non-anamorphic LT-150z - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been enjoying my 150z immensely in the 3 months ive had it...but I'm still confused about a couple of issues. The first concerns non-anamorphic letterboxed dvd's. I usually leave the pj running in cinema mode (16x9) to take advantage of anamorphic movies...and I also select the 16x9 display output mode on my sony 7000 dvd player...but when I am watching a non-anamorphic dvd...do I convert both the pj and dvd players settings back to 4:3 mode or can I just leave them set where they are? How does leaving as is affect the picture quality? I also wonder why, when the movie is a wider aspect ratio than 16x9, that the letterbox bars produced by my dvd player are much lighter than the ones the pj produces to mask off the screen at 16x9. Thanks in advance for any clarification I get.

KO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

The DVD player settings do not need to change, the player will just output the signal as it sits on the disc.

For non-anamorphic, letterboxed discs, the projector display setting will probably need to be set to "normal", just like you would with a DVD with a "standard" aspect ratio DVD, such as M*A*S*H or most other TV shows.

I can't help you on the double letterbox bars, adjusting the brightness setting might help them blend together, but I can't say for sure as it might crush blacks in the image too.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2002, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Some nonanamorphic movies are recorded with the "black" (really more dark gray) letterbox bars built-in. Thus, you'll get these bars which will appear less dark than LT150's own letterbox bars because in the latter case it's unused pixels with the mirrors turned off completely while in the former the pixels are turned on slightly to reflect the recorded "black" or gray bars.

Huey ;-]
post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2002, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense...thanks a ton guys.

KO
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page