Wow, I am so impressed with the Epson 8350! My story, and review/experience (LONG) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I`ll try to cut it short.... I began to research projection screens online, well make that one: Optoma`s 750GT. I was going to blind buy it last Wednesday, but Best Buy was sold out which was different from the store inventory check I did prior to leaving the house. In hindsight I'm glad they were sold out as the 750GT wouldn't have worked for my room settings, having done research on 5 more models a few days later and learning more about important features like lens shift + zoom.

Fast forward to yesterday, I am at Visions Electronics and it was a quiet day for them. I saw one other customer browsing, with employees far and few between. Anyways I was approached by a seemingly nice guy, yet he was condescending and all "know it all". I told him about my research on the Epson 8350 and that I was here today to buy one. He asked me for my room settings, light control, if I had a projection screen, ect. "I plan on shooting the image onto my wall", I replied. He tells me sternly the colors will wash out and look like crap. I said, it won't--"I have read reviews and done my research, and it'll be fine". "Oh, that's BS! Where are you reading these reviews? That's pure crap".

I had a feeling that he was trying to talk me into getting a screen. I lied and said I'll buy one later on, but not today. I've made this point 3 times since demoing Transformers 2 in the A/V room. At the checkout, my debit card was declined as $1000 was exceeded. I had used in tandem, my $520 store credit I got from buying my unused Polk TSi100s and barebones receiver, to help pay for this.

It turns out the guy charged me a 100" screen, without notifying me. He came to help the receptionist/cashier and I told him I'm not buying a screen today (4th time!). Forgot to ask for an HDMI cable, he grabbed one and tossed it onto the table and said "you won't find one cheaper than this" and walks away. 24 hour in hindsight, I wished I dealt with the same employee who helped me pick out the Polks.

After unboxing, reading the manual, I set up the projector and was ready to connect to my Acer Core i5 laptop,... Sexy looking device that wasn't tiny nor large. The black on white looks splendid and kinda reminds me of a nice car like an Audi R8 or Nissan GT-R

Source:
Acer (Core i5, ATI Radeon HD5470)

Testing Material:

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (MKV, 1080p rip, 12 GB file)
2. GI Joe (H264 MP4, 720p rip, 2.04 GB file)
3. Tron Legacy (WMV HD, 1080p rip, 15.4 GB file)

Before going on to the experience, I was VERY impressed at the zoom, and lens shifting. I have the 8350 on a 36" folding table and the lens is exactly 10 ft. from my wall, facing it directly. The wall is semi-gloss ivory paint, slightly dirty from dust and old specs from soda or something. It made the image stretch to 8-8.5 feet diagonally with absolutely no visible loss of quality. I can read out text on my Windows 7 desktop. My couch is a long one, adjacent to the wall (I was lying down the whole time). I stood 2 feet away and saw the pixels of the screen which I thought was cool. I measured one pixel to be around 0.80-0.85 millimeters.

Onto the testing/viewing/experience:

I opened up Rise of The Cobra (720p) in VLC player. It was bright last night so the sun didn't set, and the screen was washed out, bright colors were not the best, but you can still see everything depending on the scene. I chose "Dynamic" for color mode as it's brightest and the other modes wouldn't work in the room's lighting at that time. Dark colors like black didn't show up on the wall whatsoever (I would say maybe 5%, all I seen was my drywall, lol) I was still amazed at the sheer size of the screen, and knew the colors should look great in 2 hours when it gets dark outside. For a low bitrate rip, GI Joe looks like watching a 640 x 360 AVI movie rip on a 720p LCD TV. Which means VERY watchable and decent quality but nothing amazing. Movie was boring and I had to stop it 1/3 in.

I'm lying down on the couch and my eyes are 6.5 feet from the wall as I'm almost 6ft tall. Absolutely, no eye strain, no moving head side to side constantly, screen wasn't "too big" for my viewing distance---everything opposite of what that salesman had"educated" me on. Pure heaven for me in terms of viewing position.

Now, it's time to try a rip closer to an actual Bluray due to its much higher bitrate, Pirates!

Never having seen this film before, the film had a lot of noise/grain which I liked alot. I had goosebumps from the very first scene with the little girl singing on the ship. At this very moment, I had goosebumps all over and my heart raced. THIS was the same feeling I had when I first went to a movie theater. The motion, colors, grain, size, detail in everything--this pure epicness reminded EXACTLY of going to Cineplex Odeon. WOW!

Dynamic mode was still on, and the sky was getting darker. No problem with washed out/"missing" blacks this time. I didn't really enjoy this movie, but I guess it was okay. Great movie to see the reds, blues, blacks and whites. Sitting 6.5 feet away, everything was so immersive and fun. I see imperfections to faces, details in everything, and with the really bright scenes, the entire room lights up, The rainstorm scene was awesome-- my room flashes like a real lightning storm is happening. I knew blacks weren't a strong point, but I knew it was still quite good. Scenes that were dominantly darker, blacks were black and the skin tones popped out, In scenes with sunlight and shadows, the blacks weren't that dark. Film still looked spectacular even in these weaker moments. Motion is fluid, and smoother than my laptop. Motion had "judder" on my Acer which I had always never noticed until yesterday. I did some comparisons--head turned to my laptop, back to the screen, back and forth-- no question, the 50,000:1 contrast ratio dominates and makes my Acer looks ridiculous. Blacks are all gray on my laptop, and it felt like watching a HDTV show instead of a movie. Essentially, because of this projector, I cannot go back to watching movies on my Acer. It would be a disservice for myself and to the 8350. I do have to thank this film for showing me how capable and amazing this projector is.

It's getting late, but I had to test the blacks on one of my favorite films, TRON Legacy

Now, this would be the only film I have seen in theaters (not in IMAX or in 3D). I enjoyed it, loved the lights in a movie that takes place 95% in black/darkness.

Dynamic mode was still on and blacks were quite washed out. I toggled between the preset modes, and chose with Natural. HUGE difference this had made, and now my worries of Tron not being awesome are quickly disappearing. I got goosebumps in the same moments I got on Christmas when have first seen this. The motorbike tunnel scene, the first time someone got "derezzed", the first race/battle scene...all were amazing. Motion is smooth as silk here (not the lifelike 120 Hz soap opera smooth), very realistic and is EXACTLY the same as in the cinemas. Awesome. The lights on the black suits were bright and nice, and the blacks were extremely good. However, in some scenes where the dominant color was fluorescent white and neons, blacks were slightly weaker. Again, going back to my laptop--night and day difference. Actually, the difference is more like modern day and 1500's. IMAX scenes were glorious and transitioned 100% perfectly. Holy crap, did these IMAX sequences look epic and grand.

I will be honest, I didn't know what to expect with Tron, but I cannot wait to watch The Dark Knight and Iron Man later tonight!

As a note, my speakers were only Harmon Kardon Soundsticks placed to my right side and behind me. Wires weren't long enough to be situated properly, but sound really helped with the overall experience. I suggest to NOT use the Epson's speakers as I'm sure they will sound horrible as to be expected, and thus taking away from the experience greatly. I myself, will be getting a surround system and set them on the floor, out of view. Fan noise was VERY quiet and only noticed it 4 times during near silent moments in all of my films I have seen yesterday (Epson is 3ft behind my head, LOL). But it sure gets very warm. Walk past it from 2 feet away and you can feel a little heat wave. Best part is there is never a glare or reflection or shadow, unlike a glossy screen or a matte one. Felt at times I'm watching movies on a custom, 96" LCD TV with no bezel. I only saw pixels when I'm 3 feet or closer away, which I only did to try to find imperfections. 6 feet+ away from this and you'll see no pixels.

I will finish this by saying I'm glad I chose this over all the 60 and 65" LEDs, Plasmas, and LCDs I had looked at. Those are nice and similarly priced to my $1400 Epson, but I never felt immersed, since you can see the bezel, stand, and it's just too small. Oh, and I wouldn't suggest watching anything less than 720p as this projection is great at showing flaws of lower/low quality source materials. Feed it quality material and be amazed. I am more impressed with this than any TV I have seen in my life, including the one at Visions that had a $6400 pricetag. Strongly recommended and I'd advise you to get this over any TV if you're in the market for one.

Sorry for the long post, hope some of you benefited or enjoyed this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations and keep posting more once you get to watch more contents. Oh and post pics!
post #3 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Congratulations and keep posting more once you get to watch more contents. Oh and post pics!

Hey Kevin, thanks and I'll see if I can post some tonight!
post #4 of 34 Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Congratulations.

I made the same decision a couple months back and am extremely happy with my 8350. I spent months scouring the different projector threads and sweating every detail. I had a budget in mind I didn't want to go over and stuck with it. Going from a 65" rear projection HDTV to a 106" projection screen was an amazing and relatively inexpensive project. I cannot believe the color accuracy and image sharpness this thing throws! Text is razor sharp. The image is bright with a lot of contrast, easily surpassing my old TV.

Waiting for those pics..... wink.gif
post #5 of 34 Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Congratulations.
I made the same decision a couple months back and am extremely happy with my 8350. I spent months scouring the different projector threads and sweating every detail. I had a budget in mind I didn't want to go over and stuck with it. Going from a 65" rear projection HDTV to a 106" projection screen was an amazing and relatively inexpensive project. I cannot believe the color accuracy and image sharpness this thing throws! Text is razor sharp. The image is bright with a lot of contrast, easily surpassing my old TV.
Waiting for those pics..... wink.gif

Hello curtlots, thanks!

I wasn't able to do movie night yesterday, which upset me. I had to go to work on my day off to fill a shift, which made me mad.gif heh

I will see if I can get my Canon Powershot A480 working, I will use that and take some photos. Not sure what I'll be watching, but I will definitely get some captures from TRON Legacy.

Does anyone know of any site good for uploading pictures besides imageshack.us?
post #6 of 34 Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Hello curtlots, thanks!
I wasn't able to do movie night yesterday, which upset me. I had to go to work on my day off to fill a shift, which made me mad.gif heh
I will see if I can get my Canon Powershot A480 working, I will use that and take some photos. Not sure what I'll be watching, but I will definitely get some captures from TRON Legacy.
Does anyone know of any site good for uploading pictures besides imageshack.us?

First congrats on the new purchase (have the same projector myself) I use photobucket.com for my pics and haven't had any issues yet myself.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Liked: 10
Wow,I was very impressed with the Epson 8350, powerful chips, the quality of full HD 1080p image, the lens can magnify 36 times and still accurate definition at a distance of 10 feet
I have a question, Epson 8350 Epson 8350 has automatic functions as short-form 3D movie?smile.gif
post #8 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conac View Post

Wow,I was very impressed with the Epson 8350, powerful chips, the quality of full HD 1080p image, the lens can magnify 36 times and still accurate definition at a distance of 10 feet
I have a question, Epson 8350 Epson 8350 has automatic functions as short-form 3D movie?smile.gif

I am literally only 6.5 feet away from the wall and the quality is immensely good. I still haven't gotten a Blu-ray player, yet the 1080p rips I have been watching are very good. Watched Iron Man again, only this time on a big screen. Let me just say the contrast ratio is VERY good in this as it was in Tron. Some scenes were slightly weaker in terms of black, yet some scenes were so dynamic in contrast and colors, it felt 3D. I notice if the 1080p rip is under 10 GB, detail is missing (but still sharp), and artifacts are more apparent and easier to spot in further distance.

I am still amazed at the cinematic feel and fluidity of everything I have seen. I can't say enough good things about it. Absolutely zero lag, jutter, ghosting for fast paced action scenes in all the movies I have seen.

I will need to get a SD reader today and upload some screens and videos of Tron Legacy in action.

Later tonight after work, it will be Mission Impossible III and likely MI4: Ghost Protocol on the weekend. I'll see if I can get some screen captures, especially the IMAX scenes of Dubai.
post #9 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 AM

50 hours on my 8350 and so far no issues, this is a good projector with very good image quality at a cost that was similar to my old 720p projector. Enjoy.
post #10 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Finally uploaded my poor man setup, haha, and the much anticipated screens of Tron and a few Iron Man. Both being run under "Natural" preset, and the sun had set. My memory card ran out of space for Iron Man, but will get shots of MI3 and MI4, as well as The Dark Knight sometime next week. Just really enjoy watching some of my favorite movies again only on the big screen.

With my lame Canon PowerShot, I had tried my best to capture what I was seeing. Next on my wish list after some surround speakers is a DSLR camera that can take night pictures tongue.gif

http://imgur.com/a/loh16#0

For the Tron shots, all that noise/grain you see is from my P + S camera. Blacks were darker and everything looked clean and dynamic (colors) for these scenes.

Besides YouTube, where can I upload my AVI files of Tron in motion? I feel they show how well the projector performs during action/fast scenes.

Didn't mention this in my very first post, but I find the remote largely useless for the most part, besides turning the projector on and off, and changing color modes.
post #11 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm watching Days of Thunder at the moment, and played around with some controls and managed to get rid of (mostly) the surrounding black borders. Apparently the 8% overscan makes the image EVEN larger (WOW) and quality still looks amazing. Even more, I can sharpen an image even further. Brightness is tweaked and I can watch Days of Thunder even in daytime (right this moment)! Wish I did the overscan for Tron. IMAX will look splendid but I will make sure 8% is on for TDK and Ghost Protocol. biggrin.gif

REALLY LOVING this projector, and I'm an Epson fan ("Epsonian" anyone?) for life. smile.gif
post #12 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I do get the sense that you like this projector just a tiny bit..... wink.gif

I opted for the 8700UB myself and could not be happier. Well, maybe a hot babe in my lap as I'm watching a movie! biggrin.gif

The Epsons are a fine projector for the money.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #13 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I do get the sense that you like this projector just a tiny bit..... wink.gif
I opted for the 8700UB myself and could not be happier. Well, maybe a hot babe in my lap as I'm watching a movie! biggrin.gif
The Epsons are a fine projector for the money.

Haha, I do don't I? Easily THE best purchase I have ever made. Sure my laptop does "everything" but I feel like I purchased an intangible, an experience. Highly recommended for people with smaller spaces, and likely large rooms as well.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Is this your first projector?

I remember getting my first projector almost a decade ago (infocus 4805) and I was blow away. Since then projectors have been my main display, never went back to flat screen. The immersion effect of projectors cannot be beaten.

One more caution: don't let people fool you into thinking that the more expensive projectors (with better contrast/black levels) are miles better than your projector. I've personally seen $4k projectors and the difference is not as great as people claim.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM

My first was the 4805 also...thought I was king of the hill with that projector!!
post #16 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I say enjoy it and welcome to the club! My word of caution is, this hobby is additive!smile.gif Some of us grow into enthusiast and learn from each projector we have. Don't let anyone fool you to believe projectors in the mid tier or higher are over priced and give the same performance as a budget unit. There is a reason why you have different levels of cost with these units as you do with cars, houses, you name it. Once you've lived with your current unit. It's up to you to learn those differences and not to ignore them because of cost. I will say this, IMO once you get above 6k street price the differences become less appreciable. Putting it in perspective, the Epson 8350 is a Toyota Yaris(nothing wrong with it , I like the gas mileage) and the Epson 5010 is a Toyota Camry. Anyone that tells you these drive the same is obviously kidding themselves. lol
post #17 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

I say enjoy it and welcome to the club! My word of caution is, this hobby is additive!smile.gif Some of us grow into enthusiast and learn from each projector we have. Don't let anyone fool you to believe projectors in the mid tier or higher are over priced and give the same performance as a budget unit. There is a reason why you have different levels of cost with these units as you do with cars, houses, you name it. Once you've lived with your current unit. It's up to you to learn those differences and not to ignore them because of cost. I will say this, IMO once you get above 6k street price the differences become less appreciable. Putting it in perspective, the Epson 8350 is a Toyota Yaris(nothing wrong with it , I like the gas mileage) and the Epson 5010 is a Toyota Camry. Anyone that tells you these drive the same is obviously kidding themselves. lol

The tech on projectors has increased so much the last 10 years. I wouldn't compare the 8350 to a Yaris. The Yaris looks horrible (IMO), fits only 4 and can be dangerous to drive. Those are fatal flaws to many people. I'd compare a xga business projector to a yaris now days.

Right now I'd say the 8350 is like a Camry. It really has everything you need but maybe not everything you want.

The 5010 is like a Lexus. Sure its better than a Camry but may not be worth the extra money for most people.
post #18 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Is this your first projector?
I remember getting my first projector almost a decade ago (infocus 4805) and I was blow away. Since then projectors have been my main display, never went back to flat screen. The immersion effect of projectors cannot be beaten.
One more caution: don't let people fool you into thinking that the more expensive projectors (with better contrast/black levels) are miles better than your projector. I've personally seen $4k projectors and the difference is not as great as people claim.

Hi sog35,

Yes, this is my first projector. In fact, I have never even purchased a TV prior. Of course, when I was living at home, my mom had a 36" TV, but it wasn't HD and it was a decent CRT flat screen.

I have actually didn't see any projector demos at any stores, except at Visions (and this is when I was going to buy it without seeing it in action prior). Having done most of my research and comparisons on projectorreviews.com, I can safely say the only other models I considered buying were the Panasonic PT-AE4000U, and the less expensive AE1000U model. Blacks were the best for the 4000U, but being the only option was ordering online, I was more hesitant. Lots of things can happen, like "lost mail", returning it if I didn't like it would be a pain, uncertainty, etc.

The AE4000U was being auctioned for $1600 on eBay but it was "open box" and I'm sure the warranty wouldn't work since he was in the U.S., and I'm in Canada. Even if someone offered to trade a new one for my used Epson, I'd refuse.

The 2 things that helped me pick the 8350, was the huge 2.1x zoom and lens shifting. Thank goodness I did more research (and used a calculator one member posted to help with display sizing from various distances). If I had gone with any other sub-2000 projector, it wouldn't have worked in my small room-- screen would have been too small and non-immersive for me, and placement would be more cumbersome.

The much more expensive ones are great, likely better--I'm sure, but I am EXTREMELY happy with my 8350. This model is worth more than it's asking price, and I would say it's one of the best deals I've come across. If this were $2000, and knowing what it can do, I'd buy it for 2000 without hesitation.

If you guys can, check out my uploaded screens on imgur-- you can take a look at my setup if you can call it that redface.gif

P.S. I would say the Epson 8350 is more like an Audi TTRS, or Porsche Boxster/Cayman, with the slightly more expensive and better being a Porsche 911 Turbo, with the really expensive ones being Lamborghinis and Ferraris.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

funny thing is I just bought the AE4000 a few months ago. At this point so many of the so called budget projectors (Epson 8350, Mistu hc4000) are so good that its getting harder and harder to see the difference between it and the mid level projectors (over $2k). I've personally seen a few mid range JVC's which boast the best blacks/contrast in the industry. From my experience the difference in black levels are there but not worth the extra $1000. In the old days (2005 ish) the difference between the JVC's and budget projectors were massive.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Very impressed with the blacks but will need to test out Dark Knight and even Transformers 3 to see how good it is.

Watching 21 Jump Street now, 25 min in, and colors are REALLY popping and I'm in a bright room with the curtains shut. I tweaked the contrast and brightness in "Dynamic" mode and it looks gorgeous. If I was trying to sell someone on contrast levels of the 8350, I'd pop this in (along with Tron). Very colorful scenes and sets make this a wonder to watch. I will watch this again at night next week and take some pics. Love this movie too!
post #21 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

How are panning scenes on this? I can't stand judder/jitter so if pans aren't smooth it could be a deal breaker.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

How are panning scenes on this? I can't stand judder/jitter so if pans aren't smooth it could be a deal breaker.

It may be how the video was ripped from the Blu-ray original, but I have experienced no jutter or choppiness during pans and action sequences for Pirates of The Caribbean. If someone can recommend a video uploading site (not YouTube or any FLV based sites), I can upload a recorded scene from Tron (fight scene that is very fast paced with pans and changing camera angles)

However, watching 21 Jump Street and MI4, there is jutter, and moves the same as my Acer. Both of these are also 1080p rips in MKV format, being played in VLC Player. I suspect it's the rip, so I will find another one (a 720p H264) and test it later tonight or tomorrow morning. The jutter surprised me a bit as I have been experience nothing but cinematic fluidity since Monday.

|t may also be my customized settings for image that is causing lag--not sure, but I'll keep you guys posted.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I am worried now.

I laptop for some reason went into sleep mode or hibernate automatically and shut the screen off. I heard the lens make that shutdown noise, and I think I may have F'd 'up the lens. What I did was wake the computer back up and now I get a black flashing projected image saying "Source: HDMI2" and right below "Not supported". Tried putting it in standby, disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable for both ends and turned it back on by pressing the power button. I tried with the first HDMI plug; same message only its for HDMI1.

Manual says nothing.

UPDATE: I rebooted my Acer and all is good now, and the only change is my modified Dynamic preset was somehow reset back to default. Other than that, no problem with the lens and zoom and sharpening worked.
post #24 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM

The resolution on your display is probably wrong for the projector. Normally when I see something like that (at work), that's all it is.

Congrats on the projector, I got the big brother (8700UB) last year and LOVE IT! We don't go to the theater any more (and that was something we did regularly).
post #25 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The tech on projectors has increased so much the last 10 years. I wouldn't compare the 8350 to a Yaris. The Yaris looks horrible (IMO), fits only 4 and can be dangerous to drive. Those are fatal flaws to many people. I'd compare a xga business projector to a yaris now days.
Right now I'd say the 8350 is like a Camry. It really has everything you need but maybe not everything you want.
The 5010 is like a Lexus. Sure its better than a Camry but may not be worth the extra money for most people.

When is the last time you actually looked at these cars? I don't own it, but suffice to say subcompacts have come a long way from the days of the Chevette. lol
I've installed a couple of the 8350's, one for a good friend. He enjoys it very much. I'm well aware of what image it throws. I'd consider the vw95 or RS55 as the Lexus.
In truth, the value is in the eye of the beholder. As long as you are satisfied, that's all that really matters. It took 4 different projectors to get me to that point.
If you're not looking for an upgrade in 6 months or a year..you'll know you've hit that point.smile.gif
For me it will be at least 2 years or more, unless something really magically hits the market. I doubt it, as the technology in these projectors hasn't changed much over the last few years.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer View Post

The resolution on your display is probably wrong for the projector. Normally when I see something like that (at work), that's all it is.
Congrats on the projector, I got the big brother (8700UB) last year and LOVE IT! We don't go to the theater any more (and that was something we did regularly).

All it took to resolve the issue was rebooting my PC. The laptop's screen turned off while movie was playing (sound was still playing). I hit a key to turn the screen back on, and PC was fine, but the lens didnt receive a signal and I honestly thought I had inadvertently messed up the lens or a chip inside the projector. Called a rep, and he said signal was lost and that my actual projector didnt cause the problem and the lens are fine. Let me tell you, I was freakin' worried hah!

Glad you love your 8700UB!

I will be seeing 2 films in theaters this year: The Dark Knight Rises and Amazing Spider-Man.

I don't keep up with the latest offerings, but I didnt really go to the cinemas often (under 5 a year). However, I do watch a lot of films, new or old at home, and now with my projector... likely even more!
post #27 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Okay, so I am worried now.
I laptop for some reason went into sleep mode or hibernate automatically and shut the screen off. I heard the lens make that shutdown noise, and I think I may have F'd 'up the lens. What I did was wake the computer back up and now I get a black flashing projected image saying "Source: HDMI2" and right below "Not supported". Tried putting it in standby, disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable for both ends and turned it back on by pressing the power button. I tried with the first HDMI plug; same message only its for HDMI1.
Manual says nothing.
UPDATE: I rebooted my Acer and all is good now, and the only change is my modified Dynamic preset was somehow reset back to default. Other than that, no problem with the lens and zoom and sharpening worked.

FYI, HDMI connections can be problematic due to all that DRM and HDCP crap the content providers foist upon us. Some hardware works fine, some does not.

I am using HTPC's all around the house, including my theater room to drive my 8700UB.

2 things you can do: DON'T let the machine go to sleep. Or, try a little program called HdmiYo. This will re-sync your HDMI port when the computer comes out of sleep.

Also, don't you have a key on the laptop to switch screens?? My thinkpad does... which will also do the trick.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #28 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ok I have one question for you. Where are you getting your sound from? Just the computer speakers? I would be very interested to know. Thank you. smile.gif)
post #29 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

FYI, HDMI connections can be problematic due to all that DRM and HDCP crap the content providers foist upon us. Some hardware works fine, some does not.
I am using HTPC's all around the house, including my theater room to drive my 8700UB.
2 things you can do: DON'T let the machine go to sleep. Or, try a little program called HdmiYo. This will re-sync your HDMI port when the computer comes out of sleep.
Also, don't you have a key on the laptop to switch screens?? My thinkpad does... which will also do the trick.

It's just my laptop screen turning off rather than just sleeping by itself. I will ensure it doesn't happen again, since it was very annoying.

Loving this projector so far. I am stoked to watch 80's films that were in cinemas when I was born. Should be awesome. Rain Man, Back To The Future, Ferris... biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Ok I have one question for you. Where are you getting your sound from? Just the computer speakers? I would be very interested to know. Thank you. smile.gif)

I have my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III connected to my laptop. I just went to the sound control panel and made sure playback came from my speakers instead of the projector. Funny thing is I never knew my speakers sounded better further apart. 4.5 feet apart works in separating sound better than 2 feet apart. Still going to replace them by the end of July.
post #30 of 34 Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Hello Darth Indy and anyone else who worried about motion judder,

UPDATE: We were watching Rain Man in 1080p (10.9 GB) in VLC Player and noticed motion judder for some of the panning scenes. Like when Cruise was walking back and forth for example. This didn't happen from start to finish; many scenes were fluid and had what I call, "cinema motion". However, I am confident enough to say, the jutter is due to my Acer Core i5 dropping HUNDREDS of frames according to the "Statistics" tab in VLC when I pressed Ctr + I, throughout the movie. My computer had stuttered and "froze" frame in Rain Main 2 occasions, since my PC is not powerful enough. This means sound was still playing and the video picture didn't move for 4 seconds or so.

I opened up 4 other 720p files at a lower video bitrate than my Rain Man MKV rip to test my discovery, and noticed no frames were dropped between all 4. "Insidious" for example, looks the same as it did in theaters; motion was VERY fluid and no judder for slow pans or faster ones. Same "cinema motion" can be seen in Glengarry Ross, Pandorum, and Journey 2: Mysterious Island. Whilst watching these on the wall, I looked back to my Acer and it had a slight jutter for pretty much all motion scenes. No frames were dropped in VLC, and I guess this is tolerable since the viewable screen is only 17".

As I have noted before, fluidity really helps with immersion and creating that theater experience at home, and this Epson does it perfectly.

I will test some 720 or 1080p rips of sports and live concerts tomorrow or on Tuesday
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page