Gaming Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is a good gaming projector that can/should also handle movies fairly well. I am new to the projector scene and also am building a HT.
Any help regarding the projector is appreciated.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416894/starting-new-home-theater-room-project-operation-what-the-hell-am-i-doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 13
Didn't read through the whole post on the theater section. What kind of gaming do you plan to do? Console or PC gaming? Competitive FPS vs people or casual single player gaming? Looking for 3D gaming and movies?

Reading in your attached thread you planned on a 80" $5Kbudget. With that you could really go with a dedicated movie projector and a gaming projector. But going that route depends on the type of gaming you plan to do.

Gaming projector good for consoles and PC gaming the Optoma GT750. PC gamers rave this projector as it has the least amount of input lag (Great for competitive FPS games). Also does 3D gaming very well, likely better then any 1080P 3D display. Reason for that is with current 3D displays not able to do 1080P 60fps per eye yet. So have to resort to 1080PSBS 60fps or 720P 60fps page flip. And 720 up scaled to 1080P doesn't work the greatest, native works better per the PC gamer posts.
For movie projectors hard to say unless you state what you most prefer, 3D vs 2D, deep blacks, lack of motion artifacts etc.
Here are some to look into though. Benq W7000 DLP, Epson 5010 LCD, Sony HW30 and JVC RS45. There are others too these just came to mind quick for you to look into. The JVC is said to have a great 2D image but may come at some costs so best to really read each projectors official thread in these forums.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Didn't read through the whole post on the theater section. What kind of gaming do you plan to do? Console or PC gaming? Competitive FPS vs people or casual single player gaming? Looking for 3D gaming and movies?
Reading in your attached thread you planned on a 80" $5Kbudget. With that you could really go with a dedicated movie projector and a gaming projector. But going that route depends on the type of gaming you plan to do.
Gaming projector good for consoles and PC gaming the Optoma GT750. PC gamers rave this projector as it has the least amount of input lag (Great for competitive FPS games). Also does 3D gaming very well, likely better then any 1080P 3D display. Reason for that is with current 3D displays not able to do 1080P 60fps per eye yet. So have to resort to 1080PSBS 60fps or 720P 60fps page flip. And 720 up scaled to 1080P doesn't work the greatest, native works better per the PC gamer posts.
For movie projectors hard to say unless you state what you most prefer, 3D vs 2D, deep blacks, lack of motion artifacts etc.
Here are some to look into though. Benq W7000 DLP, Epson 5010 LCD, Sony HW30 and JVC RS45. There are others too these just came to mind quick for you to look into. The JVC is said to have a great 2D image but may come at some costs so best to really read each projectors official thread in these forums.

I will be doing gaming on a console, most likely PS3. Not too concerned about 3D but one that can handle movies too would be nice!
I think a happy middle between all the options is the way to go so top 3 picks is I guess what I'm looking for!

Thanks for the input!
Mehdi
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Liked: 13
Well I have the Acer H9500BD and do more gaming on it then movie watching but use for both. Is very similar to the BenQ W7000. The BenQ W7000 is more refined then the Acer H9500BD as it has a full color management system and more home theater menu base. Both are considered great for 3D content and very good at 2D content. Acer can be found around $1600 and the W7000 closer to $2000. Both are good with gaming 2D input lag around 30ms.

The Epson 3D capable projectors 3010,5010 and 6010 may have too much input lag if you planned to game on them. But with games that require quick responses from screen/controller/screen as in first person shooters and such it will be noticed.

The Sony HW30 is considered by some to be a great all around projector. Think it has decent input lag times for gaming. Deeper blacks then the two dlp unit's listed above. Capable of 3D output with minimal ghost/crosstalk, the two DLP units above have virtually no crosstalk, important for 3D gaming and movies.

May find this thread interesting to read http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout .

Think if I was in your shoe's I would have it narrowed down to either the W7000 or the HW30 . Both have there strength over the other and is a matter of which strengths matter to you. Both are well in your budget and do not believe spending more will not much gain staying anywhere near $5k.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Well I have the Acer H9500BD and do more gaming on it then movie watching but use for both. Is very similar to the BenQ W7000. The BenQ W7000 is more refined then the Acer H9500BD as it has a full color management system and more home theater menu base. Both are considered great for 3D content and very good at 2D content. Acer can be found around $1600 and the W7000 closer to $2000. Both are good with gaming 2D input lag around 30ms.
The Epson 3D capable projectors 3010,5010 and 6010 may have too much input lag if you planned to game on them. But with games that require quick responses from screen/controller/screen as in first person shooters and such it will be noticed.
The Sony HW30 is considered by some to be a great all around projector. Think it has decent input lag times for gaming. Deeper blacks then the two dlp unit's listed above. Capable of 3D output with minimal ghost/crosstalk, the two DLP units above have virtually no crosstalk, important for 3D gaming and movies.
May find this thread interesting to read http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout .
Think if I was in your shoe's I would have it narrowed down to either the W7000 or the HW30 . Both have there strength over the other and is a matter of which strengths matter to you. Both are well in your budget and do not believe spending more will not much gain staying anywhere near $5k.

Thank you so much, this is truly great feedback. I appreciate your help and if you don't mind I may bother you once more when I narrow my search a bit! Thanks again.

Mehdi
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

While I realize this is not the best thread, I have decided to go with a Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010. Any suggestions on this model and more importantly any place online trustworthy enough to purchase this from?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page