HDMI long run with 3D projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on buying the Optoma HD33 and already have a 35 ft Blue Jeans HDMI cable running to a wall plate, then a 6ft monoprice HDMI cable to the receiver. Has anyone had a run this long or longer with 3D and had no issues? Just curious, since Blue Jeans says up to 25ft is high speed and after that they're normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You should be OK using the 35 ft. HDMI cable plus the 6 ft. drop. The HDMI cerftification limits a high speed rating for conventional HDMI cables to 25 ft. while many longer (e.g., 35 ft.) cables will have no problem handling 3D. For example the monoprice 22 gauge HDMI cables in the 35 ft. length will generally work just fine for 3D. You may be able to do a quick test before you even upgrade to a 3D projector. If your current projector supports 1080p/60 inputs then set your connected 2D blu-ray player to output in 1080p/60 and also turn deep color on if both the player and the current projector can support deep color. If you don't already have a 1080p capable projector then a 1080p flat panel display (if you have one) could be used instead for testing of the HDMI cable. The HDMI bandwidth for 2D video at 1080p/60 with deep color is the maximum for any current consumer HD format and is more than required for 3D. 3D video from a blu-ray is limited to 1080p/24 and with the "frame packing" signal format used for 3D only requires about 50% more HDMI bandwidth than for 2D 1080/24 and less than requried for 2D 1080p/60..

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't test with my current projector. It was fried in a lightning/surge. frown.gif
And the PS3 was fried as well
post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

does anyone have a similar setup?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 52
Current formats such as 1080P/60 and 3D use less than half of HDMI bandwidth spec. If you are trying to future proof I'd run conduit if possible. If you think you are going to doing 4K2K in the near future I'd look for a solution rated for full bandwidth such as a balun. The high speed spec is tested at full bandwidth and ~25ft is about the limit for full bandwidth but current consumer standards use less than half that so longer runs are possible..

If you are just worried about today a 35ft cable would be fine. I'd eliminate wall plates and port savers. Every connection changes impedance which can cause problems. Direct runs are best with HDMI use a pass through plate.

We do this for a living and I have a lot of experience with digital signaling. If you are looking for a good cable use one that has passed DPLs testing. It is tougher than HDMI's specs and you know it will perform well. I've seen others in tests and they don't test as well. Some can be found very reasonably priced.
http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products

hope this helps.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm running over 40' of Monoprice 24 AWG cable that includes 2 couplers and a "port saver" cable. NO problem running 3D to my Epson 3010. You'll be fine.smile.gif

Ed
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Hi, I think you should be fine up to 50' with good AWG wire. I'm running 75' 22 or 24 AWG from HTPC to Epson 5010, I do have ocasional "black outs" but seem they are more soft related PDVD 12 and more on TMT 5. When I did borrowed samsung player I didn't had any.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page