Epson 8350 user Breakdown thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Epson 8350 experience good and bad?
I love the epson 8350 and never had a problem with it. 18 40.91%
I love the epson 8350 and I did need to have bulb replaced a few times under warranty , less than 1,000 hours 3 6.82%
I like the epson 8350 but I have had it replaced due to convergence issue. 7 15.91%
I like the epson 8350 but I have had it replaced due to iris problem 6 13.64%
I like the epson 8350 but I have had it replaced due to dust blob 4 9.09%
I don't trust the epson 8350 because I have had to have it replaced multiple times and every time I turn it on, I pray it works. 2 4.55%
I hate the epson 8350 , I have been dealing with epson support I memorized their phone number and wonder if I made a mistake getting this PJ I replaced it so many times. When it works it's good, but, gee. I'm frustrated. 4 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 425
The poll results are looking pretty bad, although it's a VERY small sample size obviously. It would look even worse though if I could keep voting on all these projectors that are turds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I've never read about a single refurbished unit that actually works.

Well, you can't say that again.

I have been critical of Epson's QA, and this is my fourth unit, but my most-recent refurb is pretty good (touch wood) after 20 hours.
post #33 of 57 Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

So is it safe to assume you use it for only movies or gaming, and you spend anywhere from 3 to 4 hours per day?
I just bought mine 2 days ago and have used it for 8 hours the first night. I'm actually interested in knowing how many hours the users who have returned it several times, have clocked on each day. I am not worried yet, just hope I don't have to return mine anytime soon, or buy a new bulb. If I need to buy one in 12 months, I'd be completely fine with it.

Sorry for the late response, I forgot about the thread.

Movies (and some tv) only. It's the only monitor in the house. Fairly steady use, though there have been some weeks where it didn't get used at all and other days where it was running a solid 12 hours straight.

post #34 of 57 Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

Well, you can't say that again.
I have been critical of Epson's QA, and this is my fourth unit, but my most-recent refurb is pretty good (touch wood) after 20 hours.

Cool, good to know it can happen.
post #35 of 57 Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

your fifth one must have been my third cause I had the same problem on one I returned. Bottom left didn't match up with top right when focusing. Top left and bottom right seemed fine. wink.gif
I'm glad they are giving you a new one. They must have just decided you were a picky customer and were just going to forever send those things back until you got one perfect. I would od the same. My fourth unit (refurb) did come back fine and is still working well --- for now.
Luke will have to come over and set it up one more time. biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

How many hours do you have now? I can't believe you actually got a refurb that works, I don't think I have seen that before.
Yeah, the one I had today wasn't bad, in fact with just tv or blu-ray I think it would have taken me awhile to notice it. Is that how yours was?

Yes -- had it only been movies/tv I might not have noticed, and they wouldn't even have been able to tell on their test pattern check -- but with computer text blown up large it's easy to tell, and since I have my HTPC hooked up for web browsing and such - it was unacceptable.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #36 of 57 Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't blame you at all. I'm currently on hold again with Epson, the new projector I received today will not focus the upper right corner and lower left corner at the same time.
So, to sum up:
1st: worked fine until green dust blob appeared around 500 hours, also auto iris problem message started appearing at that time
2nd: refurbished unit, half the screen totally out of focus other half focused
3rd: new unit, worked fine until green dust blob appeared 500ish hours in
4th: refurbished unit, focus ring wouldn't budge
5th new unit, top right corner and bottom left corner won't focus at the same time. Not nearly as obvious as the 2nd projector, but when computer image is up it is easier to see that both corners can't be focused.
6th: gets here Friday

Well, the 6th projector is a keeper for sure. Sharp as a tack, convergence is better than any of the previous projectors, and all 4 corners focus at the same time, no dust blobs, etc. Hopefully this one lasts a long time.
post #37 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Damn guys, glad I found this thread. I'm shopping for a projector now and thought the 8350 was a done deal. Are there any other models in a similar price range - even up to 600ish more that are fairly reliable?
post #38 of 57 Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Damn guys, glad I found this thread. I'm shopping for a projector now and thought the 8350 was a done deal. Are there any other models in a similar price range - even up to 600ish more that are fairly reliable?

I would contact AVS on refurb JVC RS40s availability. You also have this http://www.visualapex.com/home-theater-projectors-refurbished/Epson-Projector-Details.asp?For-Projector-Model=Home-Cinema-8700UB-R and this http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/LG%20Electronics-projectors.asp in the same range.
Here's another unit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009335 . Here's another http://www.consignia.ca/refurbished-optoma-hd82-hd8200-full-1080p-dlp-home-theater-projector-special-purchase/. And another http://www.consignia.ca/refurbished-optoma-hd8600-full-1080p-dlp-home-theater-projector-top-of-the-line-10000-retail-hd86/ and another lol http://www.consignia.ca/refurbished-optoma-hd8300-hd83-full-1080p-3d-hdmi-v1-4-dlp-home-theater-projector-special-purchase/ . Every single projector posted will throw a better image over the 8350.
post #39 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 266
post #40 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks! Any issues/concerns with going with a refurb unit?

I bought my 8700UB refurb from projector people. Despite my worst fears regarding the QC of a refurb, it's pretty much perfect. I was hugely relieved.
Refurbs can sometimes be better than a new unit. But if not, return it and get another until you do. Especially Epson, with a still current 2 year warranty on a refurb.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #41 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I bought my 8700UB refurb from projector people. Despite my worst fears regarding the QC of a refurb, it's pretty much perfect. I was hugely relieved.
Refurbs can sometimes be better than a new unit. But if not, return it and get another until you do. Especially Epson, with a still current 2 year warranty on a refurb.

I can also say the same about my 8350 refurb from Projector People. No problems whatsoever. No convergence issues, nothing. smile.gif
post #42 of 57 Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Coming from some pretty old school pj's (from the early 2000-2005) the new selection of pj's last year was a constant Wow from my wife and I. We couldn't believe how far they had come so with that with sold the old Sanyo and settled on the Epson 8350 in September of last year. Blown away by it, of course the higher end models are better but the for the $$ the 8350 is one of the best out there. Now for the cons mad.gif First bulb went at around 800hrs and now the second one went at around 1800hrs. To be fair Epson has replaced both bulbs with no questions asked and even overnighted both of them. On the other hand it seems quite a few of the newer pjs have bulb ratings of 4000hrs which if holds true is way above what the old pj's got.

PSN ID: zapfrog

post #43 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my new unit is not bug free either. Last night after watching a 2:35:1 movie I switched back to tv and there was a bright green glowing light in the middle of the screen. It wasn't a dust blob, it was very bright and obvious even on a white scene. Here's the thing though, I was zoomed out for 2:35:1 since I just got done watching a movie, so I zoomed back down to 16:9 (much smaller picture) and the green light went away. Zoom out large, there it is again. I went back to the blu-ray player input and the light was not there no matter how I zoomed it. I checked the computer input and the green light was there when zoomed large just like the tv. Zoomed small and the light went away on the computer input too.

So, for the time being I'm not going to do anything about it since I didn't notice it watching a blu-ray and it goes away when shrinking the screen for tv/computer. Weird, not sure why it wouldn't show up for the blu-ray input...
post #44 of 57 Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 474
This projector is unreliable junk. I no longer recommend it. In six months I've gone through four, and my fifth one just failed tonight. Auto Iris failure, please contact the manufactorer after a mere 115 hours. I won't give any more business to Epson until they straighten out their quality control. For all the new buyers - buy the equivalent Panasonic and leave this Epson on the shelves. I've had two panasonics previously and zero problems with either. mad.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #45 of 57 Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I saw some people posting about bulb pop problems. You guys should vote , to add to poll. Helps the new guy thinking about buying a Lemon.
post #46 of 57 Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 AM

I bought my 8350 decemeber 2011. I Use it in my living room as a tv/monitor. right now i have 1743 hrs on it.. Never had a single issue with it..
post #47 of 57 Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkjones View Post

I bought my 8350 decemeber 2011. I Use it in my living room as a tv/monitor. right now i have 1743 hrs on it.. Never had a single issue with it..

Love hearing that, it gives me hope!! How much dimming have you noticed with the bulb? thanks
post #48 of 57 Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Love hearing that, it gives me hope!! How much dimming have you noticed with the bulb? thanks

none really.. always use it on eco living room mode.. still very very bright.. i will say a few months ago the bulb would start to pulse bright then slightly dim for a min or two every 5 to 10min then even bright again fr maybe 3days. on and off. then it stopped and hasnt happen in 2 or 3months..
post #49 of 57 Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM

After my first one had major convergence issues, I received a replacement 2 days later that is awesome. Really amazing picture quality. I bought a refurb one originally which I think was a mistake because they said they dont allow returns, just replacements on refurbs. After reading this thread with ppl who had 4-5 replacements I was a bit worried. But the picture looks excellent.

Im going to try projecting it onto my carls 16X10 screen tonight smile.gif
post #50 of 57 Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 AM

I just wanted to throw out there that I bought my 8350 shortly after release in late 2010 I believe. I have 2460 hours on it, using it for a few hours every day watching netflix, as it is our only tv, and we cut the cord. Never had a problem. It has been getting dim for a while I'm sure, but it's finally at the point this week that that it got me out on the web to check prices on bulbs and hour life, etc. Seeing that I'm not close to the 4000h life range, and closing in my 2 years, do you think I have a case with epson for a new bulb? Especially if rumor is true that original source for bulbs turned out to be a bad batch?
Thanks
Brian
post #51 of 57 Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Well, last night as I continued to watch my ever increasingly dim movie, there was a loud pop, and I wasn't watching anything anymore. I immediately called Epson, gave them serial number and hours on bulb, (2460) , they made a case number and told me to call back the next day when advanced parts replacement would be open. I called back this afternoon and they authorized a free replacement that should be here by end of the week. Nice, easy, and painless process. I didn’t have to ask for a free replacement, let alone beg, it was simply offered. However, I did start my conversation off with, “I know you had problems with the original lamp manufacturer causing you to switch, and mine just went prematurely. To this they agreed, but interjected that most went between 500 and 700 hours. I said I was really careful with startup, shutdown and run times. Thought I would share.
post #52 of 57 Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Just purchased a refurb 8350 from Epson yesterday. I wish I had checked AVS before buying, but I'll certainly report back my experience (positive or negative) in the next couple of weeks. If nothing else I can be a data point. :/ *fingers crossed*
post #53 of 57 Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Liked: 14
so far so good with my epson 8350 no issues.
post #54 of 57 Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM

I also just purchased a refurb epson 8350. I was really excited to try this thing out, being my first projector. That is until I turned it on. frown.gif Please ignore the large crack in my basement wall! smile.gif
post #55 of 57 Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is terrible. I don't think they QC the refurbs at all. I got the refurb 6500ub and it got frozen zoom and focus rings. mad.gif
post #56 of 57 Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I'm getting a grinding iris noise on every start-up, but very worried about sending it for replacement...
post #57 of 57 Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM

I got my Refurb project thie week . I have convergerence issue too . Called EPSOn sending new one with 2nd day delivery so hoping it work fine.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page