LT150 - Viewing distance??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping to convert a 10x12 bedroom to an HT and I am wondering if this will produce decent results using an LT150 and a 60x80 screen. I think the viewing distance will be roughly 10 ft. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? I basically want to generate a good viewing experience and so I would appreciate advice on screen size (smaller?, screen type (hi-power or something else) and whether the room size is adequate for an FP setup. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have LT150. 10 feet should be fine for that size screen. I have 96" wide screen and sit at 13 feet. No screendoor noted.

Huey ;-]
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Have a 150z and a 60x80 screen. At about 10.5 ft (and a little zoom, but not much) the screen is basically filled at 4:3 and about half the screen vertically at 16:9. I have a screen with a gain of one. HNick
post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have a 10x10 bedroom where my LT150 is ceiling mounted 8' above the floor and right above my face when I am lying down on my bed in the viewing position. The result is when watching a movie, my eyes are looking down to the screen across the room, reducing eye strain. In any case, I have a resulting 68" screen that looks absolutely gorgeous. You should have no problem with your room setup. I would suggest that if you use a couch in your viewing room instead of a bed like me, then it might be a good idea to mount the LT150 about 6 1/2 - 7 feet above the floor so that the resulting image is projected closer to eye level in the seated position (EDIT: Keep in mind I am refering to the projector in upside down ceiling mount position). This is to reduce eye strain of course. Any time you look at something that bright for that long, your eyes are going to strain.

Otherwise good luck and do post some pics of your room when you are done.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it will be different from viewer to viewer. I'm sitting 10.5 feet from a 92" wide screen and also using an ISCO II anamorphic lens. A small amount of screendoor is visible on some scenes, and I believe the new Firehawk screen makes screendoor a little more pronounced. If I didn't have the ISCO, I don't think I could sit this close.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2002, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys; so it looks like my setup is feasible. Would anybody advise against the hi-power screen with a 10 ft viewing distance. Huey do you have a hi-power or something else? I am just not sure if gain makes much difference in a tight viewing situation.

Wireless: Thanks for your comment, just cant afford another lens right now.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2002, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Gain will bring out screendoor and rainbows if you're prone to see them. I have video spectra which is a cheap but reasonable alternative at 1.5 gain. HP requires floor mount for full 2.8 gain as on ceiling mount, effective gain is only 1.3 or so. I ordered mine from www.francisav.com for a Model B, 96"X72" Video Spectra for $150 shipped--cheapest around. Your smaller screen size should be even less. They have HP there too at very reasonable prices too. Other sources for screens include AVS (jason@avscience.com (our host), www.shopcousinsvideo.com , www.ritzav.com .

Huey ;-]
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2002, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the HP with a 60x80, the projector is under the seating off the floor 7" or so, and appx 10' from the screen. Looks great, but if I stand up or move off to the side a visible drop in gain is noticed. I used to mount the PJ on the floor and just raising it 7" made a great difference. You want the projector with a HP as close to your eye level as possible.

The HP reflects light back to the projector for 2.8 gain at that point. If you can set up your area to allow for that, its great. Most can not, and Huey's 1.5 gain screen suggestion will give the same result with a wider viewing area and cheaper price.

If possible try just painting a screen, I found a smaller painted screen masked in black, looks as good as my HP, and offers consistant viewing at all angles.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2002, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Huey and JackLT- the video spectra seems like a good choice for my situation but I will check and see how much off the floor I can mount the projector given my room height and distance from the projector. It looks like this could really work; thought the room would be too small. I am now officially pumped!
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page