Problems with AR100U, please help. Thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok this is what I got, just incase you are wondering....

I've had the AR100U for about a month and a half, and have put around 200 hrs on it. The projector is shelf mounted, throwing from 12.5', to a 120" matte white 1.1 gain screen. I use a PS3, and Xbox for movies and games. I also have a PC hooked up to it as well, all via HDMI cables. Everything is fed into a Denon AVR-1910, and then out to the projector. I bought this as a upgrade from the AX200U, and so far, it's driving me a little nutty (and the wife is sick of hearing about it).

I seem to be exhibiting quite a few problems (which all or most may point to the same thing)...

The first problem I notice most when projecting either the menu screens of the ps3, xbox, or the desktop of the the pc. Everything seems to flicker...actually that's probably the wrong word for it, because it's not the same as the dreaded AX200U flicker issues. Everything pulses on the screen. In other words all of the still menues, words, and pictures seem to almost go in and out of focus, while the background stays the same. This seems to have started within the last week or so, as I can't remember it doing this at the get go.

This leads me to my next issue, which I thought was do to brightness, a higher resolution, and myself being overly sensitive, but now think it's not supposed to look like this. Motion is almost intolerable very frequently when watching anything (especially BluRays). For example at the beginning of Wall-E (BluRay) there is a panning overhead shot of the trash city, the motion of it is so jittery, it almost looks like I'm streaming a low quality version of it on youtube. Everything seems to leave a trail. Any panning shot makes my eyes jump.

The third problem, one that I could live with if it doesn't get any worse. When an all white screen is projected, the bottom of the screen looks pinkish.

And finally it's Eco mode vs. Normal. It does absolutely nothing switching between the two. I've tried different images toggling back and forth, and gotten right up to the screen and can see no change whatsoever. The first day I received the projector, I didn't really pay much attention to what was on the screen, but I did notice the fan noise was much different between the two. Now, that doesn't change either. You would think you would be able to notice a 25% decrease or increase of light output.

Alright, the things I've tried....Dismantling my entire set up and trying several different HDMI cables in varying lengths and brands (all 10' or 15'). Also trying direct connections to two different ps3's. Resetting the receiver to factor defaults (which was probably unnecessary, but I had planned on doing it any way).

Any suggestions of why these things might be happening, or do I just need to accept the fact I have to send it in. Thanks in advance for your help!

One more thing...is there any way to reset the projector to factory setting, or to you have to go through everything and push the default button on the remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Cubby, sorry to hear of your problems and from what you describe none of this is normal. There should be a difference in fan noise when switching from full to eco mode. There should be no pink on the bottom of the screen, no jittery motion on panning and no pulsing on pictures. You're certainly right to be concerned and I definitely think it's time to contact Panasonic for tech support on this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the replies over the last month Mr.G. You've been a great help. Guess I'll be calling Panasonic tomorrow. I ordered the projector from B & H along with the extended protection plan. So at least it's covered. I have a long long history of defective electronics, so much so that it's made me superstitious. Whenever I buy electronics, I usually have my wife, or who ever is with me pick the item off the shelf. When ordering online, I usually have my wife add it to the cart.....
This time I did it all, and guess what...defective unit.

Anyway, thanks again.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page