Optoma GT720 - Large Dark Spot (Pictures) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, so I'm very new here, but I'm hoping someone can provide some help. I'm trying to fix a projector for some neighborhood kids. It's a long sob story, but basically their dad is very sick (cancer) and I'm just trying to take one thing off his plate. Anyway, when they first called me a few weeks ago the bulb was dead. Easy fix, I installed a new bulb and things seemed to be working great, however now just a few weeks later there is a large dark spot in the center of the image. Doing some reading here it sounded like it could be the light tunnel, but upon inspection that looks good. Any ideas on the cause and hopefully a fix?

PS: The spot is not green, that's the wall color. It's basically just faded. Also, that lighter blue spot on the right must just be my poor photography skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Still hoping for some help. Please note if this is the incorrect forum for such questions.

Thank you
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This is the right forum, however it can be tough getting an answer near holidays.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #5 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 PM

It could be issue with a worn out wheel, do you hear any unusual noise toward the front?

When I first got my unit, it had similar symptom, and as the Optoma tech diagnosed, it had a chewed up wheel (afterall it's plastic) due to heat under long hours of operation. They eventually replaced my unit with a refurb.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think it's the wheel. I had to take it off to get to the light tunnel and didn't see anything unusual. I also don't hear anything unusual when starting the projector. The only change with the new bulb would be an overall "hot smell". From what I've read this is common.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Yesterday I had a very similar issue to the thread starters. Now however, it has morphed from the “black spot” you see above to this:

the bulb isn’t the problem. But it could be the color wheel for all I know. a picture of my color wheel:

I smell burning plastic every time I turn it on. Thoughts?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM

This also just happened to my GT720 last week. Its about 2 years old. Was using it one night and all of a sudden there was a small dark spot in the middle of the screen and it slowly got worse. There is also a bad smell coming from inside that would suggest something burnt or melted. Color wheel looks fine to me and also replaced the bulb.

Gunna call tech support this weekend. Up until now the projector has been amazing.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM

I have a pretty similar issue. Has anyone figured out the cause? The research I've done makes me think it may be a bad light tunnel. I have an optoma DLP gt700 (or something pretty similar). I may take it apart and try to fix the light tunnel myself since it isn't any use in its current state. Hope to hear from you guys soon!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM

My GT720 did the same thing. Took it apart and found the lenses had melted. The big lens was black through the middle and the others were cloudy. The mirror was also cloudy. I have ordered a replacement from eBay. A used part that includes the lenses, light tunnel, and mirror. I'm going to just swap my good parts over to the new one. I've read that aftermarket bulbs can cause the lenses(made out of plastic, by the way) to melt. It's apparently a known issue.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM

I did the same. Ordered a new lense and popped it in but something got messed up on the board while I was doing it. If anyone has this issue your welcome to take any parts from my projector, the replacement parts are brand new and it has a new bulb. It's on eBay.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma 3d Game Time Projector For Wii Playstation And Xbox Gt720
Gear in this thread - Gt720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page