BenQ W7000 vs. JVC DLA-HD250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Now that my trusty InFocus SP7210 720p DLP projector is constantly "chainsaw buzzing", I'm looking to replace it with something new. Although I had originally planned to keep the cost under $2K CDN (I was eyeing the Epson 8350), I've decided to max out at $2,500 CDN (taxes and shipping all in). A bit of reading has brought me to the BenQ W7000 and the JVC DLA-HD250.

Both PJs are well-rated and feature good contrast ratios, good colours and contrast, and pretty solid reliability. The JVC is availble at a local A/V shop for ~$2,200, while the W7000 is availble from an on-line retailer (Complete-IT.ca) for ~$2,300.

My seating position is ~15' back from a 100" white, 1.0-gain, fixed-frame Grandview screen. The mounting point for the PJ will likely be close to where my current on is, which is ~2' back and 5' above my head (the ceiling is 7.5' high).

What I like about each model
BenQ
- DLP PQ
- highly-adjustable

JVC
- excellent native contrast
- very quiet

What causes some concern about each model
BenQ
- loud fan
- auto-iris noise
- possibility that the lens will shift/move/sag out of position

JVC
- panel mis-alignment
- "pink stripe" issue

Am I missing any positive features that might tip the scales toward one of the two PJs, or any negative features / issues that might tip the scales away from one of them? Are the issues I've read about (on this site and in reviews, like the ones at projectorcentral and projectorreviews) worth putting a lot of weight on? Or are they the typical "you hear about the few problem units and not the countless ones that work flawlessly" situation?

I'd appreciate any constructive thoughts or comments you may have.

Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it looks like I'll be going with the W7000. smile.gif
post #3 of 24 Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, as I was getting set to purchase the W7000, two things happened:

1. I saw an ad for a minty-mint W6000 with warranty remaining. I called BenQ to find out if the warranty could be transferred and then, just to confirm what I was told over the phone, I had an on-line chat with a BenQ CSR. In both cases, the answer was 'no', even though:
- the vendor is the original purchaser;
- he bought the W6000 from an authorized retailer; and
- he has the original bill of sale.

However, the on-line CSR did say that if the vendor owns a company that sells computer products, and if he's willing to issue an invoice to me, through his company, for the purchase of his PJ, BenQ will accept that invoice as a proof of purchase. But they won't accept the original bill of sale from the authorized retailer as proof of sale. WTF?!

2. FutureShop.ca's weekly flyer came out and there was a deal on the Epson 8345 (reg. $1,299): the PJ + a mount + a 100" manual screen for $1,249. So, I went to the store and asked the sales guy if he could do a deal just on the PJ. The guy typed some stuff into his terminal and sold me the PJ for $1,020 + tax. (I was billed $1,249 + tax for all three items, but then he walked me up to the Customer Service desk where we "returned" the mount and the screen - which he hadn't bothered to bring out from the stock-room - and I left the store with the PJ for $1,020 + tax.)

So, I currently have an Epson 8345 sitting in my basement. My plan is to set it up on an elevated stand/table just behind my seats, to hook it up to my older Sony BDP, and to do some basic calibration. Then I will use my copy of "The Incredible Hulk" on BD, plus my buddy's BD copy of it, and A/B the Epson with my SP7210 (hooked up to my OPPO BDP-83) with the same movie on the same screen. (If the Epson has a similar function to the InFocus' "black screen" mode - which lets you toggle the picture on/off - that'll help make the A/B-ing a little easier.)

More info to come... smile.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice setup you have there! The Epson 8345 is a VERY low contrast projector. You could have bought an Epson 8350 for the same price. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the older Infocus. Better yet snatched a refurbished JVC HD250 off eBay for a little more. My guess is the Infocus will still look better overall compared to the Epson.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice setup you have there!
Thanks! smile.gif
Quote:
You could have bought an Epson 8350 for the same price.
Maybe in the States, but up here in Canada the 8350 sells for ~$1,300 + tax.
Quote:
The Epson 8345 is a VERY low contrast projector. ... It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the older Infocus. ... My guess is the Infocus will still look better overall compared to the Epson.
You may very well be right, and this is what I'm really curious to find out. smile.gif According to ProjectorCentral.com, the contrast ratio for:
- the SP7210 is 2800:1 (brightness is 1100/970 lumens); and
- the TW3200 (see below) is 25,000:1 (brightness is 1800 lumens).

The reviews of the TW3200 - which, according to this thread, is the Euro version of the 8345 - are generally pretty positive:
- http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/projectors/1282222/epson-eh-tw3200
- http://www.trustedreviews.com/Epson-EH-TW3200_Projector_review
Quote:
Better yet snatched a refurbished JVC HD250 off eBay for a little more.
Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with refurb, but I prefer to stick to new (or to gently-used, if I can demo it and it has some warranty left on it).

As it is, if the Epson turns out not to be a noticeable (or better) upgrade to my InFocus, I'm prepared to spend the extra $$ and get the W7000.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Quote:
Nice setup you have there!
Thanks! smile.gif
Quote:
You could have bought an Epson 8350 for the same price.
Maybe in the States, but up here in Canada the 8350 sells for ~$1,300 + tax.
Quote:
The Epson 8345 is a VERY low contrast projector. ... It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the older Infocus. ... My guess is the Infocus will still look better overall compared to the Epson.
You may very well be right, and this is what I'm really curious to find out. smile.gif According to ProjectorCentral.com, the contrast ratio for:
- the SP7210 is 2800:1 (brightness is 1100/970 lumens); and
- the TW3200 (see below) is 25,000:1 (brightness is 1800 lumens).
The reviews of the TW3200 - which, according to this thread, is the Euro version of the 8345 - are generally pretty positive:
- http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/projectors/1282222/epson-eh-tw3200
- http://www.trustedreviews.com/Epson-EH-TW3200_Projector_review
Quote:
Better yet snatched a refurbished JVC HD250 off eBay for a little more.
Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with refurb, but I prefer to stick to new (or to gently-used w/ warranty).
As it is, if the Epson turns out not to be a noticeable (or better) upgrade to my InFocus, I'm prepared to spend the extra $$ and get the W7000.

A refurb is a gently used item, that has been checked by a technician with a warranty.smile.gif
Don't be fooled by those inflated numbers. The actual native contrast won't be any where near 25,000:1. It will be more like 1000:1 when all is said and done.
Good luck with the scientific experiment. wink.gif
post #7 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I late this morning I went downstairs and:
- hooked up the Sony BD player to the Epson and set it to output 1080p;
- fired up the PJ (it's so quiet!);
- ensured that it was in focus (I swear there's no pun there! wink.gif); and
- blacked out my windows (not quite bat-cave black, but pretty dark).

The Epson's on-screen menu is really straightforward and user-friendly. I set the picture mode to "Cinema" and threw in the first demo disc: "The Police: Certifiable". As far as concert BDs go, "Certifiable" is a 10/10 for PQ (and for AQ, too). Using "Cinema" mode, I found the colours to be crisp and vibrant. Sharpness was good, blacks looked black, and contrast looked pretty similar to what I'm used to.

I cycled through the other picture options:
- "Dynamic" boosted light output and really caused things to pop. I suspect that this mode and "Living Room" would be the preferred modes for rooms w/ some amount of ambient light.
- "Natural" didn't look too different from "Cinema", while "x.v. Colour" caused everything to look a little more "drab".

Next up: "The Dark Knight", chapters 20-21 (the whole convoy scene right up to the rig flipping over). These scenes are generally quite dark, and I've always thought my InFocus could be doing a bit better with contrast. As far as I could tell, the Epson managed to at least equal it for contrast. (I can't say for certain, as I didn't A/B the clip with the InFocus, but I plan to have a look at the clip again later tonight.)

So, as far as colours, black and contrast go, I'm pretty impressed with the Epson so far. And that's straight out of the box. I didn't notice any panel mis-alignment issues (but I'll be looking more closely for that later) or any motion blur. I thought I might have detected a bit of softness in a couple of scenes on "Certifiable" but, since everything else looked sharp, it's likely that the softness was part of the source material and not the fault of the Epson. I'll be able to confirm that, too, when I A/B the two PJs.

Oh, and it turns out that the Epson does have a black-out mode, so this will make A/B-ing even easier! smile.gif
post #8 of 24 Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had some time to spare this afternoon, so I went downstairs to do a bit of basic calibration on the Epson (brightness, contrast, sharpness and tint) using my DVE disc. As it turns out, it was bang on on all counts...although there was one unfortunate issue, which I'll get to in a moment. I also double-checked the InFocus, to make sure everything was still in order, and it was. Both PJs have terrific colours, sharpness, blacks and contrast.

The issue: I noticed a narrow yellow stripe running down the left side of the image. This was evident whenever lighter colours & whites were present on that side of the screen. I noticed it when I was using the DVE calibration disc and, just to be sure it wasn't an upconversion issue, I popped in my OPPO's Spears & Munsil BD calibration disc. Same thing. So, this unit will be going back to FS, possibly for an exchange (followed by a re-test).

Anyway, that stripe was no reason to stop testing, so I popped "The Incredible Hulk" BD into both players and, since bright or well-lit scenes are not at all an issue with either PJ, I picked a couple of darker scenes to demo:
- the "cave" scene (shortly after General Ross attempts to kill Hulk at the college campus, Hulk and Betty are in a cave during a rainstorm); and
- the scene toward the end of the movie where Hulk and Abomination are fighting among the ruins of an old building.

In both cases, blacks and contrast were comparable between the two PJs. Both images were sharp and, again, there was no discernible motion blur or softness with the Epson.

My conclusion: Assuming you get a unit without any issues (yellow stripe, panel mis-alignment, etc.), the Epson 8345 makes an excellent first-time projector and even a very good replacement for an older PJ.

Sure, it's not the best PJ out there but, seriously, for $1,020 + tax on its own - or for $1,249 + tax including a 100" screen and a PJ mount - it's well worth the money.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had some time to spare this afternoon, so I went downstairs to do a bit of basic calibration on the Epson (brightness, contrast, sharpness and tint) using my DVE disc. As it turns out, it was bang on on all counts...although there was one unfortunate issue, which I'll get to in a moment. I also double-checked the InFocus, to make sure everything was still in order, and it was. Both PJs have terrific colours, sharpness, blacks and contrast.
The issue: I noticed a narrow yellow stripe running down the left side of the image. This was evident whenever lighter colours & whites were present on that side of the screen. I noticed it when I was using the DVE calibration disc and, just to be sure it wasn't an upconversion issue, I popped in my OPPO's Spears & Munsil BD calibration disc. Same thing. So, this unit will be going back to FS, possibly for an exchange (followed by a re-test).
Anyway, that stripe was no reason to stop testing, so I popped "The Incredible Hulk" BD into both players and, since bright or well-lit scenes are not at all an issue with either PJ, I picked a couple of darker scenes to demo:
- the "cave" scene (shortly after General Ross attempts to kill Hulk at the college campus, Hulk and Betty are in a cave during a rainstorm); and
- the scene toward the end of the movie where Hulk and Abomination are fighting among the ruins of an old building.
In both cases, blacks and contrast were comparable between the two PJs. Both images were sharp and, again, there was no discernible motion blur or softness with the Epson.
My conclusion: Assuming you get a unit without any issues (yellow stripe, panel mis-alignment, etc.), the Epson 8345 makes an excellent first-time projector and even a very good replacement for an older PJ.
Sure, it's not the best PJ out there but, seriously, for $1,020 + tax on its own - or for $1,249 + tax including a 100" screen and a PJ mount - it's well worth the money.

Well as long as you're happy with it..enjoy. Some of these lower cost LCDs are known to have color uniformity issues. Just something that comes along with the territory. If you think blacks and contrast are good on this unit. You really need to see an Epson 8700 or better yet one of the JVCs or Sony models in this price range..I think you'd be in for major surprise.smile.gif
No need to short change yourself with such a nice theater room..It is the equivalent of dropping a 4 cylinder into a Corvette. Spending the extra $500 is well worth the difference IMHO. The difference between the HD250 and the Epson 8345..will be staggering!
post #10 of 24 Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well as long as you're happy with it..enjoy.
I returned this unit because of the yellow stripe issue, and I'm most likely going to buy a W7000 as originally planned.

Had the yellow stripe not been present, I would have been satisfied with the 8345. Good PQ for the money.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Well as long as you're happy with it..enjoy.
I returned this unit because of the yellow stripe issue, and I'm most likely going to buy a W7000 as originally planned.
Had the yellow stripe not been present, I would have been satisfied with the 8345. Good PQ for the money.

If you liked it then you'll love the w7000. IMO a much better projector..no where near as quiet though. Daytime scenes will have more snap and pop on the w7000.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, today - after much deliberation between the BenQ W7000 and the JVC DLA-HD250 - I picked up a DLA-HD250 today from a local A/V shop (Bleeker.com) for $2,199 + a spare bulb for $300 + taxes. I'm satisfied with the price...and very impressed with the PJ! Out of the box, all I did was change the setting from "Natural" to "Cinema 1" and...WOW! eek.gif

Compared to my older InFocus SP7210, the contrast is noticeably better, the blacks are beautifully black, colours have good "pop" to them and the image is nice and sharp.

Also, the menu system is very intuitive, the remote is well laid-out and nicely back-lit, and the fan is super-quiet.

At this moment, I am one VERY happy JVC owner! biggrin.gif
post #13 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, today - after much deliberation between the BenQ W7000 and the JVC DLA-HD250 - I picked up a DLA-HD250 today from a local A/V shop (Bleeker.com) for $2,199 + a spare bulb for $300 + taxes. I'm satisfied with the price...and very impressed with the PJ! Out of the box, all I did was change the setting from "Natural" to "Cinema 1" and...WOW! eek.gif
Compared to my older InFocus SP7210, the contrast is noticeably better, the blacks are beautifully black, colours have good "pop" to them and the image is nice and sharp.
Also, the menu system is very intuitive, the remote is well laid-out and nicely back-lit, and the fan is super-quiet.
At this moment, I am one VERY happy JVC owner! biggrin.gif

Yeah..lol..I was trying to nudge you in that direction. Now you have a projector your room deserves.smile.gif
Funny part is you haven't calibrated it yet. The black levels/contrast will and can get better.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah..lol..I was trying to nudge you in that direction.
Guess I should've listened to you sooner... wink.gif
Quote:
The black levels/contrast will and can get better.
If they do get better than what I'm seeing already, that'll be some sweet icing on the cake! smile.gif
post #15 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Glad you liked your purchased. I had the RS40 and 55 and now I have the w7000. I sold my RS55 so I can get a new model when they come out this fall. I must say that I'm favoring the w7000. It suits my needs more. Yes the JVC projectors are the best for movies, but there are other things to watch also. The w7000 colors are excellent, 3D is amazing, and sports are so much better than my RS55.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've read lots of good things about the W7000, and I did almost buy it. But given that I don't game, I don't watch sports and I have no interest in 3D, I don't think I'll miss any of the advantages the W7000 has over the HD250.

But congrats on your new PJ! smile.gif Do you still plan on getting a new JVC PJ when they come out?
post #17 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Glad you liked your purchased. I had the RS40 and 55 and now I have the w7000. I sold my RS55 so I can get a new model when they come out this fall. I must say that I'm favoring the w7000. It suits my needs more. Yes the JVC projectors are the best for movies, but there are other things to watch also. The w7000 colors are excellent, 3D is amazing, and sports are so much better than my RS55.

Very true..unfortunately when I do have time to watch my projectors, for me its mostly movies. I have a Benq DLP here but rarely use it.
Quote:

Yeah, I've read lots of good things about the W7000, and I did almost buy it. But given that I don't game, I don't watch sports and I have no interest in 3D, I don't think I'll miss any of the advantages the W7000 has over the HD250.
But congrats on your new PJ! smile.gif Do you still plan on getting a new JVC PJ when they come out?

As much as I like the Benqs ..I'm with ya. For movies they can't touch the JVC with a 10 foot poll.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I still plan on getting a JVC strictly for movies tho. I had the JVC projectors for two years and really didn't care too much for 3D. It always made me sleepy and it was too dim. I rather watch the 2D version. But I been addicted to 3D now, I still bought the 3D version to every movie I bought and its excellent on the w7000. No bad experiences with the 3D yet. It's more like watching 2D but in another dimension. Good thing I got the chance to own both.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
+1. I''ve gone thru 4 various JVC models as well as 3 Sony LCoS, but I'm always happy to come back to the JVC despite its stronger color palette. The crt-black just can't be beat at this price range and it gives the picuture great depth and realism.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
BTW, I did have a BenQ at one time but sensitive to RBE.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I went to register my HD250 a couple of days ago, the JVC website (www.jvc.ca/dila) indicated that registration would result in an automatic bump of the warranty from 2 years parts & labour (P&L) to 3 years P&L. I completed the registration and, earlier today, I e-mailed JVC to confirm that I was given the warranty bump. A couple of hours later, I received an affirmative reply from the company. Sweet. cool.gif

I'm an even happier customer now... biggrin.gif
post #22 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Congrats on the JVC Eljay. I originally purchased the Benq W6000 but came across a deal on the JVC HD250 that I couldn't pass up and am very happy that I made the move. The JVC is far quieter and offers far better black levels than the Benq but the Benq was still a great projector and was better for watching sports. Since I mostly watch movies on the big screen, the Benq isn't missed.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, m@rkus, and congrats to you on yours! smile.gif A buddy of mine has a W6000 - it's a great PJ, and it's the reason the W7000 was on my short list. But after spending a week with the HD250, I don't regret choosing it over the W7000. biggrin.gif
post #24 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I stumbled upon this thread in a search and it seems the right set of people may be involved. I also have a SP-7210 and looking if the general consensus for an upgrade path for PS3, Movies and Sports usage is the W7000? It seems the HD250 is the consensus for strictly movie viewing, but is the W7000 the choice for mix viewing? I had stayed away from the W5000 and also read about the same iris noise etc for the W6000. Is the W7000 a great improvement on those?

Anyway, just wanted to know if these two (W7000 and HD250) are the ones to choose from when coming from the SP-7210. It is still going strong and continues to put out an excellent IQ but I am preparing just in case it were to start acting up.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page