Any AE100 owner in San Jose want to do a shootout with an LT150? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got an RP56 that I am willing to bring over along with my LT150. I am just curious as to how these two will perform side by side.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Arrgghh, damn. Thirty viewers and no takers? No one in the South Bay wants to do this? How about coming to my house with the AE100 to do the shootout? I'll provide the HTPC and the RP56. C'mon!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How about if an AE100 owner would allow me to come over to check out their projector in action?
post #4 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
My aunt and I would like to see one, too.

Noah
post #5 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Man, throw a dog a bone. Pullleezzee. :)
post #6 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
At the risk of starting a flame war, I would suggest that a person who owns an AE100 would rather not see it in a shootout. It is easier to appreciate your projector when you don't see it side by side with a superior machine. I wouldn't mind seeing my LT150 up against the new Seleco or a Marantz, but I doubt I would appreciate my LT150 as much.

Mike
post #7 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am not trying to start a flame war. I am just trying to evaluate the value of the AE100. Both are fantastic units, as I have first hand experience with one. And you guys can attest to the experiences with the other. One is DLP and the other is LCD. I don't really think they can compete as both have their inherent flaws and advantages. My purpose is for a value comparison. Not performance. Of course a currently sold $10,000 unit will perform better then an LT150. That is a no-brainer. The biggest selling factor for the AE100 is its pricepoint. And since all of my friends are in their early 20's and live check to check. The AE100 can potentially fit in with our modest incomes. Maybe shootout is the wrong word to use. As the real reason I want to see the AE100 against the LT150 is this: as the LT150 becomes more and more harder to find (new) and with considerations to the cost of bulb life and replacement bulb cost, I find it difficult to recommend this unit to my friends. It is quite an effort to get a hold of a new LT150. It is quite another matter to say to everyone you have to replace the bulb every year at a cost of $400 a pop. Even I cringe when I have to relay that info to my friends that ask. I just want to know if the LT150 is worth the effort to find (and maintain) since the AE100 is easily available to them. Most of my friends are just casual users that would just love to have a projector. They are people that would never even dream of posting a single comment here. They aren't fanatics like us, nor are they nuts that own over 200 DVDs like me/us. I just would like to see if this unit is something that I can wholeheartedly recommend to my friends, from a value standpoint. I just want to get my friends in the mix. Share the joy that I have experienced with my projector. Can you blame me? I am sure all of you have shown your projectors to your friends at one point or another. I bet at least one of them has asked for your help in purchasing one. This request, I am sure, is in total disregard of the price you paid for your unit. Your friends just knew, once they saw your projector, that FP would be something for them. I know when I first saw a buddies' Runco in action, I was totally turned on to FP and haven't looked back since. Even after I found out the thing cost $20,000, I still knew i had to have one.

Last thing I would want to do is flame anyone. That would be totally uncool. I am not a my-stuff-is-better-than-your-stuff person. I wouldn't even post a single comment here of the any comparison that might take place. I just need to know for myself so I can share the info with my immediate friends. And who is to say one is better then the other overall? Not me, that's for sure.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I do not own a digital projector, and would love to actually read a shootout between these two. I have seen a (pre and post Hoya-blacked out clear section) LT150z a few times. I have yet to see an AE100 and would love to hear about a side-by-side shootout. The value and native shortcomeings of each tech has been talked about ad nauseum. PQ wise (sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation, etc.), I want to hear which one outshines the other! ;) Shoot outs do not have to degenerate into flame wars if done with respect and people have a little humor.

With the AE100 fan base driving the split of this board (-/+ 5k), there has to be something to it and their has to be someone willing to get in the ring with the long time champ! C'mon!

"The Internet .... It's a series of tubes....I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?"
--Senator T. Stevens
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 09:01 PM

YEAH............

I Would Love to do a comparison of my AE100 with an LT150z... I live in the south bay also...(but DAMN, I just mounted it.... oh well its for research right??)

NOAH... I just got home from a small jaunt to parts unknown, I have not forgotten about your request, this would be a great time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone..

Niggenz... what is your screen size and make? what do you have in your HTPC, I could bring mine if you want...(although yours is probably better)

shoot me off an e-mail, lets get this together(just keep in mind that I am always leaving the area at a moments notice), as I would like to see the LT150z side by side with The AE100 also..

AGWOOD

129th USAF Combat Search and Rescue
Air Force Special Operations Command
"These Things We Do That Others May Live"

and yes my avatar is a personal photo
post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

agwood,

Coolio. Thanks dude. Your going to make many of my friends happy. Actually, I have an unmodded LT150, not a LT150Z. Which, in some respects, is better since the zoom lens on the LT150Z decreases the CR and brightness of the identical imaging engine. But I do have a Hoya filter. I find that it doesn't work as good for me and my 68" wide DIY screen. Seems I get better image without it. Here are pictures of my current setup:

http://jcgamebooks.com/theater.htm

My HTPC is a nForce based PC with a Radeon VE, Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB DDR 2100 RAM. I must warn you though, my pc isn't as tweaked out as I would like right now. I am in a transitional phase as I have been using my PC more for workstation duties than as my HT centerpiece. Lately, I have been using the RP56 with the A2Zcable's breakout cable for movies. Not even close to my HTPC in terms of performance, but really convenient.

If we do get together, I must warn you that my 10x10 bedroom doesn't lend itself well to vistors or projector comparisons shootouts, so we would have to do this in the living room at night since (about 9 PM, days sure are getting longer!) I have no light control out there. Or maybe I can bring the LT150 to you. I would love to see how my PJ performs on a commercial screen. I live on the East side of SJ. Really close to Alum Rock Park. Maybe I can call you to work out the details. Your email address his hidden, so drop me a message at pbniggs@hotmail.com. And yes NOAH, the more the merrier.

Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Aaron, niggenz,

Great, thanks for the offer.

Not sure if you guys want to lug everything around, but my aunt in Palo Alto has a 14' x 18' family room with dark paneled walls and good light control, so we could do it during daylight hours. She has a slide pj screen we could use, I think it's 5' x 5' or so.

I'm sure she'd be happy to whip a batch of her famous chocolate chip cookies:)

As of today, any time this weekend works for us.

Another thing is I just got an iscan v2 off of ebay, should be receiving it next week; we could use it instead of fussing with PC's.

How would you guys feel about inviting someone with a 75U want to join the fun?

Thanks!

Noah
post #12 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At the risk of starting a flame war, I would suggest that a person who owns an AE100 would rather not see it in a shootout.
I wouldn't mind a shootout between my AE100 and any other PJ. I'm not naive and I know that my PJ isn' t the best thing since the remote control. It would be nice to see how it stacks up compared to another unit.

I don't drive a Ferrari, but a friend of mine let me drive his 355 Spyder the other day and I loved it. Does that mean that I enjoy my car less? Nope, I still love it even though I know what I'm missing after driving a car that costs almost as much as my house!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since most people own TVs, I don't think owners of the projectors are at all insecure, regardless of what you bought and how much you paid for it. There is a definite cool factor involved for us PJ owners from the AE100 on up. Yes it is a good point, but let's stick to the topic please, if just for this thread. We can place our opinions about the dollar value of a projector and the stature gained or not gained with our purchases in another thread.

Thanks.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page