HDMI Length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the planning stages of converting an existing room into a theater room. I'm mostly a newbie. I will need to run the HDMI about 40'. I checked with Epson support regarding HDMI requirements and was told "the projector only supports an HDMI connection of up to 15 feet....more than 15 feet, you will need to use a signal booster in order to amplify the signal". This doesn't sound correct but what do I know. Any comments/advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 53
Run conduit if you are re-doing a room. 40ft is too long for a high speed rated cable but 1080P and 3D use less than 1/2 that spec. So a 40ft cable might work now but could cause problems when 4k2k comes or other formats which need more bandwidth. That's why I suggest conduit, it makes it easy to change if it doesn't work. If you can't run conduit and it would be difficult to redo the wiring then get a solution that can hand HDMI at full bandwidth.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I'm running a Monoprice 35ft HDMI cable to my Epson 8700UB. No issues at all at 1080p. Even works great through a 4 port HDMI switch at the source. (also from Monoprice)

Use a GOOD cable, (GOOD, not EXPENSIVE) and it'll work fine.

Marc

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I'm running a Monoprice 35ft HDMI cable to my Epson 8700UB. No issues at all at 1080p. Even works great through a 4 port HDMI switch at the source. (also from Monoprice)
Marc

Almost the same as me only I'm running over 40' of Monoprice cable, also with their 4 port HDMI switch, to both my Viewsonic Pro8100 and Epson 3010. This is with 2 couplers in line as well as "port savers" at the pjs. No problems at all including 3D on the Epson.

Ed
post #5 of 7 Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Marc

I know this post is 2 months old but if you're out there can you give me the item # for the cable you are using? I looked at the specs for a bunch of different ones on monoprice and they all said 720p/1080i. I want to make sure I get a 35 ft cable that does 1080p.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Liked: 53
Here is the scoop. Resolutions below 1080P are standard speed, 1080P and above require high speed. Howevver there is no magic cut off number. High speed means capable of full badwidth which is more that twice as fast as 1080P. So there may be some longer standard speed cables that will work fine with 1080P, plus there is some fudge factor built into the spec. That is why you see some people using 40+ ft cable just fine NOW.

Now for longer runs your best bet is conduit. That way if you try a cheaper solution and it doesn't work it is easy to change now or in the future as new equipment is going to use full HDMI High Speed bandwidth like 4Kx2K or deep color.

In a nutshell if it ieasy to change try a cheap cable and see if it work for your situation. If it doesn't than use a better solution. If it will be hard to change in the future use a better solution designed for full bandwidht now.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Here is the scoop. Resolutions below 1080P are standard speed, 1080P and above require high speed. Howevver there is no magic cut off number. High speed means capable of full badwidth which is more that twice as fast as 1080P. So there may be some longer standard speed cables that will work fine with 1080P, plus there is some fudge factor built into the spec. That is why you see some people using 40+ ft cable just fine NOW.
Now for longer runs your best bet is conduit. That way if you try a cheaper solution and it doesn't work it is easy to change now or in the future as new equipment is going to use full HDMI High Speed bandwidth like 4Kx2K or deep color.
In a nutshell if it ieasy to change try a cheap cable and see if it work for your situation. If it doesn't than use a better solution. If it will be hard to change in the future use a better solution designed for full bandwidht now.

Good info, thank you. In my application it will be a snap to switch out cables so I guess I'll try one of the monoprice ones for now.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP