you, but for me the decision is clear.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page